Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

CoMotion Siskiyou with Pinion/Gates

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

CoMotion Siskiyou with Pinion/Gates

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-17, 03:37 PM
Mtroup

Bikes: Jones Plus, Tern Verge Tour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl
I know, right? It seems to me that a belt drive is the cherry on top for a build that includes a Rohloff. Surly is a forward-thinking company, and they certainly own a share of the touring market. One would think that someone there would have come to the conclusion that a split dropout would help to sell more bikes. Look at the World Troller for instance. It has every option available and is a very versatile frame. You could even hang two or three different types of brakes on it, but NO split dropout. An oversight... surely... for Surly...
Have a fabricator install a splitter on the chainstay. Cost me about $150. Instant Gates compatibility for any bike.
Old 07-20-17, 03:40 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Really interesting! Any pictures? An S&S I assume. Or is it something else?

Last edited by Squeezebox; 07-20-17 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-20-17, 03:50 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why are so many people here offended by bicycles that are better than theirs?
Old 07-20-17, 03:54 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtroup
Have a fabricator install a splitter on the chainstay. Cost me about $150. Instant Gates compatibility for any bike.
Probably a good chance to have it re-powder-coated, and to change the color as well. Surly offers all the decals/labels for replacement.

FWIW, I just changed out the 32T front chainring on my ECR. Coupled with the 45T rear, I was getting like 21.3 gear inches for a low. I installed a 28T and WOW! A solid 18.6 and what a difference. This is using Sheldon Brown's calculator, btw.
Old 07-20-17, 04:00 PM
Mtroup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
Not SKS. Hard to explain without pics. With pics, it's so simple, it becomes self explanatory. I'll upload something tonight.
Old 07-20-17, 04:33 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Nobody is offended. I'm questioning if its truly functionally or logically better for touring? At this point all I can say for sure is it's four times as expensive.

Last edited by BigAura; 07-20-17 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-20-17, 04:57 PM
BigAura

Frame tube splitters
Old 07-20-17, 05:36 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl
..., you can make a grocery run in a Corvette or a Pinto. In the end you get the same results.
But the food tastes so much better when you rode your Rohloff bike to the grocery store. <Insert chuckle here.>

Originally Posted by elcruxio
... I think Rohloff also has a torque limit but I have no idea what that is.
To the best of my knowledge Rohloff does not have a torque limit but they do have a limit on the ratio of chainring to rear sprocket, riders under 100 kg that ratio is 1.9, heavier rider and tandems have a higher ratio but I am not sure what that currently is. Although setting a ratio like that is a form of torque limiting, it is much less precise than the specification you cited for the pinion.

For touring with a load I use a chainring with a 2.25 ratio. The 2.25 ratio gives me a first gear that has a cadence of 72 at 3.5 mph with a 57mm wide 26 inch tire. I need 3.5 mph to maintain vertical and directional stability, so a lower gear would be lower than I would find useful. For unladen riding around home I change that to 2.75 ratio as I find an unloaded bike does not need the lowest gears for the hills near my home.

Originally Posted by seeker333
I'd pick Rohloff over Pinion too. ...
I'd pick this Siskiyou with Rohloff hub, less-rack-mount-interfering chainstay brake caliper mount and eccentric BB.

CoMo offers the Pathfinder Package as a $600 option on all it's bike, consisting of a Schmidt SON28 hub, Edelux II headlight and Sinewave Cycles Reactor USB steerer cap. That is a good lighting/charging package but it's twice what you or I would pay for the parts from a German LBS (which is the case for every component or option on a CoMo bike).....
I considered the Pangea and Thorn Nomad Mk II which is what I eventually got. Both are 26 inch. I think that 26 inch wheels make a bit more sense for an S&S bike than a 650b wheel as they are a bit smaller diameter and fit better in the case. But the 650b beats the 700c wheel in this regard, so maybe the choice of 650b was a compromise.

I found that the Sinewave does not play well with my Garmin 64, the Sinewave lacks a cache battery that my Garmin appears to require. To make my Garmin 64 work with the Sinewave, I need an external cache battery. Perhaps the other Garmin models work with the Sinewave directly, but not my Garmin 64. My Garmin 64 also works great with the B&M Luxox U because it has a cache battery built in.
Old 07-20-17, 05:37 PM
Mtroup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
Yep.

By the way, someone else had mentioned that after splitting the chainstay, that's a good time to do a new powdercoat. It's not absloutely necessary, but that is in fact exactly what I did. But you can leave it as is for that Mad Max post-apocalyptic welded look.
Old 07-20-17, 09:21 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
Nobody is offended. I'm questioning if its truly functionally or logically better for touring? At this point all I can say for sure is it's four times as expensive.
This.

I watched the video and thought that, if he had been riding a traditionally geared bike it would have appeared much the same.

I can see see the real value of S&S or folding capability for air/bus/train travel and would invest in it if I were doing a lot. But the Pinion system just seems to give more negatives in terms of lack of service support than positives in terms of increased performance at a pretty steep cost.

When my knee gets better (knock on wood) I plan to invest in a faster UL touring/road bike similar to those ridden in the Trans Am race (well, probably a lower tier model anyway) as that is area of touring that interests me and that I want to devote a good chunk of training towards. When I put in the work and begin finding my progress limited by the bike, I'll upgrade in a way that gives measurable benefits.

Also, watch where you are riding. Yesterday on my SS I was looking down at my rear brakes wondering if they were rubbing when..

Wham!

Rode straight into the back of a parked car.

Over the handlebars and onto the ground. Took the stem nut in the thigh. Thank goodness the bike was ok!

zzzzzzzzzz20170720_195548[1] by dc460, on Flickr
Old 07-20-17, 09:32 PM
BigAura

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Dang! Sorry to hear that. Heal well.

Also: Glad to hear the bike's OK
Old 07-21-17, 11:07 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

When my knee gets better (knock on wood) I plan to ...

Wham! Rode straight into the back of a parked car.
I had some serious knee issues about a decade ago. At that point I quit standing on the pedals to accelerate from stops or to stand on the pedals to power up hills. Instead I stay in the saddle and gear down. My knees are much happier. But I still carry a knee brace with me when touring because sometimes I get a bit of knee pain.

The car bike collision - I have no advice.
Old 07-21-17, 11:27 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Yes
Just out of curiosity I looked up that Bilenky sells the S&S LHT for $2400 and the DT for $2550.
No answer if they will do split dropouts, or $$ for it.
I'm sure Bilenky would do split dropout. Their prices are fair but not cheap. For folks not happy with production tourers Bilenky offers all sorts of tubing/component/geometry options incl Reynolds/Columbus/Ti.
Old 07-21-17, 11:44 PM
Happy Feet

Awesome day at work today!

After a year of talking about doing it we finally received our Duet bicycle for a therapy program they are letting me head up at work. My employer was pretty supportive of the awareness ride I did last fall and I guess I'm the bicycle guy for the moment. Spent part of my time today assembling it and next week will develop the guidelines for use.

Besides being pretty excited about the opportunity this will allow residents, I thought it was pretty funny seeing as we are talking about expensive bikes and couplers (which it has/is both).

Made in Holland, Nexus 8sp IGH. Drum brakes. The bar behind the wheelchair raises up and you brake and steer from there. The bottom tube pivots under the wheelchair and disconnects with a coupler so you can wheel people to and from the start point. Work just got a whole lot more fun.

Nothing to do with touring, just sharing the happiness of bicycling

zzzzzzzzzz20170721_110744[2] by dc460, on Flickr

zzzzzzzzzz20170721_111416[1] (2) by dc460, on Flickr
Old 07-22-17, 12:03 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
This....
Wham!

Over the handlebars and onto the ground. Took the stem nut in the thigh. Thank goodness the bike was ok!

lucky you weren't riding a bike with stem shifters! owies!
Old 07-22-17, 05:01 AM
Tourist in MSN

After a year of talking about doing it we finally received our Duet bicycle ...

zzzzzzzzzz20170721_110744[2] by dc460, on Flickr
Why is there a kickstand on a three wheeler? Or is the plan that you can disconnect the front half and the kickstand is then needed to support the back half?

Weird place to mount the shifter.

If that has a drum brake on each front wheel, you will need to get those balanced so it does not pull to one side.

Thanks for posting, I never saw a bike with a wheel chair up front.
Old 07-22-17, 07:50 AM
Happy Feet

There is a coupler about 2/3 the way up the bottom/down tube where blue turns metallic. The KS keeps the tube from gouging into the ground.

That is a weird place for the shifter but I think that's because it wouldn't fit on the wheelchair rail that is used as a handlebar. The brakes are balanced. The company that built it did a very good job at quality control it appears. Tires inflated to proper psi even.
Old 07-22-17, 08:26 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtroup
That's a pretty pimp ride. I'd love to try a Pinion system and see how it compares with the Rohloff.
Even heavier....
Old 07-22-17, 08:39 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
It needs to be kept in mind that the Pinion only allows for 250nm max torque. Now that's not something people usually pull off touring but it is something I can push relatively easily especially when climbing a hill, or rather, starting off in the middle of a steep one. I think Rohloff also has a torque limit but I have no idea what that is.
250nm = somebody who weighs 145kg standing on a 175mm crank with the wheel locked. I'm guessing the 110kg weight limit is to allow for shock loading.
Old 07-22-17, 08:58 AM
36Oly_Rider

Bikes: Black Beauty; The Lone Ranger; Samsquantch

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think he may have a good rep with Co-Motion and either they offered it to him or gave him one heckuva discount. He did seem rather hesitant to ride on 650B's talking about it in one of his earlier video's. Either way, it is a nice bike.
Old 07-23-17, 09:24 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts

After a year of talking about doing it we finally received our Duet bicycle for a therapy program they are letting me head up at work. My employer was pretty supportive of the awareness ride I did last fall and I guess I'm the bicycle guy for the moment. Spent part of my time today assembling it and next week will develop the guidelines for use.

Besides being pretty excited about the opportunity this will allow residents, I thought it was pretty funny seeing as we are talking about expensive bikes and couplers (which it has/is both).

Made in Holland, Nexus 8sp IGH. Drum brakes. The bar behind the wheelchair raises up and you brake and steer from there. The bottom tube pivots under the wheelchair and disconnects with a coupler so you can wheel people to and from the start point. Work just got a whole lot more fun.

Nothing to do with touring, just sharing the happiness of bicycling
Interesting. Last week near DC I saw a couple riding a combined upright-recumbent tandem with recumbent seat in front like the Duet except both riders pedaled. Perhaps designed for if one rider has back etc issues that prevent using regular tandem.
Old 07-23-17, 11:47 PM
Happy Feet

I've seen a picture of that set up.

There are videos on YouTube of duets being used in extended care to treat depression in the elderly. That's what we will be doing. Fortunately we also have a large park with bike pathes 1 block from our facility so the set up is almost perfect.
Old 07-24-17, 12:11 AM
geoffs

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha Co-pilot, Habanero custom commuter, Seven Axiom SL, Seven Axiom SLX, Blom Track

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Tall poppy syndrome?? A great touring bike is what fits your needs and budget. We all have different budgets and buy accordingly.
Your bike looks great and Co-motion build great bikes.
We have a Co-motion Mocha S&S which is about to be resprayed after 12 yrs of touring and lots of bumps and bruises. So take lots of pics of yours looking pristine because it wont stay that way :-)
I'm starting to look at a new tandem and 8k won't even buy the frame of what I'm looking at. Half bikes are so cheap :-)
Old 07-25-17, 12:12 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Oh no spending money on a quality product. It always seems to be a point of contention around here and among some other cyclists. I am not saying this product is a great deal or isn't expensive and sure ideally it would come with a dynamo set up but it is a relatively new DT system on a really top notch touring frame from a reputable company who makes their bikes by hand.

This bike might not be for everyone but I am sure it rides like a dream and is a great bike for someone who tours and travels that much. I love my Co-Mo and probably wouldn't go with another touring bike unless it were totally custom built for me to my specific geometry and even then I would probably still get it from Co-Motion. A friend and I are interested in getting a tandem and I am hoping to convince my friend to share in some cost and build up a Co-Motion.
Old 07-25-17, 01:17 PM
Happy Feet

Nothing wrong with buying a quality bike unless it is used to judge the quality of other peoples bikes. Then it becomes a negative. Even worse when a person doesn't even own the bike.

When I think of touring I think of the routes, terrain and length of a tour - not what type of bike someone buys. In that case Tall Poppy Syndrome would apply to knocking those qualities... which I rarely see here. Quite frankly, buying a bike doesn't require anything more than access to credit. It's no measure of the person riding it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.