Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Max fender size on Lynskey GR300

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-20, 05:03 PM
JWK

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, GT Grade alloy, Trek 920

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts

Thinking about one of these bikes, but can find no info on fender sizes. Can anyone tell me the widest fender you've squeezed onto one of these? Thanks!
Old 12-05-20, 05:38 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2136 Post(s)
Liked 1,649 Times in 830 Posts
Originally Posted by JWK
Thinking about one of these bikes, but can find no info on fender sizes. Can anyone tell me the widest fender you've squeezed onto one of these? Thanks!
I have a Lynskey and have called them several times. They normally answer the phone very quickly and are very friendly. Not scary at all. Pick up the phone and call them.
Old 12-08-20, 06:03 PM
JWK

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I have a Lynskey and have called them several times. They normally answer the phone very quickly and are very friendly. Not scary at all. Pick up the phone and call them.
I did call them Friday afternoon. No one there knew the answer, but promised someone who did know would call me back on Monday. We've been without power since Saturday until this evening. The phone lines were out some of that time, so it's possible contact was attempted. I'll try again. I just thought someone here might have experience with this model. So no, don't think they're scary at all, either. I do like to hear what specifically other owners have done themselves, though.
Old 01-16-21, 03:16 PM
2WheelsNYC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 7 Posts
I'm able to fit some SKS Speedrockers on mine.
Old 01-16-21, 04:51 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3165 Post(s)
Liked 1,723 Times in 1,041 Posts
It’ll of course clear fenders up to the max tire size clearance, but do want more than that? Typically, if you fit full coverage fenders and the GR300 fits 700x45 tires max, you’ll probably need to drop a tire width or two to fit them with fenders. However, there are many different types of fenders, and depending on where the tire size limitation on the frame comes from, you may be able to fit both the max tire width and tefenders.

Full coverage fenders generally require more space than short fenders, especially near the BB, where chainstays and front derailleur occupy the space as well. The best fenders have cutout accommodation there, but short ones will anchor higher up, avoidng the cluster altogether.

What kid of protection are you looking for, and are you willing to sacrifice tire width to get it?
Old 01-17-21, 12:21 PM
JWK

Originally Posted by chaadster
It’ll of course clear fenders up to the max tire size clearance, but do want more than that? Typically, if you fit full coverage fenders and the GR300 fits 700x45 tires max, you’ll probably need to drop a tire width or two to fit them with fenders. However, there are many different types of fenders, and depending on where the tire size limitation on the frame comes from, you may be able to fit both the max tire width and tefenders.

Full coverage fenders generally require more space than short fenders, especially near the BB, where chainstays and front derailleur occupy the space as well. The best fenders have cutout accommodation there, but short ones will anchor higher up, avoidng the cluster altogether.

What kid of protection are you looking for, and are you willing to sacrifice tire width to get it?
Sometimes the manufacturers are very conservative in their "maximum" specs. Sometimes they are exaggerated, so I ask for experienced results. Fair questions, though.

No, I'm not willing to drop a size or two. What I'm looking for is the ability to fit 55mm full length fenders over RH Snoqualmie Pass tires (44mm). I would also like to fit 650b x 47 with 60mm full length fenders, but that is second in priority. These were the thoughts I had at the time of the OP. My thoughts have shifted a bit since then.

Lynskey never got back to me, and I didn't bother chasing after them. I was more or less planning on Lynskey's typical huge discount sale in the middle of winter, but I don't think it's going to happen this year for obvious reasons. In any case, I seriously doubt whether the lynskey can handle those tires with fenders. I also am in no hurry at this point to choose a frameset. All of my choices are unavailable except for lynskey, and even if I did get a frameset this winter, I would not be able to purchase some of the components I would need to build it up. I've accepted that it's most likely I will be waiting until this covid-19 thing is over and supplies become available again before I get to build the gravel bike that suits me best.
Old 01-17-21, 02:36 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by JWK
Sometimes the manufacturers are very conservative in their "maximum" specs. Sometimes they are exaggerated, so I ask for experienced results. Fair questions, though.

No, I'm not willing to drop a size or two. What I'm looking for is the ability to fit 55mm full length fenders over RH Snoqualmie Pass tires (44mm). I would also like to fit 650b x 47 with 60mm full length fenders, but that is second in priority. These were the thoughts I had at the time of the OP. My thoughts have shifted a bit since then.

Lynskey never got back to me, and I didn't bother chasing after them. I was more or less planning on Lynskey's typical huge discount sale in the middle of winter, but I don't think it's going to happen this year for obvious reasons. In any case, I seriously doubt whether the lynskey can handle those tires with fenders. I also am in no hurry at this point to choose a frameset. All of my choices are unavailable except for lynskey, and even if I did get a frameset this winter, I would not be able to purchase some of the components I would need to build it up. I've accepted that it's most likely I will be waiting until this covid-19 thing is over and supplies become available again before I get to build the gravel bike that suits me best.
Yeah, there are definitely parts supply problems right now; I’ve been sourcing bits for a build for a few weeks now, and had to accept some changes caused by lack of availability.
Old 01-19-21, 03:15 PM
gravelschlub

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I happen to have a GR300 with Steilacooms (700x38c knobby - but I suspect you know that!) on it and some old SKS fenders sitting in the garage that measure out to 55mm. I jabbed a fender into the fork and don't see how you'd fit anything bigger than a 700x35c slick with adequate clearance. With the fender all the way up at the top of the fork the front wheel didn't even turn. There is a little more room in the rear, but not much. As much as I love my GR300, I don't think you'll fit 55mm fenders with Snoqualmie Passes.
Old 01-19-21, 10:20 PM
JWK

Originally Posted by gravelschlub
I happen to have a GR300 with Steilacooms (700x38c knobby - but I suspect you know that!) on it and some old SKS fenders sitting in the garage that measure out to 55mm. I jabbed a fender into the fork and don't see how you'd fit anything bigger than a 700x35c slick with adequate clearance. With the fender all the way up at the top of the fork the front wheel didn't even turn. There is a little more room in the rear, but not much. As much as I love my GR300, I don't think you'll fit 55mm fenders with Snoqualmie Passes.
Well, there ya go. That's what I'm talking about. Thanks for the info. If I get a Lynskey, I'll accept that it's just not fender friendly for me.
Old 01-20-21, 10:58 AM
gravelschlub

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JWK
Well, there ya go. That's what I'm talking about. Thanks for the info. If I get a Lynskey, I'll accept that it's just not fender friendly for me.
Happy to help.
Old 01-20-21, 12:45 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by JWK
Seems to affirm what I told you, only the tire downsizing suggested is even greater, probably because they used a wider-than-max-tire-spec width fender (i.e. 55mm fender vs Lynskey 45mm tire spec).

Which gets back to the other thing I told you about not all fenders being the same.

But, if you prefer to give up on the fender idea rather than explore options, that’s your prerogative because it’s your bike and your ride.