Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Should I buy this Fuji S12?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-10, 12:20 AM
Newbs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I really know very little about bikes but am looking to buy my first one since I was a kid and could use a little help from some pros about a potential purchase.

Long story short: I'm 6'7" so I assume that most bikes I find will be too small. I'm looking for a used road bike that won't be too pricey (i.e. under $200) for my first bike.

So why am I posting in this forum? Because I'm being offered a Fuji S12 for $150 and honestly have no idea if it's worth it, though I am starting to suspect that it's a pretty high asking price. (Seriously, I don't know much about this, any of you here could swindle me easily. )

I'll cross my fingers hoping for some helpful feedback. Unfortunately I haven't lurked here enough to know what an ignorant new poster should expect.
Old 06-25-10, 12:40 AM
mtnwkr
Pro status

Bikes: many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks much too small for you. At 6'3" I prefer a 63cm frame, that looks like a 58cm. I would hold out for something larger.
Could be the angle but the fork looks bent forward too.
Old 06-25-10, 03:29 AM
ftwelder

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I would pass on that. If it was spotless and had been kept indoors that price might fly.
Old 06-25-10, 04:04 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
An S12 was my first real road bike back in 1976. It's a HEAVY bike. While not as porky as a Varsity, it's still no light weight.
Old 06-25-10, 05:27 AM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
Don't confuse an S12-S with a Sports 12 ... This is a Sports 12, not at all the same animal.

The first reference I can see at ClassicFuji.com is 1980 for this model .. but the components on the photo provided by the OP suggest a mid '70's model Sports 10. The style of the Dia Compe top tube cable clips suggest a much earlier bike as well.

Scott

IG @scottryder.surf.cycle
IG @scottryder.fine.art

Old 06-25-10, 06:20 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3093 Post(s)
Liked 6,610 Times in 3,788 Posts
Waaaay to small of a bike for someone 6'7".

You won't be comfortable on that bike. Please keep looking.

OP, where are you from?

Old 06-25-10, 08:41 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I suppose it all depends on how aggresive a riding posture you prefer, but I can't fathom one in which a 58-59cm frame will accomodate a person 6'7". I'm 6'0" and ride 63cm (25") frames. That said I have long legs and prefer a slightly more relaxed posture for long distances. Schwinn, Raleigh, Nishiki and others produced many of their models in 27" (68cm) sizes. I think you should be looking for one of those. Searching for "tall" or "large" frame bikes should yield some results. In your case you're going to have to be patient. Good luck!
Old 06-25-10, 08:41 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
+10 Way too small.

+10 Poor condition.

+10 Not an S12S unfortunately. Sport 12 is bottom of the barrel. S12S is a pretty decent bike.

Its a big NO on this deal.

You need to look for a XXL frame, something like a 66cm to 68 cm frame size. They are rare, but they are out there. And the good news is that there are not many buyers for bikes that large, so they usually sell at a discount.
Old 06-25-10, 08:43 AM
Newbs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone. I really do appreciate the feedback. I've been wanting to finally get a bike for the last year or two (granted, my interest goes up and down in waves) but never feel like I know enough to make a smart decision and don't want to pay full price for a brand new one for my first one.

@Scott - Good to know. I thought I had picked up on bike lingo of shortening calling a Sports 12 to S12. Whoops!!

@cb400 - I live in Minneapolis, MN. Called a local refurbished bike shop that a friend recommended to see if they had anything my size, sadly they didn't.
Old 06-25-10, 09:20 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Here are a few finds on the Minneapolis CL.

https://re-cycle.com/bike.aspx?pic=3580 This is the nicest tall bike I found. Overpriced for its condition. Someone tell me why they put 170mm cranks on bikes this tall?

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...807556598.html As usual, the pics suck. Not a high-end bike and not worth the asking price, but chances are anyone selling a frame this big has had it a while and just wants it gone. Keep that in mind when making an offer on a bike.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...800567483.html Probably a touch shorter than ideal. Bar-end shifters are nice.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...791716376.html Way overpriced.
Old 06-25-10, 09:23 AM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Oh, you're in C&V member Khatful's area. Don't worry, he only likes pink and turquoise Fujis ..

Scott

IG @scottryder.fine.art

Old 06-25-10, 01:34 PM
Newbs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh good to hear. I'd hate to have him buying up everything that was half way decent out from under me. But I'm just fine with letting the pink and turquoise Fujis pass.

@Lloyd - I emailed the second link you posted. That's actually my neighborhood in Minneapolis so it shouldn't be too hard to get over there for a test ride at least. Hope they'll come down in price a bit.
Old 06-29-10, 10:22 AM
Newbs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I'm actually going to take a look at this one today:
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...807556598.html

Any pro tips on what a newcomer like me should know/look for on this bike?
Old 06-29-10, 10:58 AM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Dang, if I weren't flying out on business in 3 hours or so I'd offer to take a look with you.

Size looks good for you.
Appears to be an 82 Supreme: https://classicfuji.com/Supreme_1982_Page.htm
If the little pics are any indication it looks to be in really nice shape.
Make sure everything that turns turns freely without any "catches" or 'clicks" or anything that feels out of the ordinary.
You'll probably want to replace cables and housings, perhaps tires and tubes, maybe some fresh bar tape.
It's not a lightweight, but not a boat anchor either.

Tell you what, if you do get it PM me...I'd be happy to help you assess it. I won't be back in town until Saturday again but after the 4th I'd be happy to lend a hand.

Also, try to work on the price too Unfortunately MSP market prices are pretty high compared to other parts of the country....such is life when you live in the #1 bicycle friendly city in the US huh?

-Keith
Old 06-29-10, 11:04 AM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

That is a big 'un isn't it?

Scott

IG @scottryder.fine.art

Old 06-29-10, 11:05 AM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottryder
That is a big 'un isn't it? Scott
So is a 6'7" rider
Old 06-29-10, 12:09 PM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 179 Posts
Good thing you stopped by here first, that first bike you posted is way too small. At 6'6" I know what you are going through to find a bike that fits. You will want to go with a 66cm to 70cm frame, don't fool yourself and think 63cm is close. You will feel cramped on it.

Out of the bikes posted by the Colonel, you made the right choice to look at the Fuji first. The others are overpriced, but I don't know the Minneapolis market.

Some of the bikes I always look that come in a large frae and are a good value for around $200 are;

Bridgestone 400 - I have 2 in 69cm's. They are relatively light for their size. The top tubes are longer than most larger bikes at 63cm.

Fuji Royale - A step up from the Supreme in frame material and componets.

Bianchi's - Hard to find, but they did make some 70cm frames.

Schwinn LeTour- Models vary aloy by years, but the late 80's were True Temper 4130 Cro-mo frames. They came in 27".

Panasonic 200 or 300.

Basically many of the Japanese brands made some of their mid level bikes in larger frames. Try to get something Cro-mo from Univega, Fuji, Bridgestone or Fuji. There are some Reynolds 531 frames in larger sizes but they are very rare.

The best way to search CL is use "Very Large "or "Very Tall" or try "69cm". You may find some custom builders that made large frames that way.
Old 06-29-10, 12:33 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
That Fuji looks nice, but the prices in Minneapolis market lately are starting to get out of control.

I volunteer at Mr. Michael Recycles Bicycles. I was planning on going in tonight; I'll ask if he has any very tall frames he'd be willing to sell if you don't get the Fuji. He did have some 25" frames, but there may be a 27" floating around.
Old 06-29-10, 01:26 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Shame you're not in Nashville...price is even right:

https://nashville.craigslist.org/bik/1789965005.html
Old 06-29-10, 01:43 PM
Chris Chicago

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Kind of wild how the xtra tall frames make the wheels look like 20 inchers
Old 06-29-10, 06:03 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
OP, let us know how it went looking at the Fuji.
Old 06-29-10, 07:16 PM
Newbs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got back home, tried the bike out earlier this afternoon. The chain was coming off the gear at first, but the guy selling it seems to know a thing or two about bikes (i.e. more than me) and with a quick adjustment with the screwdriver had it tighter on there and working correctly.

Took it for a short ride around the neighborhood. (Side note: I love living in NE Minneapolis) It felt big enough, which was good. It was shifting and breaking decently too. I'm obviously no expert but I'd suspect both are things that could be worked on in the future to make tighter and more responsive, but I didn't have any issues either.

It has been years since I've ridden a bike, so half the time I was trying to get comfortable again. Can't say I enjoyed the comfort of the seat a whole lot, but figure I'd either get used to it or get a better one.

The couple who I met is selling it for their brother and said they think he'd be willing to negotiate some with the price. Oh, and you're right about the year, said it was an 82 or 83 (I forget which now) with its original parts. I told them I was going to get back to them after doing some more research on the bike and thinking it over for a few days.

So you know what the saddest part of this whole thing was? If any of you would have seen me, a 30 year old 6'7" man who hasn't ridden a bike regularly since the mid 90s, trying to get comfortable on one again. I bet I looked awkward as all get out...
Old 06-29-10, 07:26 PM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Originally Posted by Newbs
I bet I looked awkward as all get out...
Yea, but I bet it felt pretty good didn't it?

I've been there, I know.

Scott

IG @scottryder.fine.art

Old 06-29-10, 08:12 PM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
For some uknown reason, I seem to find a lot of Panasonics in sizes that are nearly appropriate for a guy your size, and not so much for a guy like me (5'8-1/2"). I would keep that in my quiver of search terms for bicycles in your size range.

Does your hair graze most door frames? They tend to be 6'-8" or 7'-0", and I could never comprehend why...
Old 06-29-10, 09:55 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by gna
That Fuji looks nice, but the prices in Minneapolis market lately are starting to get out of control.

I volunteer at Mr. Michael Recycles Bicycles. I was planning on going in tonight; I'll ask if he has any very tall frames he'd be willing to sell if you don't get the Fuji. He did have some 25" frames, but there may be a 27" floating around.
No 27" frames in the shop; sorry.

Took it for a short ride around the neighborhood. (Side note: I love living in NE Minneapolis)
Because it's like St. Paul?

It felt big enough, which was good. It was shifting and breaking decently too. I'm obviously no expert but I'd suspect both are things that could be worked on in the future to make tighter and more responsive, but I didn't have any issues either.

It has been years since I've ridden a bike, so half the time I was trying to get comfortable again. Can't say I enjoyed the comfort of the seat a whole lot, but figure I'd either get used to it or get a better one.

The couple who I met is selling it for their brother and said they think he'd be willing to negotiate some with the price. Oh, and you're right about the year, said it was an 82 or 83 (I forget which now) with its original parts. I told them I was going to get back to them after doing some more research on the bike and thinking it over for a few days.

So you know what the saddest part of this whole thing was? If any of you would have seen me, a 30 year old 6'7" man who hasn't ridden a bike regularly since the mid 90s, trying to get comfortable on one again. I bet I looked awkward as all get out...
Hey, who cares? I'm a slobby middle-aged man riding a Raleigh 3-speed, but I feel like I'm twelve years old again when I'm on my bike. Enjoy the ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.