Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Bike for Fun Build--what do you think?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-18, 05:00 AM
ADAP7IVE

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Blue "mamachari" 3-speed, Kona Explosif

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have my utility/commuter cycling squared away thanks to much help from members here, but looking to build a second, lighter, strictly-for-fun bike. The riding I like is on rough roads, dirt paths, some singletrack for up to days (working up to weeks) at a time; ideally a bike for fun day trips, bikepacking, and credit-card tours. Maintenance isn't something I love, either. I was set on Di2 to accommodate a disability for shifting with one hand, but I found that SRAM's brifters worked with practice (frees up a lot of cash to not to NEED expensive tech!) Here's what I'm thinking:

1. Firefly/Eriksen/Moots with SRAM 1x and hydro discs. Love the look of raw Ti and the lessened need to be careful with it as with painted steel or Aluminum. Easily made to my spec.

2. Co-Motion gravel bike (Klatch?) with Pinion gearbox and hydro discs.

3. Rebuilding my 2012 Surly Disc Trucker that's been sitting in storage back in the States. Tentatively that would mean new hydro brakes to replace the Avid BB7's, new bar (shallow drop, maybe Soma Condor), SRAM 1x instead of Deore-and-downtube-shifters 2x. The most economical option, the only downside being that I never felt like the Trucker handled particularly sharp or fun, never "felt" fast or light. It is chromo and built to be long and stable, after all.

What do you think? Other ideas welcome, these are just the ones that I've been playing around with recently.
Old 02-18-18, 06:31 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
A Trucker build is never going to feel fast or light.

Moots Baxter frame? There's a guy in Japan with one somewhere.

Curve GMX ?

Last edited by tangerineowl; 02-18-18 at 06:35 AM. Reason: txt
Old 02-18-18, 09:27 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
1) For a Ti bike, from those makers, you're looking at spending $4500 just for the frameset. Thus a build ion total is probably going to break $7,000-$8,000USD. So saving $500, while a ton of money, it isn't significant in the total purchase. If you want hydro Di2 go for it, it is a nice system.

2) Firefly has a 15-month waiting list from what I hear....they offer a $200-some USD "fee" to cut in line and get a build in weeks instead of a year+. I feel that is a bit slimey, but that is me.

3) Are you wanting to bike-pack or do you want panniers? Panniers adds another element-as not many lighter carbon forks support rack mounts...NVM high-clearance ones.

4) Do you have a tire-clearance number to shoot for? The Co-Motion (NVM geometry)has less clearance than say a Routt45.

The trucker is a nice tank....but I don't think you can make it into a spry quick/fun-bike.
Old 02-18-18, 02:56 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
2) Firefly has a 15-month waiting list from what I hear....they offer a $200-some USD "fee" to cut in line and get a build in weeks instead of a year+. I feel that is a bit slimey, but that is me.
Super slimy.
Old 02-18-18, 07:10 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Moooooots
Old 02-18-18, 10:27 PM
Sully151

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 9 (29), Trek Fuel EX 8 (26) Trek Project One Road.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Have you looked at Why Cycles?

https://www.whycycles.com/our-bikes/rcycle/
Old 02-19-18, 09:58 PM
ADAP7IVE

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Blue "mamachari" 3-speed, Kona Explosif

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tangerineowl
A Trucker build is never going to feel fast or light.

Moots Baxter frame? There's a guy in Japan with one somewhere.

Curve GMX ?
I almost went with the Baxter last year! Still on the short list. The Curve looks great, too--and at a lower price. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
1) For a Ti bike, from those makers, you're looking at spending $4500 just for the frameset. Thus a build ion total is probably going to break $7,000-$8,000USD. So saving $500, while a ton of money, it isn't significant in the total purchase. If you want hydro Di2 go for it, it is a nice system.

3) Are you wanting to bike-pack or do you want panniers? Panniers adds another element-as not many lighter carbon forks support rack mounts...NVM high-clearance ones.

4) Do you have a tire-clearance number to shoot for? The Co-Motion (NVM geometry)has less clearance than say a Routt45.

The trucker is a nice tank....but I don't think you can make it into a spry quick/fun-bike.
Good points, thanks for chiming in. You're right about the price. Might do E-Tap or Di2 if I go with one of the custom Ti makers. With costly electronic systems and frames, though, I'm facing competing interests--my interest in a long-lived bike (at those prices, 5 years and 15,000 km is the bare minimum of what I'd call a worthwhile investment) and my desire for refined equipment.

Thinking bags for this one, since I'll pack light regardless. My commuter has full racks and it's my heavy-hauler. I think I'd still like to keep fenders an option, though.

On clearance, I quite like riding a 2.0 tire, hoping for somewhere between 40 and 50 mm for a 650b or 700 wheel.

Originally Posted by thehammerdog
Moooooots
lol, no argument there. Do you have one?

Originally Posted by Sully151
Have you looked at Why Cycles?

R+ - Why Cycles
Thanks! Yeah, they make nice-looking stuff.
Old 02-22-18, 01:38 AM
BigC_82

Bikes: 2003 Raleigh M40, 2015 Raleigh RX 2.0, 2017 Kinesis Tripster A/T

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I like throw kinesis tripster atr into the mix
Old 04-17-18, 11:47 AM
crdean1

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Siena

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just seeing this. What did you end up going with? I love my Baxter, just throwing that out there.
Old 04-18-18, 07:55 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
If you're still going ahead on this project I'll just say I love my Soma Condors and would recommend them.
Old 04-19-18, 04:04 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by crdean1
Just seeing this. What did you end up going with? I love my Baxter, just throwing that out there.
I'm going to need pics of that Baxter

BikePacking has just done an in-depth review of the GMX, noting a couple of things which could be improved.
Those suggestions will be on the updated frame when it comes out.

Last edited by tangerineowl; 04-19-18 at 04:05 PM. Reason: txt