Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

A Question on Pro Racers in the TDF

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

A Question on Pro Racers in the TDF

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-17, 09:54 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
Not insinuating cheating is/was right. Armstrong simply played the game they all played. Apparently, all things were equal and he came out on top. So logically, if no one had been doping, he still would have came out on top.
It is not at all that simple. First, Armstrong had the advantage of the best doping program ever assembled. PED's cost money. A sophisticated PEDS program that maximizes the advantage and minimizes the chance of detection costs lots of money. Very few other riders had access to PEDS on anything approaching that level of sophistication.
One problem Tyler Hamilton and Floyd Landis had leaving Postal is that they lost access to Postal's doping program, which eventually lead to their positive tests.

Second, PEDS, specifically EPO, negate the advantage of genetically gifted athletes. You can only compete with a hematocrit at 50 or below. A rider with a naturally high hematocrit (i.e. Hincapie) benefits less from EPO than a rider with a naturally low hematocrit.

Third, PEDS reduce the competition to only those riders that are willing and able to take the health, legal, and moral risks of using drugs illegally. A whole cadre of riders who chose not to cheat never got the opportunity to see if they could be competitive.

So it's not at all likely the outcomes would have been the same if no one doped.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 05-23-17, 10:06 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
The thing with Armstrong is the perception that he was a jerk about it.

Perception?

Ask Emma O'Reilly, Betsy Andreu, Frankie Andreu, Greg Lemond, Tyler Hamilton, David Walsh, Mike Anderson, Filippo Simeoni etc. etc.

Purposefully destroying people's careers makes your status as a jerk reality, not just perception.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 05-23-17, 11:15 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Were there clean athletes or teams that finished 50th or so, that would otherwise have placed first? One can't say in hindsight.
Sure, but they don't get as much press.

Non-Doping Cyclists Finish Tour De France - The Onion - America's Finest News Source
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-23-17, 07:38 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
They're all dirty, cheating bastards
Those Colombians that he passed, as if they were standing still, on that Sestriere climb in 1999 must not have been cheating.....with the right stuff.

"When I saw riders with fat asses climbing cols like airplanes understood what was happening."................Luis Herrera
Old 05-23-17, 07:59 PM
Zurichman2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
The thing with Armstrong is the perception that he was a jerk about it.

He more or less turned the lie into marketing image for his career and business (granted, he arguably had to given the allegations that were hitting him through his career). It made the reversal more poignant, a lot of fans felt betrayed.

Then there's stuff like the matter of him leveraging Trek to go after LeMond.
Yeah I own 4 Lemond bikes and would own more if they still made them. Lance had that much power that he forced Trek to drop the Lemond brand. Lance never was caught because he had some medical person in his corner that knew how to beat the tests. He also forced everybody on his team to take drugs. Betsy Andreu came out saying that Lance forced her husband to take drugs when he didn't want to. From what I heard/read the entire peleton pulled up beside Frankie and spit on him that is just wrong.

Zman

Last edited by Zurichman2; 05-23-17 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-23-17, 08:00 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

The interesting thing is it seems like the TDF speeds increase every year.

Well, actually, apparently less change in speed over the last decade or so. Nonetheless, if the current riders are riding "clean", then they likely could have kept up with Lance Armstrong on drugs.
Nevertheless that's going to leave question marks for a lot of the fans who were expecting lower ETs on the climbs now. It's going to take some explaining.
Old 05-23-17, 11:06 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18382 Post(s)
Liked 4,515 Times in 3,355 Posts
Originally Posted by Zinger
Nevertheless that's going to leave question marks for a lot of the fans who were expecting lower ETs on the climbs now. It's going to take some explaining.
Ok, apparently Lance Armstrong does still hold the record for the fastest TDF.

One of the problems with drugs like steroids is that the effects may far outlast any typical washout period. Perhaps EPO might aid with training, even if not used during competition. The "passports" are supposed to help with detecting those, but are they good enough?

There is a slow improvement of bicycles. Perhaps only subtle changes, but the new frames are supposed to be stiffer where stiffness helps, and more compliant where a little flex is nice. Better tires. Better wheels and rims. Better spokes. Better understanding of rolling resistance and wind resistance. Aerodynamics. Absolute minimum legal weight for bikes.

The rider's only job is riding, with the best coaches, best nutrition. And best teamwork.

I don't think it would be unreasonable to expect TDF riders/bikes to be 5%-10% better than those a decade ago, so riders never having used PEDS may well be able to compete with those that have used them in the past.
Old 05-24-17, 07:31 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3781 Post(s)
Liked 1,049 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by Zinger
Those Colombians that he passed, as if they were standing still, on that Sestriere climb in 1999 must not have been cheating.....with the right stuff.

"When I saw riders with fat asses climbing cols like airplanes understood what was happening."................Luis Herrera
I've come to the conclusion that we "fans" of cycling (and of other sports) don't really understand this doping thing, i.e. the real extent of it. I really believe many of them dope in some way and that there are certain "secrets" that have not made it into the light of day.

I do think there are many that don't want to dope, but are basically forced into doing that, just like the entire USPS team. LA may have had the best doping program, but this was already basically a requirement (doping) if one wanted to compete in professional cycling in Europe. Doping Part of Professional Cycling?s Culture | The Sport Digest

I would never defend LA, because how he sought to destroy people around him disgusts me; however, this guy was a very talented athlete. There are many examples of one athlete passing others as if they're standing still. There are a lot of reasons this happens, you can't automatically go to the doping excuse, but I'm not saying it wasn't at least a factor.

Just look back in his early days and you can see that most of his performance comes from natural ability:

Old 05-24-17, 11:46 AM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

When Mo Siegal started the Red Zinger Classics they couldn't afford the drug testing but they pretended they did and took the urine samples from the winners and place finishers. Then they just threw them away after the race until Coors took the race over. The first legitimate drug tests weren't done until 1981.

The only person disqualified up until then was Australia's Phil Anderson for not showing up to give his sample after having won a criterium stage. He said he was invited up to a ladies room after the race and missed his appointment.
Old 05-25-17, 09:55 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Ok, apparently Lance Armstrong does still hold the record for the fastest TDF.

One of the problems with drugs like steroids is that the effects may far outlast any typical washout period. Perhaps EPO might aid with training, even if not used during competition. The "passports" are supposed to help with detecting those, but are they good enough?

There is a slow improvement of bicycles. Perhaps only subtle changes, but the new frames are supposed to be stiffer where stiffness helps, and more compliant where a little flex is nice. Better tires. Better wheels and rims. Better spokes. Better understanding of rolling resistance and wind resistance. Aerodynamics. Absolute minimum legal weight for bikes.

The rider's only job is riding, with the best coaches, best nutrition. And best teamwork.

I don't think it would be unreasonable to expect TDF riders/bikes to be 5%-10% better than those a decade ago, so riders never having used PEDS may well be able to compete with those that have used them in the past.
There's also the fact of greater depth in the field. LA rode his first Tour in 1993. 3 years before that, in 1990, the first riders from behind the iron curtain showed up on the start line. Before 7-Eleven in 1986, Americans would have been a rare sight. Essentially, before then, the peloton was, with a few rare exceptions, drawn from less than a dozen western European countries. Now there are Eritreans and Japanese and Russians and Colombians and riders drawn from every continent on the globe. I think that's obviously going to lead to increased competition.
Old 05-26-17, 08:17 AM
Gallo

Bikes: 2019 KonaLibre- 2003 Litespeed Vortex -2016 Intense Spider Factory Build -2008 Wilier Mortorolio- Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail converted to bafang 750 mid drive -1986 Paramount 2014 - --- Pivot Mach 429c

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
They say that Carlos Sastre was clean his whole career Very difficult to confirm one way or another.
Old 05-26-17, 09:07 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
Not insinuating cheating is/was right. Armstrong simply played the game they all played. Apparently, all things were equal and he came out on top. So logically, if no one had been doping, he still would have came out on top.
This to me is the worst part. Armstrong was arguably the best ride in a long time ... he might well have beaten everybody else if they were all clean.

Or ... he might have had the best doping program, the most tuned program which got him just that little extra performance with that little smaller physical cost, leaving him more ready to go the next day.

We were robbed of seeing what those guys really could have done.

Of course a lot of ignorant people (me) enjoyed what they did because we didn't know ... while a lot of people knew and said but no one wanted to listen.

Would the racing have been any less exciting if it wasn't really a competition between pharmacists?

On the other hand ... how nice would it have been to not have to know all our heroes were massive cheats?

Even more ... UCI Had to be in on it. No way I can imagine that Lance would Never have gotten caught unless UCI didn't want to catch him ... an American hero, a chance to expand cycling across the Atlantic the way earlier American riders couldn't offer. Armstrong was the right face at the right time ...

Then the question becomes ... how does Anyone get caught? Does UCI decide who to bust and who to pass? Is Any cycling race not fixed?

It is almost difficult to really commit to the sport any more because so many times I have gotten enthusiastic and then the positive tests roll in.
Old 05-26-17, 09:16 AM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by RJM
Personally, I think they are all skirting the rules as much as they can and I believe he system is corrupt enough to make positives go away. This new TUE thing that is coming out about Wiggins and SKy smells the same as during the Postal train era.

Seems like whenever there's a team as dominant as Sky or Postal (regardless of the sport - even high school football for crying out loud!) it comes out that they've been cheating one way or another. Doesn't stop me watching and enjoying pro cycling, but...

SP
OC, OR
Old 05-28-17, 09:09 PM
Zurichman2

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
This to me is the worst part. Armstrong was arguably the best ride in a long time ... he might well have beaten everybody else if they were all clean.

Or ... he might have had the best doping program, the most tuned program which got him just that little extra performance with that little smaller physical cost, leaving him more ready to go the next day.

We were robbed of seeing what those guys really could have done.

Of course a lot of ignorant people (me) enjoyed what they did because we didn't know ... while a lot of people knew and said but no one wanted to listen.

Would the racing have been any less exciting if it wasn't really a competition between pharmacists?

On the other hand ... how nice would it have been to not have to know all our heroes were massive cheats?

Even more ... UCI Had to be in on it. No way I can imagine that Lance would Never have gotten caught unless UCI didn't want to catch him ... an American hero, a chance to expand cycling across the Atlantic the way earlier American riders couldn't offer. Armstrong was the right face at the right time ...

Then the question becomes ... how does Anyone get caught? Does UCI decide who to bust and who to pass? Is Any cycling race not fixed?

It is almost difficult to really commit to the sport any more because so many times I have gotten enthusiastic and then the positive tests roll in.

IMHO somebody gets caught as they come out with a new test system that nobody has seen before. There is no doubt in my mind that Lance beat the tests as he had somebody really smart on his side in the medical field or Lab Testing field that knew how to beat the test. The rumor I heard that Floyd Landis got caught as he had a steroid patch on his groin area and feel asleep with it on and left it on there too long. The other thing I use to think the USA U19 or whatever the Junior rider age rider group is was white as snow. Then on a 1998 Colorado week tour I had a woman tell me her son was on the team and they tried to get him to take drugs and he refused. They took his coach away from him and made him ride in events/distances he didn't normally ride in. He keep winning so they left him alone and gave him his coach back. So much for the sport being pure.

Zman

Last edited by Zurichman2; 05-28-17 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-29-17, 04:41 AM
hobbs1951
Velominatus

Bikes: 1986 SBDU Raleigh, 1984 Raleigh Corsa, 1980 Allin Stan Butler Special, 2 x late 1960s Roberts, 1978 Philbook, 1964 Allin Belgique, 1959 Allin Stan Butler Special, 1951 Higgins Plus Parfait, 1951 Hobbs of Barbican, 1913 Centaur Featherweight.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK;19603460)The interesting thing is it seems like the TDF speeds increase every year.
[img
https://i.stack.imgur.com/Fi3QO.png[/img]
What should be factored in viz the speed increase is the distance decrease ?

John.