Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

What do you tell people that claim 'you're cheating'?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

What do you tell people that claim 'you're cheating'?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-20, 10:39 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 1,903 Times in 1,137 Posts
So for all of you I am not sounding in about e-bikes but about cheating. I am a USGA professional and I am by the very nature of it able to compete as a professional in golf tournaments. However I am invited quite regularly to compete in local charity events and other events. The rules for me are quite different than for any others participating. By the USGA rules I cannot participate in any tournament that uses USGA rules to govern the rules of play. That means no participation for me period!
Is it right? Who knows, but I do know the rules for me, and it means no participation as it would be cheating for me. And what about the poor guy who plays his butt off and I beat him by ten strokes. Do you think I cheated him? I would say yes. Bu the discussion is really about ethics and whether one chooses to cheat. Is an e-bike cheating? Not if it keeps you riding past your bodily prime, JMHO, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 02-16-20, 03:20 AM
Bluesfrog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
I've been thinking about this for a while. I probably won't say a thing unless it is a co-worker and at work. Then it is gloves off. Working at a prison, I don't play well with others but smile a lot. Starting out polite gives you room to do what you must. It works with offenders or staff. You will find the offenders aren't the problem it is the staff. Be Well, Bluesfrog.
Old 02-16-20, 04:28 AM
alo

Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Don't live your life being concerned about what other people say. Just do sensible things, even if others don't see it like you.

When you are not concerned, it is often easy to take it as a joke, and respond back with a joke. If you are not concerned, they normally leave you alone.
Old 02-16-20, 06:19 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
It's not cheating. I like this piece from the NYT:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/20/o...ike-aging.html
Old 02-17-20, 09:31 AM
Steeljag

Bikes: Giant TCR Adv Pro I

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wow, this post has gone in so many different directions it’s meaningless!
Old 02-25-20, 11:42 AM
spartan_262

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if u r in a race then yes, it is cheating. but if u r just riding outside then its not cheating, who are u even cheating at that point? mother nature? lol
Old 02-27-20, 04:43 PM
Bluesfrog

I now cheat all the way to work. Some of my friends look lots heavier than I am. If the idea is bad then bicycling on an ebike keeps me from looking like an adult male walrus. I don't buy chocolate milk after riding hard in to work. I quit a lot of those bad habits. I only work part time now. So I have to ride more. Years ago I quit soda and in three months lost seven pounds. I gave myself the option to have one a week. When the urge hit I would tell myself to get one later in the week. It helped. Recently I let myself have one now and then. But I'm still cheating my way to work. Good luck and Be Well, Bluesfrog.
Old 02-27-20, 05:00 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
I just changed my opinion on the e-bike, at first I thought was ok. Now I just heard the first death in UK. hit a lady and killed her. He was traveling at 30 mph. That is a motor bike so should have a license etc. I would say at the least the assist should be cut off at 15mph or if has assist after 15 mph, you are now a motor bike so you have it liscenced as just that a cycle with a motor., a motorcycle …..

Last edited by rossiny; 02-27-20 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-27-20, 08:19 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by rossiny
I just changed my opinion on the e-bike, at first I thought was ok. Now I just heard the first death in UK. hit a lady and killed her. He was traveling at 30 mph. That is a motor bike so should have a license etc. I would say at the least the assist should be cut off at 15mph or if has assist after 15 mph, you are now a motor bike so you have it liscenced as just that a cycle with a motor., a motorcycle …..
well the only problem with your argument is 20 I thin kid the limit for e bikes in the uk. but since you can buy direct from china it is hard to stop such things. there are deaths from people on regular bikes too.
Old 02-28-20, 07:18 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Bluesfrog
I now cheat all the way to work. Some of my friends look lots heavier than I am. If the idea is bad then bicycling on an ebike keeps me from looking like an adult male walrus. I don't buy chocolate milk after riding hard in to work. I quit a lot of those bad habits. I only work part time now. So I have to ride more. Years ago I quit soda and in three months lost seven pounds. I gave myself the option to have one a week. When the urge hit I would tell myself to get one later in the week. It helped. Recently I let myself have one now and then. But I'm still cheating my way to work. Good luck and Be Well, Bluesfrog.
Yea, sure, I'll do it next week. . .

Here is a round of applause to the awesome powers of procrastination
After all, why bother putting off until next week something that really doesn't need to be done at all.

(meant in the best possible spirit)
Old 02-28-20, 11:56 AM
Cpn_Dunsel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Nxkharra
i have been riding average of 15-20 miles per day vs 10 miles per week. I am 66 with injured knee and arthritis. The ebikes has helped amazingly.
Let the haters say what they want.
They said the same stuff when I started using digital photography vs film, digital book bs paper, and cell phone vs landline.

And they were right about photographs, books and cell phones. Digital photos taken today are not going to be around by the end of this century, They will all be lost and likely no way to view them even if the files are intact (they won't be.) Real archived prints done properly will last hundreds of years. Same too with digital books and e-readers. They do not last even a single lifetime.

Future historians will have trouble documenting this era because of these issues.

Cell phones have made us less communicative.

It is an over simplification to call someone a hater over these legitimate issues with the modern world.
Old 02-28-20, 11:24 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
well the only problem with your argument is 20 I thin kid the limit for e bikes in the uk. but since you can buy direct from china it is hard to stop such things. there are deaths from people on regular bikes too.
perhaps, But a e- Bikes is way heavier and traveling at 30 mph is more dangerous than a regular bike in terms of hitting a pedestrian. ..
Old 02-29-20, 10:45 AM
Bluesfrog

Are people in arms when someone hits a pedestrian with a car? In the US it is the drivers' fault not the CAR!!! So we need to make stupid legislation for bicycles because one person hurts a pedestrian but thousands of people on bikes hurt no one??? You sound like the current crop of (*&^%*^&)_(+I in the US Congress right now. I put up with the results of LIBERALS running a state corrections Department. That's their style of knee jerk reaction for one person doing something they don't like. Make a law for everyone who doesn't ever even do what they outlawed. After 23 years working inside the chain links I guess I'm just old and crotchety. As long as you keep those laws in GB I'm ok with it. Be Well, Bluesfrog.
Likes For Bluesfrog: