Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Weird vibration and low squeak in thru axle

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-19-18, 10:23 AM
JMM93

Bikes: Felt F55x Cross, Stumpjumper FSR 29 Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

recently my front wheel starting making these long horn like squeaks when rolling very slowly. I noticed that it seems to coming from the thru axle. It has hit a point that when I spin the wheel, it squeaks and even slows quickly to a halt. When I loosen the thru axle it has no issues. Any guess what it could be before I take it in? I'm thinking maybe some light regreasing of the axle?

Any help appreciated. Cheers!
Old 03-19-18, 11:44 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
Brake scrubbing would be the first thing I'd make certain of. Disc, caliper, cantilever or what have you. I've just never seen a hub so bad and dry that it makes that noise. But maybe it is.

Loosening/tighening the axle will alter the plane of the wheel which can cause the scrubbing of brakes. As well, tightening the hub can tighten the bearings which might be your squeak if they are dry. Certainly other rotating parts of the hub in contact with parts or the hub/axle not moving at the same speed might be the cause too.
Old 03-19-18, 03:43 PM
JMM93

Bikes: Felt F55x Cross, Stumpjumper FSR 29 Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iride01
Brake scrubbing would be the first thing I'd make certain of. Disc, caliper, cantilever or what have you. I've just never seen a hub so bad and dry that it makes that noise. But maybe it is.

Loosening/tighening the axle will alter the plane of the wheel which can cause the scrubbing of brakes. As well, tightening the hub can tighten the bearings which might be your squeak if they are dry. Certainly other rotating parts of the hub in contact with parts or the hub/axle not moving at the same speed might be the cause too.
Thanks for the tip. I will double check the disc brakes, but I'm fairly certain it is not them that are making the noise.