Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Specialized Crosstrail owners thread

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Specialized Crosstrail owners thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-18, 06:02 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
Well, the Sport and the less expensive Crosstrails were updated with different colors, same specs it appears. So far thats it.

The last two years it seems Specialized was late on updating the web page on the Crosstrails. This year doesn't appear to be different.

Were they anywhere near as late as this year?
Old 09-25-18, 08:42 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
It is a little strange.

The 2019 Crosstrails are on the Canadian site ... I think (!): https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/sh...t=#result-list

The aluminum ones continue as before, with two frames (A1 Premium and Premium SL). AFAIK, the two carbon models are being discontinued, though I could be wrong about that. We won't know until the U.S. site fully updates. BTW, and oddly, you can find the aluminum 2019 Crosstrail Elite on the U.S. site's Bike Archive page: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/sh...t=#result-list
Old 09-25-18, 09:26 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Originally Posted by badger1
It is a little strange.

The 2019 Crosstrails are on the Canadian site ... I think (!): https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/sh...t=#result-list

The aluminum ones continue as before, with two frames (A1 Premium and Premium SL). AFAIK, the two carbon models are being discontinued, though I could be wrong about that. We won't know until the U.S. site fully updates. BTW, and oddly, you can find the aluminum 2019 Crosstrail Elite on the U.S. site's Bike Archive page: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/sh...t=#result-list

Have they updated their Sirrus range on any site?
Old 09-26-18, 08:07 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Were they anywhere near as late as this year?
Heh, I just jumped through the pages on this site for the past few years. It appears Specialized updates the Web Site for Crosstrails between the 3rd week of September through the 2nd week of October. Appears the upper level models are generally the last to be updated.
Old 09-26-18, 01:20 PM
CT Sean

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone know which SLX derailleur came on a 2016 Crosstrail Comp w/ 2x10 drivetrain? I don't know if it's the medium cage or long cage version - it doesn't appear to be marked anywhere. To me, it looks like the long cage version, but I'd hate to order a replacement and find i got the wrong cage

Old 09-26-18, 02:42 PM
travbikeman

Originally Posted by CT Sean
Anyone know which SLX derailleur came on a 2016 Crosstrail Comp w/ 2x10 drivetrain? I don't know if it's the medium cage or long cage version - it doesn't appear to be marked anywhere. To me, it looks like the long cage version, but I'd hate to order a replacement and find i got the wrong cage

Looks like a long cage to me. But not positive, can't seem to find comparative information on internet for the mid and long cage. Do know that mid cages are general used on 2x9's but 2x10 and 11's, not so sure.

Last edited by travbikeman; 09-26-18 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-26-18, 03:34 PM
andrei_r

Bikes: Giant FCR 3 with lots of mods, Brazilian made Caloi 100.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Sorry, I don't have the answer but may I ask what's wrong with your derailer? Severely bent? Cracked? Could it have possibly worn out in this short time?
Old 09-26-18, 03:53 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
Yes, that does look like a long cage. To be sure, it may indicate on the back. It looks like an RD-M675. It may also have a suffix to the model number: GS is mid cage and SGS is long cage. You can't go wrong ordering the long cage version -- it's okay for the cage to be longer than necessary. It's too short of a cage that you want to avoid.
Old 09-26-18, 06:05 PM
CT Sean

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andrei_r
Sorry, I don't have the answer but may I ask what's wrong with your derailer? Severely bent? Cracked? Could it have possibly worn out in this short time?
nothing wrong with it - just keep looking at M781 XT derailleurs at reasonable sale prices as a backup or replacement. Especially since mine ended up with an XT front at the factory and the inconsistency is playing havoc with my brain.
Old 09-26-18, 06:17 PM
CT Sean

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Yes, that does look like a long cage. To be sure, it may indicate on the back. It looks like an RD-M675. It may also have a suffix to the model number: GS is mid cage and SGS is long cage. You can't go wrong ordering the long cage version -- it's okay for the cage to be longer than necessary. It's too short of a cage that you want to avoid.
good info - thanks. Going by Shimano’s Website pictures is does look like a long cage. I couldn’t find a marking anywhere with the GS or SGS. The fact that a long is fine either way is all that really matters I suppose.
Old 09-26-18, 06:31 PM
andrei_r

Bikes: Giant FCR 3 with lots of mods, Brazilian made Caloi 100.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

nothing wrong with it - just keep looking at M781 XT derailleurs at reasonable sale prices as a backup or replacement. Especially since mine ended up with an XT front at the factory and the inconsistency is playing havoc with my brain.
I see... "just because" or "why not" are usually good enough reasons when it comes to bike upgrades
Old 09-26-18, 06:43 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Originally Posted by travbikeman
Heh, I just jumped through the pages on this site for the past few years. It appears Specialized updates the Web Site for Crosstrails between the 3rd week of September through the 2nd week of October. Appears the upper level models are generally the last to be updated.
Wow, that surprises me and shows me how unreliable my memory is.

I always thought that Specialized beat Trek to updating their hybrid offerings.
Old 10-03-18, 08:14 PM
deeschex

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Winter Tires/ Wheels?

Hey Folks,

Just started bike commuting on hills 20 miles round trip. Looking for a good winter tire that I can put on a second set of wheels to swap on and off the bike. Anyone have any recommendations? I've been looking into "Schwalbe Marathon Winter HS 396 Studded Road Bike Tire (700x35, Allround Wire Beaded, Reflex)" but I don't know if they'll fit on the Crosstrail. Anyone have any experience with this or some advice?

Thanks!

D
Old 10-04-18, 07:32 AM
CT Sean

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't comment on the tires themselves, but there's no reason they wouldn't fit. They are only a tiny bit narrower than the 700x38 that come stock.
Old 10-20-18, 10:17 AM
zmivce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello all. I am owner of a Crosstrail Elite Disk 2016 and i have a problem. Last year my father changed the bottom bracket and he put bottom bracket with another dimension than original. The original bottom bracket he trow in the trash. Can someone tell me what is correct dimension of the original bottom bracket for my bike?

Last edited by zmivce; 10-20-18 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-20-18, 10:25 AM
zmivce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 10-20-18, 07:00 PM
travbikeman

Originally Posted by zmivce
Hello all. I am owner of a Crosstrail Elite Disk 2016 and i have a problem. Last year my father changed the bottom bracket and he put bottom bracket with another dimension than original. The original bottom bracket he trow in the trash. Can someone tell me what is correct dimension of the original bottom bracket for my bike?
Mine was 68x118. I replaced the original with this: Shimano Square Taper
Old 11-14-18, 10:32 AM
CraigoCross

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi

Hi all,

New around here. Ive had a crosstrail gathering dust for afew years but am keen to get back out on it. It is a 2016 crosstrail expert. Matt black in colour.

I’m looking for road foing tyres to replace the triggers. I have reas through the posts. Are Schwalbe Marathon Almotion still considered to be the lightest, best road going tyre. Thanks

Old 11-14-18, 03:13 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigoCross
Hi all,

New around here. Ive had a crosstrail gathering dust for afew years but am keen to get back out on it. It is a 2016 crosstrail expert. Matt black in colour.

I’m looking for road foing tyres to replace the triggers. I have reas through the posts. Are Schwalbe Marathon Almotion still considered to be the lightest, best road going tyre. Thanks

I wouldn't be overly concerned with the weight of the tires on the Crosstrail. The tire weight is such a tiny fraction of the overall weight of the bike plus rider that it's not going to make much of a difference on this bike.

The tread pattern should be of far more concern to you. Is it the right tread for the type of riding you are doing? That will make a huge difference in ride quality.

The Triggers are a decent do everything tire that's neither the fastest on pavement nor the grippiest in loose conditions. But it will do okay in either.
Old 11-14-18, 03:55 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
I wouldn't be overly concerned with the weight of the tires on the Crosstrail. The tire weight is such a tiny fraction of the overall weight of the bike plus rider that it's not going to make much of a difference on this bike.

The tread pattern should be of far more concern to you. Is it the right tread for the type of riding you are doing? That will make a huge difference in ride quality.
Tire weight doesn't necessarily matter as far as weight goes, but heavier tires are generally also less plush (poorer ride quality) due to thicker casings and/or flat protection layers built in. I don't know why a light tire is desired in this specific case, but light usually does positively correlate with ride quality, which is why I look at the weight of tires myself.

The Schwalbe Marathon Almotion isn't necessarily light weight for its size. The 40-622 size is pretty decent (500 grams), but there are lighter tires out there (like the 42-622 Continental Speed Ride). None of the 50-622 tire sizes in the Almotion line is particularly light, either, especially for the price paid. The lightest is 675 grams, for $84 each. The Schwalbe Hurricane, also in 50-622, is 725 grams and only $29 each. It's also somewhat comparable in the 40-622 size, at 540 grams for $25, vs. 500 grams for $84 with the Almotion.

As for the ride and noise, the Marathon Almotion will have a slight buzz to it on smooth pavement (its center tread is similar to the Big Ben and Little Big Ben, which which I have personal experience). In fact, the Little Big Ben (40-622) costs $37 each (vs. $84), weighs 590 grams (vs. 500) and offers a very similar tread pattern. You may consider this tire as well. Both will have a slight buzz due to the intermittent center tread profile. The Hurricane has a completely smooth and silent roll due to its smooth center tread. I have these on my Giant Roam and I like them. Where the Marathon Almotion or Little Big Ben is smoother is in a corner. Where they have generally smooth tread patterns on their shoulders, the Hurricane has some knobs, and you can feel them if you roll the bike over far enough, or if you generally under-inflate tires (as I personally tend to do). So all three options offer different pros and cons.

The Almotions aren't the lightest, but they're definitely good tires. If you like the Schwalbe brand, and like what you get for your money with those tires, I'm sure they'll work out great.

(The Continental Speed Ride tires I mentioned earlier are only 420 grams in 42-622, and they inflate to about 38mm. Despite the larger nominal size, they'll be about the same size as the Almotions on the bike. These are folding bead tires with thin casings and no dedicated puncture protection layer, so they definitely trade durability in that area for speed and comfort. They're very comfortable tires, and available pretty inexpensively as well.)

And, Craigocross, welcome!

Last edited by hokiefyd; 11-14-18 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-14-18, 10:44 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
The Schwalbe Marathon Almotion isn't necessarily light weight for its size. The 40-622 size is pretty decent (500 grams), but there are lighter tires out there (like the 42-622 Continental Speed Ride). None of the 50-622 tire sizes in the Almotion line is particularly light, either, especially for the price paid. The lightest is 675 grams, for $84 each. The Schwalbe Hurricane, also in 50-622, is 725 grams and only $29 each. It's also somewhat comparable in the 40-622 size, at 540 grams for $25, vs. 500 grams for $84 with the Almotion.

As for the ride and noise, the Marathon Almotion will have a slight buzz to it on smooth pavement (its center tread is similar to the Big Ben and Little Big Ben, which which I have personal experience). In fact, the Little Big Ben (40-622) costs $37 each (vs. $84), weighs 590 grams (vs. 500) and offers a very similar tread pattern.

You can get the Marathon Almotion from various German e-tailers for under $40USD, perhaps as low as $35USD.

The only downside with them is that they charge a flat rate delivery fee of $20Euro, which is about $22.67USD, but if you are buying at least two tyres and then some tubes or other items which will also be a lot cheaper, then that flat rate delivery fee is proportionally less of a hit.
Old 11-15-18, 12:54 AM
CraigoCross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the very good info on the tyres. I’ll have a look into it.
Old 11-15-18, 07:52 PM
travbikeman

Another idea is the new Specialized Nimbus 2 Sport. Unsure of the weight, but it appears lighter looking than the original Nimbus Sport (which I use on my Crosstrail for paved rides) and it's 685 grams.

$30 and looks like a nice new tread pattern for the Nimbus line:

Nimbus Sport 2
Old 11-16-18, 09:25 AM
CraigoCross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone tryed Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tyres? How are they for rolling resistance coparws to the OEM triggers.

Also what mudguards are you guys using. Just looking for one for the frame to stop spray up and not full size commuter ones.

Thanks
craig
Old 11-16-18, 09:30 AM
CraigoCross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@Travbikeman
what size of nimbus do you use? 700c x 35? Also are these on the standard wheels.

thanks in advance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.