Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Motobecane Fantom Cross

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Motobecane Fantom Cross

Old 03-17-13, 04:50 AM
Elad63

Bikes: Too many to count. Changes on a frequent basis.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Motobecane Fantom Cross

I received a second hand cross bike, Motobecane Fantom Cross. It came with a compact double 46/36. I want to put a triple on it, but was wondering if the the Shimano Tiagra 9-speed brifters will be compatible with a triple. I know I will have to change the bb spindle and chainrings. Not sure about the Shimano Tiagra FD triple compatibility either. Anyone ever done this upgrade or have any suggestions, they will greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
130302_078.jpg (101.1 KB, 22 views)
Old 03-17-13, 05:02 AM
Airburst

Location: England, currently dividing my time between university in Guildford and home just outside Reading

Bikes: Too many to list here!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Shimano brifters come in double and triple versions, so you'll need new ones. The double FD would probably shift a triple, but you might get better shifting performance with one designed for the purpose.

You won't just have to "change the chainrings and BB spindle", you need a complete new crankset. Firstly, triple cranksets have a set of threaded holes in the cranks for the bolts that secure the third chainring, which doubles don't generally come with, and secondly that's a two-piece crankset, the spindle is integrated to the right crank, and thus couldn't be replaced even if it was the only thing you needed to change. OK, you could use the same left-hand crank as before, but I don't think Shimano sells just the right-hand crank/spindle assembly on its own.
Old 03-17-13, 06:33 AM
Elad63

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know i will have to change spindle and get a new crankset, I was more or less wondering if the shifters will work going to a triple, along with the fd. I already changed the rd to a long cage.
Old 03-17-13, 06:37 AM
Airburst

Location: England, currently dividing my time between university in Guildford and home just outside Reading

Bikes: Too many to list here!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Elad63
I know i will have to change spindle and get a new crankset, I was more or less wondering if the shifters will work going to a triple, along with the fd. I already changed the rd to a long cage.
Well, as I said, the shifters won't, the FD probably will but not as well as one designed for a triple.
Old 03-17-13, 08:42 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
The ST-4400 9-speed Tiagra brifters were both double and triple chainring compatible. Later ST-4500 9-speed brifters were double OR triple specific so it depends on which model you have.
Old 03-17-13, 09:13 AM
bobotech

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite/Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Ti/'85 Trek 520

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have a set of 9 speed Tiagra brifters and they are triple compatible.

I actually did exactly what you are planning on doing to your bike. My buddy and I traded frames, I got his Motobecane Fantom Team Ti frame and he got my Trek 520. He kept the 10 speed drive train.

So I built it up using 9 speed parts. I didn't use my 9 speed Tiagra brifters since i had a nicer pair of 9 speed Ultegras. I bought a used 105 triple crankset that is Octalink v1 with a triple compatible 118.5mm BB. I also used my long cage 105 rear derailleur and 105 triple front deralleur. I do not like using double front derailleurs, they sort of work but not really that well or smoothly. Built it all up and it rides and shifts great now. Chainline looks good.

I am pretty sure that the majority of 9 speed shimano brifters are triple compatible. Just check, swing the lever off all the way past the shift and trim clicks once and then try swinging it all the way again, it should do a second click that pulls the cable a little bit more. If it only does one swing with the clicks and trim clicks but wont' shift again, then that is a double only shifter.
Old 03-17-13, 10:26 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by bobotech
So I built it up using 9 speed parts. I didn't use my 9 speed Tiagra brifters since i had a nicer pair of 9 speed Ultegras. I bought a used 105 triple crankset that is Octalink v1 with a triple compatible 118.5mm BB. I also used my long cage 105 rear derailleur and 105 triple front deralleur. I do not like using double front derailleurs, they sort of work but not really that well or smoothly. Built it all up and it rides and shifts great now. Chainline looks good.
That sounds very much like my '96 Litespeed Catalyst. I have 105 9-speed STI's, an Ultegra 6503 Octalink triple crank and bb and 105 long cage and triple front 9-speed derailleurs. It does indeed shift great.
Originally Posted by bobotech
I am pretty sure that the majority of 9 speed shimano brifters are triple compatible. Just check, swing the lever off all the way past the shift and trim clicks once and then try swinging it all the way again, it should do a second click that pulls the cable a little bit more. If it only does one swing with the clicks and trim clicks but wont' shift again, then that is a double only shifter.
AFAIK, all 9-speed 105 STIs were both double and triple compatible but I'm not sure about Ultegra and particularly Dura Ace. As I mentioned above some 9-speed Tiagra brifters were double/triple compatible and some were not.
Old 03-18-13, 10:51 AM
Elad63

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thx, i will check later tonite when i get home.