Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

70s? Fuji Espree

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-10, 10:06 AM
alr

Bikes: Nishiki Olympic 12 Mixte, Raleigh DL-1 lady

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
70s? Fuji Espree

I am looking for a smaller road bike for my husband to replace the god awful Cannondale mountain bike he has been riding. I am looking for specifically a lugged steel road bike that is not too heavy but that will accept a 1 1/4 width tire and fenders. He also would not like drop bars, so any bike I get, I would change out. Anyhow, I found this fuji, which has almost all the features I am thinking we would want. If I ever get the seller to contact me, is it worth it?

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/1779707344.html

Old 06-08-10, 12:04 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
I would say $175 is a "fair" price for one in excellent condition around here, except that the MTB bars/levers would probably knock 40%-50% off the sale price... (That could work to your advantage)

I believe it has Ukai wheels (usually pretty nice) butted tubing and a nice crank.

I think Seattle is a tougher market, so (if it looks like it fits), you may want to check out the condition in person, and maybe you can even do some wrangling on the price.
Old 06-08-10, 12:27 PM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 112 Posts
If it fits him and seems like the condition is ok when you go to look at it, I'd grab it. Sure, you can find much better deals on CL, but you have to look hard and move fast. As Auchencrow said, it is a fair price and I would think it is very fair for what I have seen of Seattle pricing.

The Espree is a pretty nice bike...upper entry level to lower mid level. Here are some catalog scans, in case you are interested.

https://classicfuji.com/Espree_Model_Years_Thumbs.htm

Based on the color, it looks like an 83 or 84. It is nice looking and it will save you the money of buying new bars.
Old 06-08-10, 01:49 PM
mtnwkr
Pro status

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's my bike... for what its worth, it was stripped to the bare frame, headset removed for an OA bath and re-installed, frame meticulously cleaned, new tires, new grips, had to change out the rear derailure, gears and brakes adjusted and working great. Wheels are straight and true and spin nicely. It's an 84. I put about 5-6 hrs into re-habing this one and it's a very nice riding machine.

Here's the before picture.

After

Old 06-08-10, 05:37 PM
mtnwkr
Pro status

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And I'll go $150 for you since it's going to good hands.
Old 06-08-10, 05:59 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I do think you should have left the stem

...and next time you come up with a perfect Club Fuji frame in Flamingo...hit me up first, ok?!
Old 06-08-10, 06:03 PM
mtnwkr
Pro status

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It wad a team fuji Just not sure I'm ready to start shipping frames.
Old 06-08-10, 08:00 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I have an 85 Espree. It is a very nice bike. I'm assuming from the earlier post the owner re-lubed everything and trued the wheels, adjusted the brakes, etc. That would cost around $75 or more at an LBS. The price to you is $150. Look at it this way. If you buy a bike that is really ride ready like this one, discount the labor and you're actually paying $75 for the bike and $75 for the labor to make it right. Now the price doesn't look that high. Just one bit of advice, ask the owner if he relubed the bottom bracket and both hubs. If yes, I'd buy it. The trouble free operation of a bike like that is worth the price.
Old 06-08-10, 09:55 PM
alr

Bikes: Nishiki Olympic 12 Mixte, Raleigh DL-1 lady

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
mtnwkr, I certainly think the bike looks nice (and thanks for showing the before pics-- that was pretty nice pink bar tape-- what was that person thinking with a maroon bike!)... but as it is intended for my husband, and as he works on your side of the water and I don't, I have put this in his hands. Thanks for popping in here and saying hello!