Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking to buy endurance bike - club members pushing me away from Roubaix

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Looking to buy endurance bike - club members pushing me away from Roubaix

Old 03-27-19, 11:48 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
Somehow I think Specialized would buy up a lot of "Future Shock"-specced springs and stock them---convenience for a price. If the Future Shock falls out of favor, there will still be countless out there ... and if the owners need a replacement, i bet most would pay the premium and buy from Spec instead of trying to source their own. A few pallets in a warehouse somewhere generating guaranteed profit and also adding customer satisfaction.
Old 03-28-19, 10:49 AM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Baldy1953
There is not a valid reason not to buy the Roubaix if this is the bike that is desired. My Roubaix was included in the recall. My collar was replaced and from what the owner of the shop and myself could see, there was no corrosion to the collar. I do not ride mine on a trainer either. The "so called" corrosion problem was from sweat while riding on a trainer. This was told to me by my trusted bike shop owner. He had read this direct from Specialized.
If my future shock becomes outdated,then I would bet I could find a spring with the proper rates for a replacement. It is a spring. Not a proprietary special gear or other some such device.

It appears to me the naysayers of the future shock are just jealous they do not have such a comfortable riding bike. Get off the fence and buy yourselves a Specialized with the future shock. You just might find you won't go back to your old bike.

Everyone has their own opinions on the different aspects of bicycles. Trying to dissuade someone from buying technology makes no sense to me. Suggest they ride the bike in question and make their own mind up. After all, they are the ones with their butt on the seat.
Well I'll put it this way. I'm not here to say, "hey man don't buy this, it sucks". But OP was asking for opinions online, and he already has opinions from his local buddies (who know the road and riding style that the OP will most likely be doing). So now OP is asking for secondary opinions, yep, it's called abstraction of thinking. So, if anyone just tells him "hey dude get what you like, it's your money", well while this sounds friendly and cozy, it's not really much of an assessment value.

I provided my opinions taking these variables into considerations:
1. road condition that OP will be riding on
2. potential issues sourcing parts
3. available options out there (eg, Trek Domane)
4. an layer of cut up bartape placed underneat the outter layer may suffice
5. his buddies' opinions, they probably know the area better than anyone in here

Now if OP had said something like over 50% of my ride is on B-grade road with potholes and cracks causing pain at the wrist, then sure I'd say get a bike with suspension in the handlebar, and probably suspension in the rear too (because if road is rough enough to cause pain in the wrist, it's probably bumping your ass majorly too)
Old 03-28-19, 10:56 AM
aclinjury

Originally Posted by velopig
I have had the privilege of spending extended periods of time on your blessed roads and yes they are good however that does not mitigate the advantages a compliant bicycle gives. The future shock really helps with that compliance. Your area also has many secondary roads and gravel which the Roubaix opens up for the rider to enjoy. As far as obsolescence goes I guess I will just have to take the risk. But saying the future shock which is basically a spring is going to be the item which mothballs the bike is a bit much. By the way, I have a 1980's Custom Marinoni you may enjoy building up with its126mm rear end spacing, downtube friction shifters, 6 speed freewheel etc. Time and technology move on and I am choosing to enjoy being on that continuum and if that means I need to skip a meal out or order a less expensive bottle of wine so be it.
I don't ride gravel roads so I can't say much how the Roubaix would perform. I will either do road rides or full mtb rides around here for the fun factor. I do see some people taking their cx bikes on hard pack dirt or fireroads, I guess if that's they wanna do, but when we descend the guys on cx bikes are really sketchy almost on the verge of outta control at times. Me, I'll just use my xc mtb with full suspension.
Old 03-28-19, 11:54 AM
Baldy1953

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
@aclinjury, Was not trying to say your opinion was not valid. I was giving mine also. I do not think having a future shock could be in any way detrimental. In the future, the OP might just move and have rougher roads to ride on. Having the future shock would make that transition less painful, ( on hands and the pocket book) was my line of thinking. Any isolation from getting jarred would be a good thing in my thinking.

The future shock has very few parts to wear out from what I have seen. Again, the collar recall was caused by using the bike on a trainer and getting sweat onto the area where the collar resides. Sure , a spring can break, but I do not think it would be that hard to find a suitable replacement.

I am done commenting as any further response seems fruitless. Stating my opinion. The OP is the one that makes the ultimate decision. Your opinion he does not need it with smooth roads holds true. Do you know he will never ride on rougher roads?
Old 03-28-19, 01:16 PM
aclinjury

Originally Posted by Baldy1953
@aclinjury, Was not trying to say your opinion was not valid. I was giving mine also. I do not think having a future shock could be in any way detrimental. In the future, the OP might just move and have rougher roads to ride on. Having the future shock would make that transition less painful, ( on hands and the pocket book) was my line of thinking. Any isolation from getting jarred would be a good thing in my thinking.

The future shock has very few parts to wear out from what I have seen. Again, the collar recall was caused by using the bike on a trainer and getting sweat onto the area where the collar resides. Sure , a spring can break, but I do not think it would be that hard to find a suitable replacement.

I am done commenting as any further response seems fruitless. Stating my opinion. The OP is the one that makes the ultimate decision. Your opinion he does not need it with smooth roads holds true. Do you know he will never ride on rougher roads?
Reading OP's original post, I get this notion (and thus my opinion):

- he has tried both the Roubaix and Cayon and he liked both. So at this point, he has options that is equally as good as the Roubaix. But it seems that his incentive to go for the Roubaix is money as he can get a few hundred discount compared to the Canyon (I have already said if money is important, then it's his call).

- he lives around the Carlsbad area, and people who lives around here will tend/enjoy riding to Oceanside, Camp Pendleton, San Clemente. Or they could head south towards Solana Beach and San Diego. All these routes are along or nearly along the coast with cool ocean breeze and scenic views. On the weekends, there are tons of cyclists riding in groups or solo'ing along these routes. OP never mentioned his need to tame B-roads or even his desire to plan to do gravel, so I've (reasonably?) assumed he's one of the many roadies in this region whose staple road rides are along the places I've mentioned, which have SUPERB roads. If riding rough roads and/or gravel is important to him, I'd imagined would have mentioned it.
Old 03-31-19, 07:57 PM
LargoPQ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury
Reading OP's original post, I get this notion (and thus my opinion):

- he has tried both the Roubaix and Cayon and he liked both. So at this point, he has options that is equally as good as the Roubaix. But it seems that his incentive to go for the Roubaix is money as he can get a few hundred discount compared to the Canyon (I have already said if money is important, then it's his call).

- he lives around the Carlsbad area, and people who lives around here will tend/enjoy riding to Oceanside, Camp Pendleton, San Clemente. Or they could head south towards Solana Beach and San Diego. All these routes are along or nearly along the coast with cool ocean breeze and scenic views. On the weekends, there are tons of cyclists riding in groups or solo'ing along these routes. OP never mentioned his need to tame B-roads or even his desire to plan to do gravel, so I've (reasonably?) assumed he's one of the many roadies in this region whose staple road rides are along the places I've mentioned, which have SUPERB roads. If riding rough roads and/or gravel is important to him, I'd imagined would have mentioned it.
OP here - you nailed it . Yeah, exactly. Roads are relatively solid. And you were 100% right on all your other points.
Old 03-31-19, 09:26 PM
LargoPQ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury
Well I'll put it this way. I'm not here to say, "hey man don't buy this, it sucks". But OP was asking for opinions online, and he already has opinions from his local buddies (who know the road and riding style that the OP will most likely be doing). So now OP is asking for secondary opinions, yep, it's called abstraction of thinking. So, if anyone just tells him "hey dude get what you like, it's your money", well while this sounds friendly and cozy, it's not really much of an assessment value.

I provided my opinions taking these variables into considerations:
1. road condition that OP will be riding on
2. potential issues sourcing parts
3. available options out there (eg, Trek Domane)
4. an layer of cut up bartape placed underneat the outter layer may suffice
5. his buddies' opinions, they probably know the area better than anyone in here

Now if OP had said something like over 50% of my ride is on B-grade road with potholes and cracks causing pain at the wrist, then sure I'd say get a bike with suspension in the handlebar, and probably suspension in the rear too (because if road is rough enough to cause pain in the wrist, it's probably bumping your ass majorly too)
OP here - aclinjury pretty much nailed it with his comments, but I figured I’d respond to your specific queries:

1. Road conditions are north county coastal and inland San Diego and South Orange County. Pretty solid roads overall, not ideal, but pretty good.
2. Zero issues sourcing parts. San Diego is a haven for cyclists. Multiple shops for almost all makes.
3. Available options - Almost everything. Trek, Specialized, Canyon, Orbea, Bianchi, Cervelo, Colnago, Cannondale, Giant, Pinarello, among others...
4. Good tip on the bartape
5. They know better than some but not all. Not jackasses, just cool folks with strong opinions. If I showed up with a 40 year old Schwinn, they’d make a couple jokes and quickly forget about it.

Not much B grade roads, and no real plans for gravel riding. Like to be comfortable though .

To your other point, I’m valuing your and others input into opinions on road bikes for these conditions. Honestly, it’ll come down to what I choose in the end, obviously. Feel free to share opinions or not (this is directed more broadly, not at anyone in particular).

Cheers
Old 04-01-19, 05:25 AM
luevelvet

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2019 Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Someone’s already mentioned this and maybe I have too (didn’t check the whole thread) but seriously consider test riding a Trek Domane. Rides amazing on both rough and nice roads, is relatively fast and very comfortable. If you have everything available I would be testing riding everything every weekend to find the perfect fit. Why not!?
Old 04-01-19, 07:54 AM
aclinjury

Originally Posted by LargoPQ

OP here - aclinjury pretty much nailed it with his comments, but I figured I’d respond to your specific queries:

1. Road conditions are north county coastal and inland San Diego and South Orange County. Pretty solid roads overall, not ideal, but pretty good.
2. Zero issues sourcing parts. San Diego is a haven for cyclists. Multiple shops for almost all makes.
3. Available options - Almost everything. Trek, Specialized, Canyon, Orbea, Bianchi, Cervelo, Colnago, Cannondale, Giant, Pinarello, among others...
4. Good tip on the bartape
5. They know better than some but not all. Not jackasses, just cool folks with strong opinions. If I showed up with a 40 year old Schwinn, they’d make a couple jokes and quickly forget about it.

Not much B grade roads, and no real plans for gravel riding. Like to be comfortable though .

To your other point, I’m valuing your and others input into opinions on road bikes for these conditions. Honestly, it’ll come down to what I choose in the end, obviously. Feel free to share opinions or not (this is directed more broadly, not at anyone in particular).

Cheers
well there you go. you have solid info to work on

I'm from OC but I venture into your neck of the woods a lot by riding from OC to Torrey Pine and back to Oceanside and then taking the metro home. My most preferred weapon of choice is my Cinelli XCR (stainless steel) with 25mm wide Zipp 30 wheels/ 25c tires. For my handlebar, I use a little thicker bar tape, plus additionally padded a couple layers of sandwiched bar tape and stuff it underneath the wraps, this gives some beef and compliance to your wrist and palms quite nicely. I also do the same for the drops too, add a couple layers of tapes right at the regions where your hands rest against when in the drops. I don't do double-wrap since this will make the bar way too big. I use this bike when riding around East San Diego (like Western Loop, Palomar) too it's nice.

a lot of guys who ride the Trek Domane says the isospeed seatpost design give a nice comfort (isospeed allows the seatpost to flex). However, I've read that the first generation of isospeed is now starting to show issues in the field (water ingress causing the junction issues? don't quote me on it completely). Trek had improved on the isospeed design to address these issues, but if you decide to go with the Domane, make sure it's using the lastest isospeed design. But me, I'd rather forgo the isospeed and just use wide rims/tires for comfort, because this is pretty much all you'll need in your neck of the woods.
Old 04-02-19, 07:02 PM
Sackaroo

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
I'll be joining the Roubaix owners club today. Also getting a Comp Di2, it's really a great deal and wheels are whatever because I plan to pair some deep section Light Bicycle wheels to it in the near future. I've seen many Roubaix on my club rides, but then again I was on an aluminum frame on those same rides, so like everyone is saying, it likely won't matter as far as speed goes.

The Roubaix is designed to suspend the rider, but not the frame. That's why it can still be as stiff and responsive as its geometry dictates. If you compare reviews of the Roubaix vs bikes where the compliance is solely provided by the frame and fork, you'll notice that reviewers will often note flex in the latter that appears in forms like rotor rub during out of saddle efforts. I personally thought on my test ride that the most enjoyable aspect of it was the planted feeling I got on a fast descent. Specialized says the Roubaix's design allows it to stay in contact with the ground more, and it does at least when compared to my alluminum bike with composite fork.

Since I'm between sizes, I chose to go for the smaller frame which has a very similar geo to my current bike that Giant considers an "all-rounder" to get the same nimble handling rather than sizing up and getting a more relaxed ride quality that comes from higher stack and longer wheelbase. This is probably where the Roubaix may not work for some people who can't size down and therefore get a more disconnected feeling.

I just heard from a very reliable source at Specialized that they will be announcing a New Roubaix within the next couple weeks at the Paris Roubaix. You will be able to order online at that time and get the bike within a couple weeks thereafter. Stay tuned....
Old 04-03-19, 11:00 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Sackaroo

I just heard from a very reliable source at Specialized that they will be announcing a New Roubaix within the next couple weeks at the Paris Roubaix. You will be able to order online at that time and get the bike within a couple weeks thereafter. Stay tuned....
I've heard that thru-the-grapevine as well. Curious to see what changes have been implemented.
Old 04-03-19, 11:16 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Changes that I've heard on new Roubaix: some aero improvements and a less ugly Future Shock (which one reviewer wrote looks like a giraffe in a turtleneck). Initially will just be on Pro and S-Works level models.
Old 04-07-19, 09:13 PM
LargoPQ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Changes that I've heard on new Roubaix: some aero improvements and a less ugly Future Shock (which one reviewer wrote looks like a giraffe in a turtleneck). Initially will just be on Pro and S-Works level models.
Wo! That might be why they are discounting the 2019 models so steep right now. Paris Roubaix is next week, should be interesting.
Old 04-08-19, 04:28 AM
phuntley
Cavemaster

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp-Ultegra Di2

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Partners in crime?

first post here...Im looking to get a new bike as my Focus Izalco is a bit too aggressive for me with my minor back problems.

i test rode both the Specialized Roubaix and Canyon Endurace (I live close to Canyon HQ in Carlsbad, CA). Loved them both. Great climbing and speed. I posted my test rides on Strava (Roubaix in hills, Endurace in flats). Both had solid numbers.

Anyway, a couple of my club members were knocking the Roubaix, but didn’t have much content beyond “it’s not stuff enough” and “you’ll be disappointed”. Also “it’s a second rate bike”. Not much else content. But these are longtime cycling guys who know their stuff. Didn’t have much time to get more details from them.

both bikes felt great, and with Specialized having a really good sale on the model I like (Roubaix Comp Di2, for $3450), and also seeing good deals on an Outlet Canyon in my size, I’m hesitating pulling the trigger.

question for the group. Anyone have a mid range Roubaix or Endurace and have trouble keeping up with a club B group, with occasional A group rides? I’m guessing the answer is no, but was hoping to validate my theory.

thanks in advance!
Bought the same "second rate bike" last week (get it today!!) since the "first rate" S-Works is waaaay out of my price point. Now we can shoulder the negativity together lol!
Old 04-09-19, 02:16 PM
Sackaroo

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
There are definitely great bargains on the Roubaix’s at the moment - a dealer offered me a 2018 S Works new for 25% discount! Should be interesting if the new Roubaix’s that will be announced next week will have significant benefits for all riders or just “elite” riders.
Old 04-10-19, 12:16 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
The new Roubaix are out. New aero frame and D-shaped seatpost (no more CG-R with Zertz). Expert and higher have new Future Shock 2.0 that's hydraulic and a funny-looking dial on top to adjust, lower tiers have 1.5 that has a smoother cover but not sure if different internals.

I'm fine with my 2019 Comp Di2. The new one has a $4,400 MSRP so basically $900 more than what I paid for some better aerodynamics, maybe weight savings, and a superficially nicer Future Shock look. S-Works Dura-Ace Di2 model went from $8,000 during the rebate period to $11,000 and I don't notice any significant changes besides the ones I already mentioned.
Old 04-10-19, 12:46 PM
124Spider

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 2018 Rodriguez Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
But these are longtime cycling guys who know their stuff.
"Longtime cycling guys" may or may not "know their stuff." "Longtime cycling guys" are at least as likely to have long-ingrained prejudices as to "know their stuff."

In my experience, far too many hobbyists get hung up on validating their choices, often by knocking any other choice. Cyclists are at least as likely to have that, uh, flaw as any other hobbyist.

Do your own homework. Don't listen to anyone who can't give specifics. Run away from brand fanbois.

Mark
Old 04-10-19, 12:47 PM
alfhasian

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Sirrus Sport, 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The new Roubaix are out. New aero frame and D-shaped seatpost (no more CG-R with Zertz). Expert and higher have new Future Shock 2.0 that's hydraulic and a funny-looking dial on top to adjust, lower tiers have 1.5 that has a smoother cover but not sure if different internals.

I'm fine with my 2019 Comp Di2. The new one has a $4,400 MSRP so basically $900 more than what I paid for some better aerodynamics, maybe weight savings, and a superficially nicer Future Shock look. S-Works Dura-Ace Di2 model went from $8,000 during the rebate period to $11,000 and I don't notice any significant changes besides the ones I already mentioned.
I've got the 2019 Comp Di2 as well and I've got no regrets here either! I never actually had a problem with the look of the CG-R, in fact I kinda like it as a distinguishing feature.
Old 04-10-19, 03:10 PM
calderarider08

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am biased to say anything cannondale is what you should get
Old 04-10-19, 03:29 PM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
New owner of a 2018 Roubaix Expert. Price was right with the Spring Sale discount.

My first road bike in 40+ years. Nice ride, I'm liking it a lot.

Last edited by teejaywhy; 04-11-19 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-10-19, 03:39 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
New Rouxbaix looks pretty good:
- fixed the first gen Future Shock which was undamped and bouncy apparently
- got rid of that "interesting" seatpost with the worst name ever
- got rid of the silly box attachment
- kept the threaded BB
- created a "pro fit" version with a shorter headtube (did this exist previously? I don't know)
- stole Giant's idea of a D shaped, compliant seatpost (which I can personally attest really works)
- cosmetic "aero" stuff that I don't buy. It does look better. Not sure about that seatpost clamp, though.

The result looks like a more practical bike that I'm sure rides well.
Old 04-11-19, 04:55 AM
abramj

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Roubaix feels stiff. But I'm coming off riding a Miyata steel frame that flexed a lot when I was sprinting. So it's in the eyes of the beholder. If my friend owned a Trek store, I would probably be riding a Trek Domane. But I don't think it would ride as smooth as my Roubaix. I have the future shock and the S-Works CG seat post, and running 28 tires. I ride mixed roads of blacktop and gravel. I think it climbs well and rides smooth. And I certainly don't feel the Future Shock when I'm riding in any way. But I did notice that after a 30-40 mile ride on our rough patched blactop, my hands are not sore from the beating any more.

My 2 cents worth.

Joe
Old 04-11-19, 11:02 AM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by teejaywhy
New owner of a 2018 Roubaix Expert. Price was right with the Spring Sale discount.

My first road bike in 40+ years. Nice ride, I'm liking it a lot.
I did immediately ditch the toolbox. Good idea but it was not working for me aesthetically.

Came with the medium spring installed in the future shock. Will be switching to the firm spring to try that out.