Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Origin8 PRO Pulsion SINGLE Hub rebuild

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-11, 08:27 PM
Anthropy
Knotty Guy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking for diagram to rebuild a Origin8 PRO Pulsion SINGLE Hub. I feel a little rougness in the bearing on one side of the hub and want to take a look to see if it needs a new bearing.

Can not seem to find out how to dissassemble the hub. Mine look like this. There is little set screw on each side.

https://www.origin-8.com/images/new_400/37273.jpg
Old 02-20-11, 09:25 PM
velo-orange

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
thats a sealed bearing hub. The caps on the end should be a press fit over the axle, and the bearings are seated in the hub shell via press fit too.
theres not much 'rebuilding' that you need to do- just slide off the end caps, push the axle through one end and remove the sealed cartridge bearings. Sealed bearings are widely available through the LBS or any bearing house or industrial supply catalogue. Every sealed bearing has a model number on the seal.

Old 02-20-11, 11:22 PM
Anthropy
Knotty Guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply.

I knew they were sealed bearings, I was just trying to figure out how to get to them. Do I losen one set screw and tap the axle out? I did not want to force anything until I knew more.

Is it possible to shorten the covers by 2mm with or without the use of a lathe?

I have had my Viscount hubs apart, where I just had to tap the axle out from one side (which removed the axle and one bearing). Then install the axle sans bearing and tapped out the other bearing.

Tom
Old 02-20-11, 11:42 PM
Squirrelli
GONE~

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://projekto-b.blogspot.com/2008/...-bearings.html

That article is helpful to learn how to replace cartridge bearings.
Old 02-21-11, 10:53 AM
Anthropy
Knotty Guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The one in the blog is how I dissassembled my Viscount hub. The Origin8 single does not have any exposed nuts. There is a long bell shaped cover on each end with a little nub of an axle sticking past the cover. Cover has a set screw (which I assume helps retain the cover). Axle can take quick release skewers or bolts screwed in from the ends.

I did not know if the bell shapped covers were screwed into the hub in any way, or are they just held onto the axle by friction (i.e. press) fit.

Tom
Old 02-21-11, 12:19 PM
velo-orange

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
From memory, the axle covers are press fit. I don;t remember a set screw holding it on tho. loosen it and see what happens.

Old 02-21-11, 05:18 PM
Anthropy
Knotty Guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I completely removed the set screws and they do not seem to do any retaining. Heck, they were not really even very tight. I wonder if they are there as a backup just in case the press fit ever became loose.

Tom