Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

please help me! - $125 to spend on basic bike tools @ bike barn or sun ski

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-14, 03:36 PM
yongxingfreesty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have $125 to spend at bike barn or REI or sun and ski sports? do yall prefer to spend the $$ at any particular store?
below are the tools i have. is there anything else you can think of that I would need to buy?

-shimano cassette remover
-campagnolo cassette remover
-freewheel remover (Park Tool BBT-5/FR-11)
-bottom bracket remover (Park Tool BBT-5/FR-11)
-3/32 " Chain Whip Sprocket Cog Remover
-Lockring 15mm Pedal remover wrench
-Steel Chain Breaker Repair Tool
-tripod bike stand
-18 tools in one mini
-tire removal levers (3)
-tire pump presta valve and the other kind lol

THANKS!
Old 06-17-14, 05:34 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Park cone wrenches if you do your own hubs. A good Allen wrench set from 1mm to 10mm.
Old 06-18-14, 10:17 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
FWIW: Many hubs no longer use cone wrenches, or might use proprietary types. Get what you need. Mini combo-tools may be OK for incidental issues on a ride, but are clumsy and impractical to use in the shop.
Old 06-18-14, 12:06 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
A good set of metric Allen wrenches, preferably with ball-end on the long end, bike cable cutters, a chain whip (or two), the cassette or freewheel tool that fits your bike, a mini-tool to carry along, and a good manual (I like Leonard Zinn's) would be a good start. If you have no tools at all, a Park kit might be valuable, but there are often some you'll never use. A decent bike work stand would exceed your budget, so look at the small bike holders that raise the rear wheel for minor service. Then learn how to use everything.

Youll get get more answers to this question if you ask on the Bicycle Mechanics forum.
Old 06-18-14, 04:18 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dfrost
A good set of metric Allen wrenches, preferably with ball-end on the long end, bike cable cutters, a chain whip (or two), the cassette or freewheel tool that fits your bike, a mini-tool to carry along, and a good manual (I like Leonard Zinn's) would be a good start. If you have no tools at all, a Park kit might be valuable, but there are often some you'll never use. A decent bike work stand would exceed your budget, so look at the small bike holders that raise the rear wheel for minor service. Then learn how to use everything.

Youll get get more answers to this question if you ask on the Bicycle Mechanics forum.
Agreed, which is why the thread was moved from the Electronics and Gadgets forum.
Old 06-19-14, 08:30 AM
yongxingfreesty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
Agreed, which is why the thread was moved from the Electronics and Gadgets forum.
thanks guys! I think i will have everything I need =)

im gonna look into these

"A good set of metric Allen wrenches, preferably with ball-end on the long end, bike cable cutters, a chain whip (or two) "

anything else to add?
Old 06-20-14, 05:44 AM
Zef

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The campanolo cassette remover made by Park is the same you have listed as the bottom bracket tool BBT-5/FR-11. No need for two different tools. This tool only works with certain models of campy cartridge bottom brackets.

The Park BBT-5/FR-11, however, is not a freewheel remover.

Unless you plan on being the neighborhood bike fix it guy, then concentrate on the tools you will need to fix your own stable of bikes.

-j
Old 06-20-14, 06:54 AM
FLJeepGuy

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Crosstrail Disc, 1995 Specialized HardRock Ultra, 1991 Trek 1200, late 80's Tunturi 500R, plus various others moving through my garage...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yongxingfreesty
"A good set of metric Allen wrenches, preferably with ball-end on the long end, bike cable cutters, a chain whip (or two) "
I've got the Park PH-1 P-Handle Hex Wrench Set and can highly recommend it. These are probably my most used tools along with their CN-10 cable and housing cutter. I don't regret spending the extra on the Park tools rather than a cheaper brand as they're holding up very well.
Old 06-22-14, 06:57 PM
yongxingfreesty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my dad fixes alot of bikes he buys at a local pawn shop so every potential helpful tool would be great!
Old 06-22-14, 07:33 PM
Plimogz
Global Warming Witness

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cone wrenches are great if you're into overhauling your own hubs. You can get by with only a single one in whatever size the flats on the cones are. Which often means needing 2 different sizes on one bike. However the ideal setup if money is no object is having 2 of each size.
Old 06-22-14, 08:14 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 216 Posts
combination metric
wrench set and a big pair of
channel lock pliers
Old 06-22-14, 08:59 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
$20 REI membership for life. 10% rebate on all regularly priced merchandise at year end.
Old 06-23-14, 11:50 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 2,541 Posts
Above mentioned cable cutters, that would be good. High quality allen wrenches, preferably including ball-ends for quick work, that would be good, Park AWS-1 3-way (4/5/6mm) is kind of a go-to (hint: put some bright tape around the base of the 5mm, it is used most of all and will make it just that little bit easier to find every time). Perhaps a few individual P-handle wrenches as well (PH-5 again most common, maybe also -6 and -4, any more than that you might as well buy a set).

Probably a nice set of spoke wrenches (Park SW-0 -- SW-3 are "three-sided", and cheaper, SW-40 -- SW-42 are "four-sided" thus hold the nipple more securely)

You could consider a third-hand (or even "fourth-hand") tool which makes it easy to hold/adjust cables and tension while you clamp them down.

Depending whether you like your tire levers or not, consider picking up a pair of Pedro's levers, which are hands down The Best, and not expensive at all.

If you have any wheel/tire combinations which are difficult to mount by hand, consider a Kool-Stop Bead Jack.

(don't know how much of this is available through REI/bike barn/etc)
Old 06-23-14, 01:58 PM
jin_yeugh

Bikes: '00 Raleigh USA R-600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All the above tools are great to have. For convenience's sake, I would recommend getting a telescopic magnet tool and a couple trays, magnetic if you choose, for bearings and other small bits you need to keep track of.

magnet tool
https://www.amazon.com/SE-8034TM-B-26...ool+telescopic

magnet tray
Amazon.com: Capri Tools Stainless Steel Rectangle Magnetic Parts Tray Tool (Green Packaging): Home Improvement
Old 06-23-14, 02:36 PM
rsacilotto

Bikes: 1983 Trek 760, 2000 Fuji Team, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Wheel truing stand
small vice-grip pliers - useful for getting good tension on derailleur cables.
Old 06-25-14, 08:40 AM
yongxingfreesty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thank you everyone for taking the time to add stuff to my list =) i appreciate it very much! i actually have $250 to spend now. someone at work gave me their $125 gift card =)))
Old 06-25-14, 09:46 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Carbon assembly paste is great, even on aluminum seatposts. It's a gel with plastic grit in it. I need much less torque on the collar to keep the seatpost from slipping. I use it on stems and saddle rails, too. A tube will last for 10 years at least.

~~~~~~
A silver sharpie pen for marking black objects. The mark can later be removed with rubbing alcohol.

A small diagonal wire cutter for clipping cable ties. But don't use that for cutting brake or shifter cables, it just mangles the cut end.
~~~~~~

Park tool TW-1 torque wrench, and a set of metric hex bits. I have an adapter on the wrench to use hex bits that fit power drills. Or get a set of 1/4 inch to hex bits.

This is for stems, seatpost collars, etc, that are 7 nm or less.

Last edited by rm -rf; 06-25-14 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-25-14, 11:24 AM
yongxingfreesty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
Carbon assembly paste is great, even on aluminum seatposts. It's a gel with plastic grit in it. I need much less torque on the collar to keep the seatpost from slipping. I use it on stems and saddle rails, too. A tube will last for 10 years at least.

~~~~~~
A silver sharpie pen for marking black objects. The mark can later be removed with rubbing alcohol.

A small diagonal wire cutter for clipping cable ties. But don't use that for cutting brake or shifter cables, it just mangles the cut end.
~~~~~~

Park tool TW-1 torque wrench, and a set of metric hex bits. I have an adapter on the wrench to use hex bits that fit power drills. Or get a set of 1/4 inch to hex bits.

This is for stems, seatpost collars, etc, that are 7 nm or less.

whoa that is kind of expensive. i usually just go by feel and havent messed anything up yet =)

this is my list so far:

combination metric (wrenches?) $50
magnetic bown/tray $10
park ph-4 5 & 6 $30
spoke wrench tw-40 and tw-42 (do i need both) $20
park wheel truing stand $100
park crank puller $10

this will put me at roughly $220 + tax which will total close to $250.00

thanks!
Old 06-25-14, 11:53 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by yongxingfreesty
combination metric (wrenches?) $50
magnetic bown/tray $10
park ph-4 5 & 6 $30
spoke wrench tw-40 and tw-42 (do i need both) $20
park wheel truing stand $100
park crank puller $10
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "combination metric (wrenches?)" (apparently you dont' either since you put ?). If you mean allen wrenches, that need might be filled by park ph-4/5/6. And I'm seeing the entire set (PH-1 = 8 wrenches) should run maybe $50-60, so perhaps you can combine those two entries.

Spoke wrench; do you need both? Well, for any specific wheel (probably for any specific bike) you would only need one. Unfortunately, I've never been completely clear on whether there is one spoke size which is common enough so that you can probably get by with just the one wrench. Maybe others can chime in. (Also, I don't understand why there is no SW-41? Why do the three-cornered wrenches have a middle size (green) but the high-end wrenches are just SW-40/42 and SW-20/22 (black and red)?)

Truing stand is taking up a lot of your budget. Since you've got gift money to spend, maybe that's OK, but there are many who don't feel a pro truing stand is necessary. Take a look at this thread, and maybe you'll be inspired to make a rig just as good using low-end magnet-mount dial gauge(s).

Also consider using some of your budget for parts rather than tools. Do you need new tires? Do you need to stock up on spare tubes? New chain? Rack? Panniers? Lights?
Old 06-25-14, 12:58 PM
yongxingfreesty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "combination metric (wrenches?)" (apparently you dont' either since you put ?). If you mean allen wrenches, that need might be filled by park ph-4/5/6. And I'm seeing the entire set (PH-1 = 8 wrenches) should run maybe $50-60, so perhaps you can combine those two entries.

Spoke wrench; do you need both? Well, for any specific wheel (probably for any specific bike) you would only need one. Unfortunately, I've never been completely clear on whether there is one spoke size which is common enough so that you can probably get by with just the one wrench. Maybe others can chime in. (Also, I don't understand why there is no SW-41? Why do the three-cornered wrenches have a middle size (green) but the high-end wrenches are just SW-40/42 and SW-20/22 (black and red)?)

Truing stand is taking up a lot of your budget. Since you've got gift money to spend, maybe that's OK, but there are many who don't feel a pro truing stand is necessary. Take a look at this thread, and maybe you'll be inspired to make a rig just as good using low-end magnet-mount dial gauge(s).

Also consider using some of your budget for parts rather than tools. Do you need new tires? Do you need to stock up on spare tubes? New chain? Rack? Panniers? Lights?

hmm, i am confused. you got that right lol.

see post # 11.

he said combination wrenches. maybe he is referring to the ph-1 (?)
if so, i should just get that whole set instead of worrying about the ph4-6.

i dont ride my bike much, 2-3 times a year and that is preparing for the ms150 so i dont really need new tubes, tires, lights, etc. everything is still in good shape.

once again, thanks for helping me with this project! =)
Old 06-25-14, 01:00 PM
yongxingfreesty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PS - isaw ur DIY truing stand. that is bad ass!! lol
but i am not really a handy person to build something liek that...
Old 06-25-14, 01:11 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "combination metric (wrenches?)" . . .
The combination wrench is one of the most common hand tools there is.
Old 06-25-14, 01:21 PM
jefft72

Bikes: Giant TCR, 03 Haro V3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AnkleWork
The combination wrench is one of the most common hand tools there is.
Old 06-25-14, 01:46 PM
yongxingfreesty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jefft72
oh that. i have that
Old 06-25-14, 01:51 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

OK yes, that is what I know as a combination wrench. I would never pay $50 for a set, and I would never buy general-purpose tools like that from a bike store with specialty bike-store markup. Go to Lowes or Home Depot or Sears if you want regular tools.

PS that truing stand is not mine, it is from venerable BF member Sixty Fiver, who uses that stand even though he is a professional bike guy and builds lots of wheels.

Dude, if you only ride your bike a few times a year (a) you probably don't need a truing stand (or hardly any tools at all, because your bike will never wear out) (b) you're gonna have a hard time on a 150mi ride! But once again, free money is free money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.