Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Knee Braces

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-18, 05:08 PM
talphie

Bikes: Volkscycle, Trek Fx3, Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Knee Braces

Wondered if anybody is aware of any knee braces out there that work well, but yet somewhat breathable? The ones currently in use work great, but are neoprene and once the ride is over (and during) they are dripping wet from perspiration. Usually ride 15-25 miles, if that information is helpful.

Any ideas?
Old 08-13-18, 09:35 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
First let’s start with why you need one to ride.
Old 08-13-18, 09:58 PM
DanBraden
Often on Fritz

Bikes: Franken-Fritz, Horse-Feathers, Junker

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have you ever tried a foam roller?

When I had severe knee pain I tried every stretch and brace I could find. They gave only temporary relief. Then through research I determined that it was an IT band issue causing my knee pain (the symptoms are obvious, stepping down stairs hurts, and pain goes away when not moving). So I started "rolling" it out every day and it was like magic.

Foam rolling hurts like a sonovabich to be sure, but that's how you know you're IT band needs the work.

So, is this self diagnosed or has a physician told you something about your knee that requires a brace?
Old 08-13-18, 10:01 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I used Copperfit knee sleeves for awhile after a knee injury. They seemed pretty comfortable. They were not too hot on a warm day, and kept the knees warm on a cool day. I found them on the "As seen on TV" rack in the grocery store. It was a spur of the moment thing, not sure what the copper does, but the compression gives some support, and was pretty comfy and allows movement on the bike. They are a little thinner than lycra knee warmers. My knee problems actually feel better on the bike than walking, so I used them for walking too.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 08-13-18 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-14-18, 06:12 AM
talphie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The knee braces seem to eliminate the pain, especially on the knee that had surgery a few years ago. Without the braces, there tends to be some pain during the ride, and there is none with the knee braces. Just wondering about any “ breathable” braces for the summertime. There have been adjustments to the bike fit which has helped a bit as well. Just trying to see if there are any braces that have worked for anybody, but did’t give the feel of a wet suit.
Old 08-14-18, 06:17 AM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach
First let’s start with why you need one to ride.
Exactly. And have you had a professional bike fit? If not may I suggest you have one done.
Old 08-14-18, 06:35 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by talphie
The knee braces seem to eliminate the pain, especially on the knee that had surgery a few years ago. Without the braces, there tends to be some pain during the ride, and there is none with the knee braces. Just wondering about any “ breathable” braces for the summertime. There have been adjustments to the bike fit which has helped a bit as well. Just trying to see if there are any braces that have worked for anybody, but did’t give the feel of a wet suit.
Ever looked at KT tape?
Every Doctor, Physical Therapist, Chiropractor, Orthopedic surgeon I've asked has poo-pooed the idea of knee braces for me.
Old 08-14-18, 06:54 AM
talphie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Patriot1

Exactly. And have you had a professional bike fit? If not may I suggest you have one done.
Had a professional bike fitting this Spring and there were a few adjustments. I’m guessing there may be another knee procedure in the future, but in the mean time, just trying to reduce the perspiration since the current braces eliminate the pain.
Old 08-14-18, 08:49 AM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by talphie

Had a professional bike fitting this Spring and there were a few adjustments. I’m guessing there may be another knee procedure in the future, but in the mean time, just trying to reduce the perspiration since the current braces eliminate the pain.
I have had scopes on both knees, best thing I ever did. Most recent one was last Dec, right knee. Cycling has made a huge difference in my recovery. Best of luck to you.