Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

My last bike purchase

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

My last bike purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-19, 11:17 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
My last bike purchase

My last bike purchase, now that turned out to be a joke. By the mid 80s I had a nice Schwinn Le Tour. But then--------I bought a Univega touring bike because it had a triple and thot when I got older the granny gear would get me up steep hills. But then----------I bought a mountain bike so I could ride off road with my sons. But then-----------looking at recumbents that looked logical, I bought a Rans Tailwind. But then ------since the Tail Wind was short in the rear and a trunk pack didnt work well, I bought a Rans Stratus. But then--------to get my wife to ride with me I bought a TerraTrike Cruiser. How ever since my wife had knee problems and surgery, I have taken over the trike for in town riding.

Probably never say the bike you have is your "last" bike.
Old 10-24-19, 11:46 AM
Arios1223

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
haha i just started
Old 10-24-19, 12:07 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
I still ride my "last bike". It's an '84 Pug purchased new. I'm 64 yo. It's lasted this long. It's like the Energizer Bunny--it keeps going, and going, and going............
I have no doubts it will long out last me. It ain't broke so need to fix or replace.
Jon
Old 10-24-19, 12:09 PM
Arios1223

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
can you please take a look at my last post and provide some advice?
Old 10-24-19, 12:40 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
In the last 20 years, we have had, all name brand quality bikes, no dept store stuff:

3 mountain bikes.
2 hybrids
2 tandems
8 road bikes

Still have 7 of those all perfectly functioning and running well and often. Not into keeping junkers around.

I'm not sure, maybe I'll have to get one more road bike before I croak!
Old 10-24-19, 12:46 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by Arios1223
Buy low, sell high.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 10-24-19, 01:34 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Arios1223
My advice? Depending on your age, focus your resources on saving (first), and then investing (second). Learn to do the math to determine what kind of income you'll need in your retirement years, and how you'll get there with your own assets, not the Government's payback.

Then, once you have a solid plan that you're following, you can begin consuming with what's left over. Set a price point, save and buy with cash. Buy as good a bike at the price point as you can, and make absolutely certain that it fits you correctly. Then ride a lot.
Old 10-24-19, 01:36 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
My last bike purchase, now that turned out to be a joke. By the mid 80s I had a nice Schwinn Le Tour. But then--------I bought a Univega touring bike because it had a triple and thot when I got older the granny gear would get me up steep hills. But then----------I bought a mountain bike so I could ride off road with my sons. But then-----------looking at recumbents that looked logical, I bought a Rans Tailwind. But then ------since the Tail Wind was short in the rear and a trunk pack didnt work well, I bought a Rans Stratus. But then--------to get my wife to ride with me I bought a TerraTrike Cruiser. How ever since my wife had knee problems and surgery, I have taken over the trike for in town riding.

Probably never say the bike you have is your "last" bike.
Oh I'll never say "my last bike" ever. I have some bikes that are keepers forever, but everything else is in flux. I'll be playing with bikes until my dying day.
Old 10-24-19, 01:51 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,581 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Buy low, sell high.
"Fear? That's the other guy's problem."--Louis Winthorpe, III
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-24-19, 03:17 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
"I will buy no more bikes forever!"
Old 10-24-19, 09:17 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
I've got at least 1/2 a dozen last bikes out in the garage right now. They are all for sale. Whenever I get rid of one another one magically shows up.
Old 10-24-19, 11:50 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
When you say that I have to ask if you are terminally ill. When you die you won't be buying anymore bikes or parts.
Old 10-25-19, 04:20 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by Rollfast
When you die you won't be buying anymore bikes or parts.
...unless you set up a trust.
Old 10-25-19, 04:27 AM
BookFinder 
Lifelong wheel gazer ...

Bikes: All garage sale finds...

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Haven't said that about bicycles, but I did say on at least one occasion "this will be the last motorcycle I ever buy."

That was 5 motorcycles ago. I've not yet heard the end of it from my wife and daughters.

Now that I can see the end of motorcycling on the horizon, I find myself watching craigslist for bicycles...

Holy cow - I started watching CL at least a half-dozen bikes ago!

At least I've not protested to my wife and made an issue of it!

Status quo is the mental bastion of the intellectually lethargic...
Old 10-25-19, 05:07 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I just bought my last bike.... for this year.
Old 10-25-19, 08:23 AM
Wegrzyn

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NoControl
...unless you set up a trust.
Agreed. I tell my wife there are a lot worse addictions. It works sometimes.
Likes For Wegrzyn:
Old 10-25-19, 08:41 AM
BookFinder 
Lifelong wheel gazer ...

Bikes: All garage sale finds...

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Wegrzyn
Agreed. I tell my wife there are a lot worse addictions. It works sometimes.
Absolutely. For example, if you calculate the price of a fully outfitted fishing boat (live wells, 2-way radio, sonar, etc), licenses, gear and tackle, bait and other stuff, and then divide that by the number of fish it takes to feed your family a meal, it is discouraging!

By comparison, and unless one buys a new $5,000 plus bicycle and all of the supporting gear every year, bicycling is relatively cheap.

I feel better already!

Status quo is the mental bastion of the intellectually lethargic...
Likes For BookFinder:
Old 10-25-19, 09:04 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
I’ve got 4 bikes now and 3 get ridden with some frequency. The mountain bike gets ridden the least of the 4. The tri bike about 6 months of the year. The gravel and road bikes get ridden throughout the year. My likely future path is to get rid of the road and gravel bike and switch to one all around bike for gravel and road. I could do that with my existing gravel bike but it’s quite heavy and I’d rather have an all arounder that is titanium or carbon fiber.
Old 10-25-19, 10:41 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by BookFinder
Absolutely. For example, if you calculate the price of a fully outfitted fishing boat (live wells, 2-way radio, sonar, etc), licenses, gear and tackle, bait and other stuff, and then divide that by the number of fish it takes to feed your family a meal, it is discouraging!

By comparison, and unless one buys a new $5,000 plus bicycle and all of the supporting gear every year, bicycling is relatively cheap.

I feel better already!
Absolutely brilliant comparison, @BookFinder!

When I was in college, I did an accounting paper on the purchase of a brand new Ranger bass boat. Factoring in all of the payments, interest, and expenses for the life of the loan, first annually and then PER USE, it was a phenomenally high amount of cash every time you took it out. You almost had to use it every weekend, because if you took a weekend off to do something different, that figure grew.

We could all buy $5000 bikes, and unless we're spending weekends hopping B&B's with them, the per use expense is very low.
Old 10-25-19, 11:28 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,581 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl
When I was in college, I did an accounting paper on the purchase of a brand new Ranger bass boat. Factoring in all of the payments, interest, and expenses for the life of the loan, first annually and then PER USE, it was a phenomenally high amount of cash every time you took it out.
Heh. Back in the mid-90s someone gave me a ticket to the indoor boat show in Philly. I remember looking at financing options, doing some rough math in my head and being amazed at how much you would be paying on a $20,000 boat over the life of the loan.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-25-19, 11:34 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,971 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Heh. Back in the mid-90s someone gave me a ticket to the indoor boat show in Philly. I remember looking at financing options, doing some rough math in my head and being amazed at how much you would be paying on a $20,000 boat over the life of the loan.
After decades of owning boats, my wife's uncle got rid of 'em and joined a boat share in Florida: he pays a monthly fee, plus a charge each time a boat is used. And has none of the hassle of maintenance, gassing them up, storing them, etc. I once asked him: how many times do you have to go boating each month for this to be financially smarter than owning your own boat? His answer: .5
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-25-19, 04:52 PM
Wegrzyn

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Granted you can spend as much or as little as you want on any hobby. However you can get close to pro level cycling equipment at sometimes reasonable prices.
Old 10-26-19, 10:53 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Wegrzyn
Granted you can spend as much or as little as you want on any hobby. However you can get close to pro level cycling equipment at sometimes reasonable prices.
Excellent point I have been trying to make for years. Unless you are filthy rich, go for the mid price bike, or anything else for that matter. Cheap is cheap but as you start going up you reach a mid point to where you are only buying a name and snobbery.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 10-26-19, 06:18 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
My "last bike" refers to my most recent purchase. It in no way implies an end of the sequence.