Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bunch Riding Etiquettes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bunch Riding Etiquettes

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-18, 04:41 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Don't draft other cyclists whom you don't know, unless you first ask for their permission to do so.
Old 08-20-18, 07:45 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I first saw this thread before the morning coffee kicked in. I thought the title read "Brunch."

Now that's a good idea for a ride!

Somewhere for brunch and back again.
Old 08-20-18, 07:55 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
I think the OP got scared off this thread.

Bunch riding? I don't normally carry flowers.

Old 08-20-18, 08:46 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I first saw this thread before the morning coffee kicked in. I thought the title read "Brunch."
Sounds lovely! I would be on board for that.
Old 08-21-18, 12:23 PM
zze86

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Stupid browser kept crashing wiping out my smart alecky remarks.

Insert smart alecky remark.
Old 08-21-18, 05:03 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
I thought it had something to do with the Brady Bunch on bicycles.
Old 08-23-18, 11:56 AM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5 | Trek Farley 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thegeekycyclist
Hi guys,

I'm currently writing a piece about Bunch Riding Etiquettes. Rather than just listing and describing the etiquettes which we all know about, I'm planning to include real life experiences.

I'm looking for a brief 3-4 sentences describing your experience. Full credit will be given to you and your website/social profiles/etc.

Send me a PM and I'll get more details across.

Cheers.
I don't like being restricted on sentences and etc. so where goes on x-amount of sentences. First I stay to the side as often as I can unless I know for sure no one is behind me. When I pass someone from behind I try to get their attention by saying "Passing on the left" but so many people are busy with their phones or listening to music or both and get scared. I gripe when people are taking up the whole path like they own the place and that just pisses me off so that I have no issue scaring them. And try not to be obvious admiring the hotties on the path: usually they are jogging.
Old 08-27-18, 05:47 AM
talphie

Bikes: Volkscycle, Trek Fx3, Specialized Hard Rock

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by practical
Often the focus of bike "etiquette" is on the rider in front of another rider and includes such things as signalling with your hand and voice. While this is nice, I think the focus should be on the rider behind another bike. So the best etiquette advice I can could give is to make sure you leave space between you and the rider in front of you and to pay attention to them. If you do those two things, you won't need to rely on signals and warnings. The rider behind should announce passing (On your left) and almost never pass on the right. All riders should maintain a steady pace and straight line. Finally, follow the three rules of bike safety: Be visible, be predictable and be lawful. Good luck.
This is good information since most of my riding is on paved trails to eliminate the opportunity of being hit by a car. But, this weekend I was on an organized ride where there were thousands of bikers on the road. As the ride continues, the crowds tend to thin based on speed, distance, etc. Before the crowd thinned I was riding along with our group 2X2 in the normal riding lane with no car traffic on the road. From behind me I hear “on your left”, so I expect a rider to pass me on my left since that entire lane is available. I just kept a straight line in my lane, but not being passed seemed odd based on the earlier statement. After about 15-20 seconds, the person states “I said on your left, so move over”. I just muttered something back like, “I thought you were passing on my left, not waiting for me to try to move over”. Again, I’m not a regular road rider and when I do, it’s generally alone, but I thought that when a rider announces “on your left” it indicates he/she is actually on your left side and passing you, assuming they have the room and I’m not taking the entire road/trail.
Old 08-27-18, 06:11 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Originally Posted by talphie
“I thought you were passing on my left, not waiting for me to try to move over”. Again, I’m not a regular road rider and when I do, it’s generally alone, but I thought that when a rider announces “on your left” it indicates he/she is actually on your left side and passing you, assuming they have the room and I’m not taking the entire road/trail.
Correct. Was it a younger or older person? Local native?
Old 08-27-18, 07:30 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
... After about 15-20 seconds, the person states “I said on your left, so move over”. I just muttered something back like, ...
"So you were lying, you weren't really on my left!" - it's easy to think of comebacks after the fact. I'd have probably said "You are clear to pass now" There's all kinds of newbies in organized rides.

There may be some unwritten rules and conventions, and they may vary by locality, but I believe that common courtesy and a cooperative attitude will work pretty much everywhere.
Old 08-27-18, 07:35 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Don't draft other cyclists whom you don't know, unless you first ask for their permission to do so.
I dunno about that. Most times when I've said something, I'm either met with stone silence or a "WTF?" look, but not saying anything behind the experienced-looking ones they start signalling things
Old 08-27-18, 11:39 AM
Margerudman

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thegeekycyclist
Hi guys,

I'm currently writing a piece about Bunch Riding Etiquettes. Rather than just listing and describing the etiquettes which we all know about, I'm planning to include real life experiences.

I'm looking for a brief 3-4 sentences describing your experience. Full credit will be given to you and your website/social profiles/etc.

Send me a PM and I'll get more details across.

Cheers.
As an older and much slower recreational rider, I mourn the loss of the common considerate practice of calling out "on your left" when riders are passing slower riders. Not only is it courteous, it's much safer all around. Hardly any riders observe that any more. Sigh.
Old 08-27-18, 11:43 AM
Snowflake6
Sprockets away!

Bikes: 2021 Prior Prime 105 Disc, 2015 Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc, 1996 Brodie Quantum, 1984 Norco Monterey (SRAM automatix two-speed), 198x Cramerotti Campagnolo Chorus (restored)

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
From behind me I hear “on your left”, so I expect a rider to pass me on my left since that entire lane is available. I just kept a straight line in my lane, but not being passed seemed odd based on the earlier statement. After about 15-20 seconds, the person states “I said on your left, so move over”.
That person was an ass. For a rider approaching from the rear, it's up to them to go around without disturbing you, or to communciate clearly what they need you to do. "On your left" means he's on your left. It doesn't mean pull over. "Slower traffic keep right" would be a better thing to shout.
Old 08-27-18, 11:45 AM
Snowflake6
Sprockets away!

Bikes: 2021 Prior Prime 105 Disc, 2015 Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc, 1996 Brodie Quantum, 1984 Norco Monterey (SRAM automatix two-speed), 198x Cramerotti Campagnolo Chorus (restored)

Originally Posted by Margerudman
As an older and much slower recreational rider, I mourn the loss of the common considerate practice of calling out "on your left" when riders are passing slower riders. Not only is it courteous, it's much safer all around. Hardly any riders observe that any more. Sigh.
Sadly this is not as safe a call as you might think. I find about 50% of the time calling "on your left" to a dawdling rider or pedestrian, they only hear "...Left" and proceed to move in that direction... right into my path. I find it's safer to hold back until it's safe to pass with a safe margin.
Old 08-27-18, 11:51 AM
Margerudman

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowflake6
Sadly this is not as safe a call as you might think. I find about 50% of the time calling "on your left" to a dawdling rider or pedestrian, they only hear "...Left" and proceed to move in that direction... right into my path. I find it's safer to hold back until it's safe to pass with a safe margin.
YIKES! Hadn't thought of that.
Old 08-27-18, 12:02 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Signal your turn so when you mistakenly think the bunch is going right when it's actually going left, you don't plow into the attractive lady next to you and break her collar bone. (Wasn't me that did that, fortunately.)
Old 08-27-18, 12:40 PM
talphie

Bikes: Volkscycle, Trek Fx3, Specialized Hard Rock

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Correct. Was it a younger or older person? Local native?
I'm fairly old myself, but it appeared the rider may have been my senior. Whether the rider was local or not. I'm not sure since I'm not local to the event. The event is not a race, but it is timed, so I suppose that makes a difference to some. Rider definitely seemed to be "entitled" to the entire 2 lanes of the road and expected everyone to get out of the way.
Old 08-27-18, 12:53 PM
Trademarqt
The 1 -n- only

Bikes: Specialized Allez E5, Specialized Tarmac Pro SL

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Respect the question

wouldn’t it be nice if everyone just answered the question, instead of wanting to be a sitting comedian?
Old 08-27-18, 01:26 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montańa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Trademarqt
wouldn’t it be nice if everyone just answered the question, instead of wanting to be a sitting comedian?
The way you phrased the title can lead to jokes - cyclists don't usually call a group of them a "bunch".
But if you ride with the Wild Bunch, you better go well armed!
Edit: there's actually something called a bunch sprint, but etiquette is not rigid on them...

Last edited by Reynolds; 08-27-18 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-27-18, 01:38 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Trademarqt
Most comedians stand when they do their, you know, like, stand-up.

Old 08-27-18, 02:36 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
I'm fairly old myself, but it appeared the rider may have been my senior. Whether the rider was local or not. I'm not sure since I'm not local to the event. The event is not a race, but it is timed, so I suppose that makes a difference to some. Rider definitely seemed to be "entitled" to the entire 2 lanes of the road and expected everyone to get out of the way.
Why is it that the older people causing just as much of a public hazzard as to those being distracted while operating a moving vehicle? Bingo night outta put up a banner "The respect for the elders has always been expected; Practice what is preached must be followed" ..
Old 08-27-18, 02:58 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowflake6

I say quite loudly "passing on your left". I've never had anyone misunderstand that, although I find people sometimes thinking I need them to move right even though there's plenty of room. I certainly cut down on the number of people randomly veering left by announcing the pass.
Old 08-27-18, 03:19 PM
Snowflake6
Sprockets away!

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I say quite loudly "passing on your left". I've never had anyone misunderstand that, although I find people sometimes thinking I need them to move right even though there's plenty of room. I certainly cut down on the number of people randomly veering left by announcing the pass.
I guess YMMV. Around here, it's safer to stay quiet. Shouting something loudly enough to be heard well enough in advance to be useful will startle people just as easily as rushing past them. The benefit of just passing them and saying nothing, is that if they startle, you're past them before they can hit you. Give them a healthy space, and just pass.
Old 08-27-18, 03:26 PM
Trademarqt
The 1 -n- only

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
Most comedians stand when they do their, you know, like, stand-up.
right....and most people are sitting when they type. Henceforth “sitting comedian”.........
Old 08-27-18, 03:29 PM
Trademarqt
The 1 -n- only

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
The way you phrased the title can lead to jokes - cyclists don't usually call a group of them a "bunch".
But if you ride with the Wild Bunch, you better go well armed!
Edit: there's actually something called a bunch sprint, but etiquette is not rigid on them...
everything can lead to jokes. I didn’t create the thread nor the title. I too found it weird the starter said “bunch” instead of “group”. It would be great if people could give an answer to the actual question before going ham on jokes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.