Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Titan Bicycles of Switzerland

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-10, 02:23 PM
mtnwkr
Pro status

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Adding this for history purposes.
This was an older Titan Exklusiv that I restored a few years back when I first got into the C&V thing. Wish I would have kept it, it's another "what was I thinking" to add to the list.

As found pics:

Old 06-24-10, 02:31 PM
mtnwkr
Pro status

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
During and after:

Sorry for the photo bomb!
Old 06-24-10, 02:46 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
I seem to be overly attracted to Titan bikes despite not really being familiar with them. last year a nice engraved 3TTT Titan stem with the impressive swiss cross flag proudly carved on the head of the bar clamp, painted red and white, went up for auction at ebay. I bid on it but missed winning it at the last minute. I swear, if I had won it, it would have been the basis of the start of a Titan bike build up for me!!....even though I had no clue what titan bikes were all about at that time!
I dinno, The whole Swiss bike uniqueness and mistique(?) seems to really get me going!
Maybe it's the contrast of the very powerful sounding name "Titan" and the neutral nature of the Swiss as a country that gives it that cool twist for me.....

Chombi
Old 06-24-10, 11:29 PM
mtnwkr
Pro status

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that's a sweet build lugnut. I really like the natural cork tape.
Old 06-26-10, 12:11 PM
1 Lugnut

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Colnago Super, Mondia Super, Mondia Special, Mondia Prestige (for sale 55cm),Titan Star, Titan Exklusiv, Windsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnwkr
that's a sweet build lugnut. I really like the natural cork tape.
Thx mtnwkr!

I'm still ironing a few bugs out of it. Seapost keeps slipping down..grrr! But it rides very nice. I switched-out the rear wheel & axle so I could use an older wheel I had that's virtually brand new. The rear wheel in the Pic runs OK, it was a liitle thrashed looking, so it replaced it. Whoever built the new one, tied & soldered the spokes the non-drive side...lol. Talk about old-school! A freind that I biked with was giving-up biking & sold them to me for a song.

Great restoration on reviving your Titan, I've always liked Pearl White for a bike color!
Old 07-12-10, 04:53 AM
wildjim
Jim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HBS
Nice job Ollo ! We are the importer to the US for these frames. We still have about 150 of these frames in our warehouse. We stopped selling them because we got busy with our new stock and ran out of boxes, and they take us so long to prep for sale, we have been ignoring them. We now need some free warehouse space so we are going to start selling them again. When we started selling them on Ebay, our name was Shopcountryside, it's now Hoosier Bicycle Supply. We will sell them for $100 each, shipping included. As is. Paid through Paypal. I will add some pictures later. Some have a weird binder bolt which we don't have but for the rest we will put in binder bolts and drop out screws as long as they last. You can send questions to us at. hoosierbicyclesupply@yahoo.com. We will post pictures later this week. We have a lot of the purple silver, very tall gold, very tall blue and white. Got a few marble left with Campy dropouts. We have a couple psychedelic left, and the rest is a hodgepodge. Right now, we only have 5 shipping boxes so we will try and track down some shipping boxes this week. These are some cool frames and we love the builds we have seen over the years !
Good News!

I'll have to dig up my old Titan build notes ; )
Old 07-16-10, 10:46 AM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Do you include forks with all these frames? If you do, can you include pics of them.
What the threading on the frame? Tubing?

Chombi
Old 07-19-10, 03:12 AM
wildjim
Jim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

December 4, 2005

I will offer some insight from my experience with five of these frames:

The Seat post on all but one of mine is 27.0 rather than the more common 27.2; But easy to locate on Ebay. I used Ritchey and Easton Seat Posts in 27.0 and one 3TTT in 27.2

A 4mm to 2mm step down ferrule is needed for the rear derailleur cable stop fitting.

The Titans that I own will all accept a currently available Wheelset with Shimano 9 speed hub spacing of 130mm without any problems. I use friction shifting as this what I prefer. I have not tried 10 speed yet; but the hub/cassette spacing is nearly the same as 9 speed so it should workout if used with 10 speed components and chain.

The Tange Fork's Crown Race size is 27.0 rather than the more common 26.4; which you may file to fit or have the LBS do it for about 15-25 dollars. I used Tange Aheadsets $16 on Ebay and filed one to fit. On the others a size 27.0 fork crown race was purchased separately from https://www.bikeparts.com for $3 each. I also found one Ritchey Fuzzy Logic Headset which has a 27.0 crown race.

There is enough wheel clearance to use 28mm Continental Ultra 3000 tires or 28mm Performance GT2 tires.

Two of the Bottom Brackets on my frames needed to be re-threaded and faced as the starting threads would not allow the BB to start straight. This is another inexpensive LBS chore as they will thread and face the BB and install the BB for 15-25 dollars (my actual cost for two frames $15 and $25). Be sure that the LBS has an Italian BB Thread Tap Tool as many LBS's do not.

I’ve used currently available NEW and NOS Campagnolo Veloce, Centaur, Stratos, and Record components and all fit perfectly.

If you choose the Campagnolo Mirage, Veloce or Centaur BB then I strongly suggest that you invest in the Tacx bottom bracket tool or Campagnolo BB Tool that is designed for that BB. It will make the job "so" much easier.

The TACX BB tool is spring loaded and screws into the BB spindle; thereby applying force to hold it’s self in place for a non-slip BB tool.

I used a DIY home made headset press tool; which functions perfectly. It is basically a section of 3/8in. AllThread - Washers - Nuts - and PVC Couplers to press the Metal Cups without damage. Simple and Cheap to build. All supplies can be found at Home Depot Store or a similar Hardware Store.

I used a 12 inch section of steel pipe and a bronze or copper bushing to seat the crown race; which I found at the Home Depot store.

The Steering Tubes were cut with a pipe cutting tool then the sharp edges were filed smooth.

A DIY Star Fangled Nut tool can be assembled using a bolt, washers, and bronze pipe fitting or “socket wrench” of a smaller diameter. Place the bronze pipe fitting or “socket wrench” against the star nut then place the washers on top of the socket and screw the assembly together with bolt. Then hammer the star nut down into place about 7mm down from the top edge of the steering tube.

The end result will be an amazing riding bicycle.

Wow July 2010 already, five years of bliss since starting the original thread and riding the Titan frames ; )

I just ordered another frame to build for a friend, I may have enough spare parts left over for the build. . .

Last edited by wildjim; 07-19-10 at 03:32 AM.
Old 07-26-10, 06:25 PM
HBS

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jim, you are a Titan building God :-) We love these frames and from the get go, you were the guy with the info. Thanks for posting all of your history on the frames.
Old 10-26-10, 01:55 AM
LECHERO531

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
would anyone know what the original threading to the bottom brkt is ? thought it might be swiss but not sure...thks
Old 10-26-10, 06:53 AM
buldogge

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Depends on which frame... Some are English and some are Italian...haven't heard of any being Swiss yet.

Easiest check is to see if the drive side is reverse thread...if not...it is probably Italian.

Otherwise, get out the thread gauges and calipers and go from there...Sheldon Brown's pages will give you the proper threading for each kind.

Originally Posted by LECHERO531
would anyone know what the original threading to the bottom brkt is ? thought it might be swiss but not sure...thks
Old 10-26-10, 10:43 AM
Chombi

I would guess that they are mostly Italian, as it was noted by many, that their frames are built in Italy.
It would be nice it it's English though, so choices for BBs would be more extensive.
Doubtful if it's Swiss threaded. Only the French bike companies really got into the French threaded BBs in the 70's and early 80's.

Chombi
Old 10-26-10, 12:10 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts
The are some great lookng bikes in this thread. Are there any Titan frames with the same paint job(color/graphics/design)? So far in my short time owning one, I have yet to see two that look alike.

Here is is my Titan. I don't have any idea when it was made, but considering the 7 speed 105 group on it, I would guess late 80s. This is Aelle tubing, not very light, but it rides great.

Old 10-26-10, 01:30 PM
buldogge

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Thron tubed/fastback seatstay bikes, at least, are English threaded. I believe the marble (maybe SLX) frames were Italian though.

Originally Posted by Chombi
I would guess that they are mostly Italian, as it was noted by many, that their frames are built in Italy.
It would be nice it it's English though, so choices for BBs would be more extensive.
Doubtful if it's Swiss threaded. Only the French bike companies really got into the French threaded BBs in the 70's and early 80's.

Chombi
Old 11-01-10, 01:48 AM
wildjim
Jim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by buldogge
The Thron tubed/fastback seatstay bikes, at least, are English threaded. I believe the marble (maybe SLX) frames were Italian though.
All six of my Titan frames are Italian. I have two the same (gray marble) The Campagnolo BB is good for me ; )
Old 11-03-10, 08:55 AM
LECHERO531

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wildjim
All six of my Titan frames are Italian. I have two the same (gray marble) The Campagnolo BB is good for me ; )
I just bought 2 more frames, a white marble and a three color number. So I guess slx and maybe cro-mo or alle. Seems to be the consensus is Italian, can work with that. If not I was going to have rethreaded to it. Will keep all posted, thks to all again,

Buldogge: would like to see pics of the Supercourse as I have one to.
Old 11-12-11, 05:47 PM
digaphobia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Titan pleated tubing

I recently acquired a frame with the same pleated tubing as ollo_ollo's Titan #2. It was poorly branded by some fool with De Rosa and Columbus SLX decals, but has the same pleating on the top and down tubes, and seat and head tube lug work, as well as unbranded 126mm drop outs and 70mm Italian bottom bracket shell. Mine is partially chromed, and partially painted (poorly, so it may not be original). The frame takes a braze on front derailleur and a 27.0 post (though it fits a 26.8 far better). Lastly, it too is 53cm x 55cm.

All of that said, I happened to come across ollo's BikeJournal profile which states that his Titan #2 frame was built with Columbus SL and double butted Chromor. Don, I'm curious, how did you come to that conclusion? Also, does your serial number jive with mine? Anyone else with info is welcome to chime in, of course.

Here are some photos:

I know Titan frames came without forks, but I remember reading something a few being packaged with Tange forks. This came with one, though it has more fake Columbus decals on it.

Thanks so much for any help you can give me!

Last edited by digaphobia; 11-12-11 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-13-11, 01:02 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 788 Posts
You're right it's no DeRosa, but the question is: why do you think this is a Titan? There were several makes that employed this embossed tubing, and where it came from remains a mystery (to me, anyway). The details of your frame suggest it could be from one of the Italian contract builders who made frames that became labeled as many brands, some well-known, others never heard of. The "heart" cut-out lugs were especially popular, and the dropouts are frequently seen with "Columbus" stamped on them, but probably not forged by Columbus...more likely Technociclo or Silva.
Old 11-15-11, 10:11 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
A Tange fork was part of the deal when they were selling them online.

Does everyone understand that these are not Swiss-made bikes? They were made by an italian company.
Old 08-02-12, 09:25 AM
resende

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello friends. I´m from Portugal and i bought a TITAN bicycle. The paint job was very bad so i painted the bicycle. I want to ask if some of you that have a TITAN can please send me pictures of all the original decals in good resolution for i can make news. After i made the decals i can give to who need...

Sorry for my english

Regards
Rui
Old 08-02-12, 01:27 PM
1 Lugnut

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Colnago Super, Mondia Super, Mondia Special, Mondia Prestige (for sale 55cm),Titan Star, Titan Exklusiv, Windsor

Originally Posted by resende
Hello friends. I´m from Portugal and i bought a TITAN bicycle. I want to ask if some of you that have a TITAN can please send me pictures of all the original decals in good resolution for i can make news.

Regards
Rui
Welcome to the forum Rui...

I have a Titan Frame as well as a set of the deals, but I never mounted the decals on the bike. I wasn't crazy about the way they looked so I went for the no-name look. I will dig them up & shoot some Pics for you. Give me a little time, I injured my knee so it's a little hard for me to get around....!

Last edited by 1 Lugnut; 08-02-12 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-02-12, 03:18 PM
1 Lugnut

It's a bit hard to see the actual Decal w/ the protective Mylar overlay on it. The yellow imprinting on it is also part of the protective layer. The actual Decal's letters are Silver & they are on a White backround.

Old 08-02-12, 03:47 PM
Chombi

Originally Posted by 1 Lugnut
It's a bit hard to see the actual Decal w/ the protective Mylar overlay on it. The yellow imprinting on it is also part of the protective layer. The actual Decal's letters are Silver & they are on a White backround.

Interesting decals, most of the Swiss Titan bikes I've seen posted in this forum do not have any decals, but the few I've seen, including the ones on this thread, seems to have a very different font that matches my Titan stem's pantograph:

The one on the middle.
Could your Titan be a newer 90's one? I've never seen the "Star" name connected with Titan either. It kinda makes your bike sound even more interesting that the other's I've seen already. May I ask where you found it?

Chombi
(Still on the lookout for a Titan project bike)
Old 08-02-12, 04:40 PM
1 Lugnut

Originally Posted by Chombi
Interesting decals, most of the Swiss Titan bikes I've seen posted in this forum do not have any decals, but the few I've seen, including the ones on this thread, seems to have a very different font that matches my Titan stem's pantograph:

Could your Titan be a newer 90's one? I've never seen the "Star" name connected with Titan either. It kinda makes your bike sound even more interesting that the other's I've seen already. May I ask where you found it?

Chombi
Chombi:

My Titan was one of many that were on Ebay about 5 or 6 years ago. Supposedly made in the 80's in Italy, but sold through a Swiss Co...? I scored mine for $125. Not sure what tubing it is, but the completed bike came out weighing relatively light. At 56 cm, it's a great riding bike & I find myself riding it more than my other bikes! It sat for a long time unbuilt after I got, as it was going to be for my daughter, but her enthusiasm for biking wasn't there, so I decided to ride it myself.

The decals were part of the sale too, but I was never crazy about their looks, so I put them away. IIRC, it came w/ a unicrown fork that was butt ugly. I junked the fork & replaced them w/ an old Italvega fork I had stashed in my parts drawer years ago & had it painted to match the frame & then built the bike up w/ a mix of Campy parts I had from past builds, except for the Carbon seatpost & saddle. The frame needed quite a bit of prep when I 1st got it. I also had to have the Italvega's steerer tube cut back & re-threaded to fit the frame since it was orig for a 63 cm bike...

Last edited by 1 Lugnut; 08-28-18 at 11:20 PM.
Old 08-02-12, 04:50 PM
Chombi

Thanks for clarifying. I still wonder what the "- Star" on the DT decals denotes. You might be right to not put on those decals as it seems the colors on it might not work too well on your Titan's paint scheme. I do like the fonts on it though.
That's that big warehouse sale for Titan frames then that ended almost two years ago you are mentioning? I missed that. Only caught the tail end of it when there were no real nice ones left in their list....so I continue to hold on to the Titan stem in my component stash hoping one would someday pop up for me......Literally building a Titan from stem down, I guess!

Chombi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.