Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

I think it is too cold to ride.

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

I think it is too cold to ride.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-18, 04:00 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
got up to 52f under a very slightly cloudy sky , he said, smugly ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-03-18 at 04:01 PM. Reason: not bad out here
Old 01-03-18, 04:30 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
got up to 52f under a very slightly cloudy sky , he said, smugly ..

Where is the fun in that???
You are missing out on the pleasures of digging your pedals into the snow. ;-)
(well, it makes pretty pictures, even if the going is slow...)
Maybe I need a higher bottom bracket?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20171213_200147.jpg (172.8 KB, 124 views)
Old 01-03-18, 05:32 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Break out the old Studded tire MTB when there is black ice ,

got some street crampons carry them for trips over the coast range. & when I have to put my foot down, riding the bike.

12/21, 16, stepped out of the van onto a sheet of ice near 1600' pass on US 26, promptly fell , @ 70 I was glad i still had a fat butt.

other route 30 goes over a 600' hill down to 16' , A town, then up to 700', then back down again..
Old 01-04-18, 05:06 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
I used to have hand/feet issues. I have some mild circulation issues in my legs, so my left foot used to just get frozen after 30 minutes out in the cold.

I just don't mess around now. For feet, I have a big 800gram thinsulate heavy boot I wear with 2 pairs of socks, 1 of which is a heavyweight wool sock. For hands, I have a medium weight glove underneath ski gloves that are a size too big. Hands and feet are now nice and toasty when it's 0F. Which leads to the main issue with winter...

Gearing up is just a massive pain in the ass. It really isn't cold when you're out on the bike. It's all the other annoying things. Fogging goggles, spending 15 minutes putting on 2 pairs of socks, then my storm trooper boots, wool long johns, then pants, then wind pants, then wool t-shirt, sweater, windbreaking softshell, thin balaclava, thick fleece balaclava, goggles, helmet, 2 pairs of gloves. Deciding I have to pee and redoing everything before I get out the door. Then feeling like Ralphie from A Christmas Story while riding.

MN wasn't bad, drop a coat and leave layers on when visiting a store. In Ohio it hits 30 out side and they turn the friggen thermostats up to 78 or higher.

what's it like in Chicago?
Old 01-04-18, 07:33 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
MN wasn't bad, drop a coat and leave layers on when visiting a store. In Ohio it hits 30 out side and they turn the friggen thermostats up to 78 or higher.

what's it like in Chicago?
Honestly it’s pretty close to Minnesota. I have friends/family in the Trin Cities and have considered moving there.

MN is 5-10 degrees colder than chicago, but sunnier and less windy. So it’s kind of a wash.
Old 01-04-18, 08:40 AM
Metieval

Honestly it’s pretty close to Minnesota. I have friends/family in the Trin Cities and have considered moving there.

MN is 5-10 degrees colder than chicago, but sunnier and less windy. So it’s kind of a wash.
No I mean the people who like to turn the indoor heat up.

I mean if we are wearing a base layer , there is no reason turn the indoor heat up. When not on my bike I wear T shirts under a coat all winter, because If I wore long sleeves I'd cook indoors.
Old 01-04-18, 08:53 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

No I mean the people who like to turn the indoor heat up.

I mean if we are wearing a base layer , there is no reason turn the indoor heat up. When not on my bike I wear T shirts under a coat all winter, because If I wore long sleeves I'd cook indoors.
Oh no haha.

We have ac issues though. It will be 90 outside and 58 inside

I’ve got my thermostat at 71...but it’s pretty drafty. I’m fairly certain 90% of my house actually would measure under 70
Old 01-04-18, 10:21 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
outside? isn't that like cycling outside? meaning if you can gear up for that, how different would cycling be?
  1. If I might go down because of a patch of ice, I'd rather not damage the bike when it happens.
  2. Lower running speed means it's easier to spot things like ice patches.
  3. Lower running speed also means less apparent wind.
  4. Running is more steady than cycling, eg you won't get sweaty going up a hill and then chilled on the way down.
  5. You won't have to stop moving in the cold to deal with a flat.
  6. You never wind up as far from home, so if anything happens...
Old 01-04-18, 10:23 AM
Seattle Forrest

I used to have hand/feet issues. I have some mild circulation issues in my legs, so my left foot used to just get frozen after 30 minutes out in the cold.

I just don't mess around now. For feet, I have a big 800gram thinsulate heavy boot I wear with 2 pairs of socks, 1 of which is a heavyweight wool sock. For hands, I have a medium weight glove underneath ski gloves that are a size too big. Hands and feet are now nice and toasty when it's 0F. Which leads to the main issue with winter...

Gearing up is just a massive pain in the ass. It really isn't cold when you're out on the bike. It's all the other annoying things. Fogging goggles, spending 15 minutes putting on 2 pairs of socks, then my storm trooper boots, wool long johns, then pants, then wind pants, then wool t-shirt, sweater, windbreaking softshell, thin balaclava, thick fleece balaclava, goggles, helmet, 2 pairs of gloves. Deciding I have to pee and redoing everything before I get out the door. Then feeling like Ralphie from A Christmas Story while riding.
Alpaca socks.

45 North makes a cycling insole with aerogel, the stuff they insulate space suits with, the best insulation in the known universe.
Old 01-04-18, 10:33 AM
Abe_Froman

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
  1. If I might go down because of a patch of ice, I'd rather not damage the bike when it happens.
  2. Lower running speed means it's easier to spot things like ice patches.
  3. Lower running speed also means less apparent wind.
  4. Running is more steady than cycling, eg you won't get sweaty going up a hill and then chilled on the way down.
  5. You won't have to stop moving in the cold to deal with a flat.
  6. You never wind up as far from home, so if anything happens...
Honestly...none of that is really an issue if you go the 20 yr old rusty rigid mountain bike with studded tire route You just can’t really force hi-tech cycling into a 0F and salty snow scenario.

Go old and crappy, and a lot of the worries go away. Plus, with super heavy duty studded tires, not only are you working pretty hard to go like 12mph, you don’t have to worry about ice OR flats. I’m not concinced I could puncture my tires with a spear lol.

Besides...my legs have never been able to handle running.
Old 01-04-18, 03:09 PM
Seattle Forrest

7. Running shoes cost less and take less room to store, and are less crappy, than a crappy mountain bike.
Old 01-04-18, 03:22 PM
Metieval

7. Running shoes cost less and take less room to store, and are less crappy, than a crappy mountain bike.
^ lol

depends on where you ran.... ?
Old 01-04-18, 03:27 PM
Abe_Froman

I got my winter commuter for $25 and it has survived nearly 2 seasons of Chicago winters

Besides...I’d actually like to run in the winter, because frankly i will admit that riding just isnt exactly ‘fun’ when it’s beliw about 25. Still better than driving to work.

But the running really isnt happening with my knees/shins/ankles/it band/feet. Running has always been painful ever since I was a kid...now i’ve got some things that are real impediments.

Last edited by Abe_Froman; 01-04-18 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-04-18, 03:45 PM
Seattle Forrest

I'm not here to tell anybody they should run. I'm just answering the question of what the difference is. Running and cycling are two entirely different forms of locomotion and how you dress only scratches the surface of that difference.

However, Abe, if you ever decide you'd like to take running up, for whatever reason, it's something you have to work up to slowly, or you'll have a lot of discomfort in your knees, shins, ankles, etc. That's especially a problem for cyclists because we have the aerobic capacity to run, but our tissues aren't accustomed to the impact. Programs like "Couch to 5K" build people up slowly and safely from walk/run/walk intervals to nonstop running.
Old 01-04-18, 03:48 PM
Seattle Forrest

I just don't mess around now. For feet, I have a big 800gram thinsulate heavy boot I wear with 2 pairs of socks, 1 of which is a heavyweight wool sock.
If you ever give these a shot, I would love to hear your considered opinion of them.

Jaztronaut | 45NRTH

This is a real photo. The thing between the burner and the flower is fantastic insulation. Has the obvious potential to upturn everything, but it's hard to work with and so it's been slow to find its way into outdoor gear. Nothing we know of resists heat transfer better.

Old 01-04-18, 04:19 PM
Abe_Froman

If you ever give these a shot, I would love to hear your considered opinion of them.

Jaztronaut | 45NRTH

This is a real photo. The thing between the burner and the flower is fantastic insulation. Has the obvious potential to upturn everything, but it's hard to work with and so it's been slow to find its way into outdoor gear. Nothing we know of resists heat transfer better.

Hrmm interesting. It seems like a more elegant solution to the MTB inner tube I cut up and put under the insoles of my cycling shoes.

I’ll be honest though...I dont think cycle cleats are a good idea when you’re looking at temps around zero. I want to be able to get a foot down when theres snow and ice on the ground...especially in traffic. Also, you’d have to have unvented winter specific cycling shoes as well for it to even be an option.

I may give running another shot. It’s probably been a decade lol I do tend to just jump into things and do way too much too soon. It took 3 seasons of serious riding before I forced myself to ease into things and avoid overuse injuries. Now i’m committed to just riding year round so I dont have to worry about it.

Last edited by Abe_Froman; 01-04-18 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-04-18, 04:24 PM
Seattle Forrest

I really don't know. For me, the tops of my shoulders can be cold, and I'll suffer, even if I'm sitting on a heater. On the other hand, if my feet are too warm, I'll overheat even if I'm naked. I can't wear those shoe covers, they're too warm, they don't breathe enough, I break out in sweat, then I get chilled. I'd like to see this stuff built into sleeping pads, tent walls, stuff like that. In the past the stuff has been too brittle to make into clothing, but that's starting to change, and I'm fascinated watching it evolve. Someday this will make the best down jackets seem hopelessly cold and heavy.
Old 01-04-18, 05:04 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Indeed, so very cold and windy and snowy here in NJ.....I have not been able to ride for weeks.
Old 01-08-18, 12:12 PM
dueWest

Bikes: Huffy Superia (US made), 2018 Giant Roam 3 Disc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts
Not used to the low 20s and windchills in the single digits here in TN. Normally, I don't ride below 55*F. I bought a new bike and have been dying to ride. I picked up cool weather gloves and a balaclava that were discounted at the LBS when I picked up my Roam 3. I've found that thermal shirt/long sleeve heavy polo, and a performance fleece type jacket is sufficient for the top, while thermals and heavy twill pants work for the bottom. Insulated work boots and the gloves/mask make for a nice ride for 30-45 minutes. Core stays warm, so my hands last much longer. Yesterday, my fingers started to get cool at around 30 minutes out. I was sweating on my back and chest.
Old 01-08-18, 12:19 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
there is another side to this, the money spent on winter gear/maintenance would easily buy someone a new bike A REALLY nice new bike come spring.
Otoh...spring is 3 to 5 months away if you live anywhere that Winter is a physical thing. Long time to be stuck with cabin fever.

Commuted in myself this morning. Killed an RD in another WTF and made a 31 spoke wheel but it was almost worth the swearing the aforesaid brought on
Old 01-08-18, 12:26 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Oh no haha.

We have ac issues though. It will be 90 outside and 58 inside

I’ve got my thermostat at 71...but it’s pretty drafty. I’m fairly certain 90% of my house actually would measure under 70
Wut? 71??? 66/60 all the way, here on the WI/MN border. It used to be 64/55, but I got too many complaints. And yes, my energy bills are about the same in January and August due to the AC. We get a lot colder than Chicago, and still have quite a bit of wind, but without lake gloom there's HOT SUN throughout the winter!

More on topic, I concur that it's a pain to spend a half hour getting all geared up to ride in the winter...but still worth it. I've given up on proper cycling shoes while there's snow on the ground, instead going with winter boots and platforms with straps.
Old 01-08-18, 12:41 PM
Abe_Froman

Originally Posted by wipekitty
Wut? 71??? 66/60 all the way, here on the WI/MN border. It used to be 64/55, but I got too many complaints. And yes, my energy bills are about the same in January and August due to the AC. We get a lot colder than Chicago, and still have quite a bit of wind, but without lake gloom there's HOT SUN throughout the winter!

More on topic, I concur that it's a pain to spend a half hour getting all geared up to ride in the winter...but still worth it. I've given up on proper cycling shoes while there's snow on the ground, instead going with winter boots and platforms with straps.
Jesus 55 inside?

I actually got out a thermometer. It was 68 in my kitchen. That's what I would call 'normal.'
Old 01-08-18, 03:29 PM
RayLee

Bikes: YT Izzo, Privateer 161, Carbonda 696, Mason InSearchOf, cheap SC High Ball knock off

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
been able to sneak out on the mountain bike/slow single track but just too cold in the wind on the gravel bike on roads and dirt roads... Now I wish I had an old beater bike because its 40-45 degrees the next few days but the salt sludge makes me a little uneasy on the decent bikes.
Old 01-09-18, 07:41 PM
Seattle Forrest

Here in Seattle it's 43 F and raining.

Oh, and dark, because the sun sets before 4:30 still.
Old 01-10-18, 09:20 AM
bcpriess

Bikes: Masi Giramondo, Trek 830 monstercross build, Raleigh Gran Sport, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Hrmm interesting. It seems like a more elegant solution to the MTB inner tube I cut up and put under the insoles of my cycling shoes.

I’ll be honest though...I dont think cycle cleats are a good idea when you’re looking at temps around zero. I want to be able to get a foot down when theres snow and ice on the ground...especially in traffic. Also, you’d have to have unvented winter specific cycling shoes as well for it to even be an option.

I may give running another shot. It’s probably been a decade lol I do tend to just jump into things and do way too much too soon. It took 3 seasons of serious riding before I forced myself to ease into things and avoid overuse injuries. Now i’m committed to just riding year round so I dont have to worry about it.

I've actually handled a sample of that material - Aerogel - and it is extremely brittle to the point that you can almost crush it by touching or brushing against it, and extremely expensive per unit of spatial volume. I'm sure it has applications in the sciences, but as far as consumer products, it is very far from being useful for commercialization.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.