Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

2019 Salsa Marrakesh.

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

2019 Salsa Marrakesh.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-18, 09:02 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
Curved vs straight fork argument will become moot after a major US bike maker produces a drop-bar version of Euro aluminum frame/suspension fork bikes. For same weight as trad steel one gets better handling/comfort/safety. Suspension fork also allows one to use narrower faster tires. Susp fork can be adjusted for rider weight while hard forks are an inherent compromise.
Got pics of what you are talking about?

It sounds like bikes from the 90s by Schwinn and Cannondale. The '98 SchwinnCircuit had a RockShox Ruby fork.
is this what you mean?
Old 09-27-18, 09:57 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Got pics of what you are talking about?

It sounds like bikes from the 90s by Schwinn and Cannondale. The '98 SchwinnCircuit had a RockShox Ruby fork.
is this what you mean?
I was thinking more of a drop-bar version of bike like Kalkhoff Endeavour Pro. BTW today on 50mm-tire Disc Trucker in the rain I ran over a small invisible pothole & wow, one hand almost came off the handlebar. Susp fork would have absorbed that w/o panic. Susp fork can cruise faster over bumpier sections & is esp safer IMO on descents where roads/paths are often the roughest.

Old 11-02-18, 05:13 PM
1-track-mind

Bikes: 92 Bridgestone xo-2 Turner Sultan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think this tread drifted a bit, but can someone comment about the overall performance of the bike other than the saddle and front fork.
One dimensional ? Heavy ?

Last edited by 1-track-mind; 11-02-18 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-04-18, 10:40 PM
AlanK

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 1-track-mind
I think this tread drifted a bit, but can someone comment about the overall performance of the bike other than the saddle and front fork.
One dimensional ? Heavy ?
Funny how that happens isn't it?

The Marrakesh is great as a dedicated all-road touring bike. I don't know if one-dimensional is an apt description, but it's probably not a good option as an all-arounder because it's pretty heavy and isn't very nimble. The sliding drop-out enable a variable wheel-base, so it can be made more nimble. The bottom-bracket is low like most dedicated touring bikes. This makes it more stable while loaded, though there isn't much clearance.

The Marrakesh would probably be one of my top considerations if I only wanted a dedicated touring bike, but there are other touring bikes that work better as all-around bikes like the Kona Sutra.
Old 11-05-18, 10:58 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
Susp fork can cruise faster over bumpier sections & is esp safer IMO on descents where roads/paths are often the roughest.
This I agree with, but how does a suspension fork compare with a rigid when putting watts to the pavement?
Old 11-05-18, 11:05 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
10+ # x2 in the front panniers dampens things significantly,
as the mass resists moving with every bump..

several have been arriving at the coast after trans continental tours

Maxway does good work building for QBP and other brand importers,
to their design needs.. , in quantity..

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-05-18 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-06-18, 12:04 AM
DropBarFan

Originally Posted by NoControl
This I agree with, but how does a suspension fork compare with a rigid when putting watts to the pavement?
I've only ridden a cheapo non-adjustable susp fork which bobs a bit climbing off-saddle but it's not too bothersome on the short rides I use that bike for. For touring one could always use the lockout for long climbs.
Old 11-06-18, 06:27 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3460 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
This is the touring forum.

My touring bikes with curved forks have very stiff forks that I am sure offer almost no cushioning. But my vintage Columbus Tubing bike or my (much newer) rando bike that have lighter weight forks with a small radius bend at the base of the fork blade I am sure offer much more cushioning. For clarification here, I am only comparing rim brake forks made of steel, thus it is closer to an apples to apples comparison.

Plus of course, touring bikes usually have fatter lower pressure tires.

Thus, the discussion of shock absorption of a front fork really needs to factor in if the bike is designed for loaded touring or light weight unladen road riding with skinny tires.
Old 11-06-18, 08:50 AM
DIY masochist

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, 1977 Motobecane Super Mirage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was at a friend's house the other day, and his roommate had a Salsa Marrakesh. I was checking it out, and I noticed it had removable plates bolted onto the frame for the dropouts and derailleur hanger. I'm kicking myself for buying a Disc Trucker now because it makes me paranoid to think that a trashed derailleur hanger could be the end of my $2000 bike. I researched a little bit before I bought it, but everything I read said there was no such thing as a steel frame with a replaceable derailleur hanger, so I bit the bullet. It's a shame because the 2016 black and gold Marrakesh is such a beautiful bike (or did they add the alternator drops later?)

Old 11-06-18, 10:49 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3460 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by DIY masochist
I was at a friend's house the other day, and his roommate had a Salsa Marrakesh. I was checking it out, and I noticed it had removable plates bolted onto the frame for the dropouts and derailleur hanger. I'm kicking myself for buying a Disc Trucker now because it makes me paranoid to think that a trashed derailleur hanger could be the end of my $2000 bike. I researched a little bit before I bought it, but everything I read said there was no such thing as a steel frame with a replaceable derailleur hanger, so I bit the bullet. It's a shame because the 2016 black and gold Marrakesh is such a beautiful bike (or did they add the alternator drops later?)
Don't worry about it. Steel frames and the hangers on them are pretty robust. While you could bend it if you did something really bad, it is unlikely to break. And if you bent it, a good shop should have an alignment tool that they can thread into it to straighten it.

I have several steel bikes, one Aluminum bike and one Titanium bike. The only bikes I have with replaceable hangers are the Aluminum and Titanium ones. I have never seen a steel bike with a replaceable hanger unless it was one that had replaceable dropouts that could be changed for other purposes, like a derailleur dropout that could be removed to install an internally geared hub dropout, etc.
Old 11-07-18, 02:56 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
There are plenty of steel bikes with replaceable hangers. My Advocate Sand County has one. I’ve seen others, and I’m sure there are many that I haven’t seen. In any case, I don’t really see a mangled hanger on a touring bike as a likely issue. As mentioned, if it gets bent slightly, they can be bent back. The only thing I that would really screw one up is if you ruined the threads, but that’s a pretty big hole with decent threads, so that’s unlikely too.
Old 11-07-18, 03:16 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
At worst, the frame would be ruined, so it isnt a $2000 loss.
also, there are ways around a broken hanger.

but the odds of breaking a steel hanger are so minimal it isnt even worth using as a consideration between bikes.
Old 11-09-18, 08:57 PM
DropBarFan

I bought a Disc Trucker & had the frame powder-coated & I cross-threaded when attaching the rear derailleur despite not using large force. Luckily the inner half of threads was intact. Lesson is always use a thread-cleaner tool on frame eyelets. Anyway a removable rear dropout is a nice feature which can allow using belt-drive & Rohloff IGH.