Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

NYC's finest are at it again...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-18, 06:50 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

A doctor that I work with at the hospital was pulled over by an unmarked car this morning. He was lucky to receive a warning and not a ticket. I'm guessing that it was around 145th and St Nicholas since he told me a few blocks down by the park. So take it easy and don't blow through those red lights.
Old 04-10-18, 10:37 AM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
If we want motorists to respect us, we have to obey traffic signals just like they do.
Old 04-10-18, 10:40 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by General Geoff
If we want motorists not run over us in their cars, we have to obey traffic signals just like they do.
I made a little adjustment to your post that makes your statement a little more relevant to me.

While I care if motorists respect me, I care more than they don't kill me.

It seems like common sense. If you run a red light on a bike, you're taking a HUGE risk of getting run over by a truck who has no reason whatsoever to expect cross traffic when his light is green. But nope. Cyclists do it all the time.
Old 04-10-18, 10:58 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
I've had zero issue with crashes when I've run stoplights with no traffic for blocks around. One of my worst crashes (multiple broken ribs, collarbone) happened when I was riding through my green light and was hit by a car running the red. I am willing to tell a judge that my experience has been that entering an intersection illegally with no traffic near has been consistently safer than stopping and waiting for it to show up. (I've had issues with right turning cars, oncoming left turning cars and close passes, non of which have ever happened when I've run empty intersections with no traffic around.

Ben
Old 04-10-18, 11:06 AM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
I made a little adjustment to your post that makes your statement a little more relevant to me.

While I care if motorists respect me, I care more than they don't kill me.
Being seen is step one, being respected is step two. You need both to avoid being killed in traffic.
Old 04-10-18, 11:08 AM
Skipjacks

Being seen is step one, being respected is step two. You need both to avoid being killed in traffic.
Not being in the intersection when cross traffic has the right of way goes A LONG WAY towards reducing being run over by trucks.
Old 04-10-18, 11:09 AM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I've had zero issue with crashes when I've run stoplights with no traffic for blocks around. One of my worst crashes (multiple broken ribs, collarbone) happened when I was riding through my green light and was hit by a car running the red. I am willing to tell a judge that my experience has been that entering an intersection illegally with no traffic near has been consistently safer than stopping and waiting for it to show up. (I've had issues with right turning cars, oncoming left turning cars and close passes, non of which have ever happened when I've run empty intersections with no traffic around.

Ben
I don't think they have streets with no traffic for blocks in New York City.

It's really crowded.

Stay in Oregon. It's much more peaceful.
Old 04-10-18, 11:27 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I'm a pretty incorrigible scofflaw rider in NYC traffic, but I don't generally do anything truly dangerous. I don't ride the wrong way down one way streets, I don't ride through crossing traffic. I do, however, run lights quite a bit.

I got a ticket last year. I blew through a red light right in front of a police officer. I didn't get in the way of any cars, I didn't startle any pedestrians, really nothing dangerous; but not legal. $50 or something. I think the citation was "improper use of a bicycle" rather than running a red light. Could have been worse; running a red light is a more expensive ticket.

Okay, that said, I totally support the police cracking down on scofflaw cyclists, even me, as long as they do it uniformly and fairly. Cracking down for a week or two, now and then, does nothing. But if they could actually change the culture, that would be great.
Old 04-10-18, 12:07 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
Blowing thru red lights on the way to a hospital... umm... ah...
Old 04-10-18, 12:16 PM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
Not being in the intersection when cross traffic has the right of way goes A LONG WAY towards reducing being run over by trucks.
Yeah, and not being a general back part of a horse towards others. I also stop (or at least slow down when light is green) for peds in the street. Especally in larger intersections like 135th st and St Nicholas. There almost always is a decent amount of ped traffic at those intersections.
Old 04-10-18, 01:30 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,939 Times in 980 Posts
Saw a cyclist exchanging paperwork with the occupants of a police car around mid day today on Central Park West at 103rd. Soring blitz, perhaps.

Old 04-10-18, 02:46 PM
InOmaha

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Are you required to carry ID with you when you ride? Would a road ID suffice or can you just give them someone else's name and address?
Old 04-11-18, 06:41 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney

Ben
So when you prepare to run a red light or a stop sign and you see another cycling crossing your path, what are you expecting from this cyclist, to yield to you?

Would it have been proper for you to yield to the motorist running the red in order to avoid the collision?

And how would argue your case in front of a judge when the other cyclist didn't yield to you as you ran a red light or a stop sign?

Last edited by Daniel4; 04-11-18 at 07:24 AM.
Old 04-11-18, 12:36 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
I'm a pretty incorrigible scofflaw rider in NYC traffic, but I don't generally do anything truly dangerous. I don't ride the wrong way down one way streets, I don't ride through crossing traffic. I do, however, run lights quite a bit.

Okay, that said, I totally support the police cracking down on scofflaw cyclists, even me, as long as they do it uniformly and fairly. Cracking down for a week or two, now and then, does nothing. But if they could actually change the culture, that would be great.
More or less the same here. I don't run reds at any busy intersections (be they busy with vehicular or pedestrian traffic), but will occasionally slip through on others (1st ave, for example, has a few lights with traffic only coming in from the west, and often there are only a few cars, or none at all.) Ditto some of the non-through traffic lights on central park west, where there is virtually zero risk of collision.

That said, I know a guy that got a ticket for exactly that (going through a light at an intersection with no cross traffic, late at night with no pedestrians around), and it's ridiculous.

I can't stand the morons on bikes riding like lunatics and narrowly slipping through gaps in people and cars when they have a red light, and I don't mind the cops enforcing the law, but literally every other block I see an Uber driver doing something illegal, and often with cops in plain sight. They need to crack down on that stuff first, before they go after the average bike rider.
Old 04-11-18, 12:53 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by InOmaha
Are you required to carry ID with you when you ride? Would a road ID suffice or can you just give them someone else's name and address?
So, you get stopped and give the cop my name and address and DOB. Cop goes back to his car and looks at my driver's license photo on his computer. The ticket doesn't come to me and you leave the scene in cuffs. Seems like dangerous fun to me.
Old 04-11-18, 01:44 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
If we want motorists to respect us, we have to obey traffic signals just like they do.
If motorists want cyclists to respect them, they need a mode of transportation that doesn't put the lives of others at risk.

That's the big difference IMO, and why the "cyclist need to follow the rules too" arguments aren't really valid. Cars are lethal. Bikes aren't.
Old 04-11-18, 02:59 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Agree 100%.