Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Garage sale find - how to establish the facts

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-23, 08:32 PM
BookFinder 
Lifelong wheel gazer ...

Bikes: All garage sale finds...

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts

So I stumbled on an old Specialized Hardrock that was headed to the trash pile if it didn't sell in the carport sale. Two flat tires. Rusted at a few places. The chain was off. Seat torn, You get the idea.

I took it home and cleaned it up. Lubed the chain and other components, and aired the tires. They held air long enough for a test ride around the block, but the tubes and tires are overdue for replacement. I haven't had time to look closely at what else might be truly worn out, but I figure a tune up and some regular riding will cause those issues to show up fairly quickly.

All that aside, I'm curious to know the year and related specs about the bike.

Where can I browse to find that type of information? Help with that will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Status quo is the mental bastion of the intellectually lethargic...

Last edited by BookFinder; 06-19-23 at 06:05 AM. Reason: dang ... I keep spotting speelin' & gremmer errors
Old 06-19-23, 08:23 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
Shimano date codes on the cranks

If the bike has Shimano cranks, you can get a date within a few months of the production. There is a two letter date code inside a small circle embossed on the inside of the cranks. Then go to the website where they list the Shimano date codes Shimano date codes Most major bike manufacturers don't stock parts far in advance so this should be a good guide as to date of manufacture.
Old 06-20-23, 12:29 AM
williamskg6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 17 Posts
You can look through online catalogs to narrow down the year as well. Most 1980's and 1990's Specialized catalogs are online. It takes some time, but you should be able to narrow it down to either an exact year or within a year or two just from catalogs. The components can provide hints too. Indexed shifting? Probably made after 1985. Threadless headset? Probably a mid 1990's bike. Lugged steel frame? Probably 1980's. Welded steel frame? Probably early 1990's. That gets you in the rough ballpark from which you can refine by looking at catalogs.

Also, Google. One Google search yielded this page: https://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2...ve/Catalogues/

I had to resist the urge to throw a LMGTFY link at you, but that would have just been snarky.
Likes For williamskg6:
Old 06-20-23, 05:40 AM
BookFinder 
Lifelong wheel gazer ...

Bikes: All garage sale finds...

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Thanks to you both. It has Shimano components so I'll start there. Then I'll go to the catalogues and see if I can spot the exact bike. Also, photos a bit later.

Thanks again,

Rick

Status quo is the mental bastion of the intellectually lethargic...
Old 06-20-23, 08:03 PM
Sactown_Albert 

Bikes: 2017 Sage Skyline, 2015 Co-Motion Periscope Tandem, 2012 Soma Smoothie, 2006 Kona Jake, 1986 Miyata Nine Twelve, 1977 Peugeot UO18c, 1977 Peugeot PRN10, 1974 Allegro Schweitzermeister Model 76, 1972 Hugo Rickert Spezial

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 601 Times in 191 Posts
Under the Classic and Vintage heading

Right here in Bike Forums are a large cache of catalogs. Look under Classic and Vintage. In the sticky entries are the manufacturer catalogs. Specialized is under USA. Figure out some date codes so you know what years to look in.