Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek DS owners thread

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek DS owners thread

Old 09-09-14, 03:50 AM
Trek 85 DS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi again, I just posted this thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bic...l#post17113729
I hope I will get some input and hopefully a few images. Thank you!
Old 09-13-14, 07:15 PM
korbjonathan

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunsanvil
Anyone had problems with their ergo grips? One of mine has a bit of play to it and I cant figure it out. The outer metal clamp is snug but the grip itself can easily be "rolled" a couple degrees. I know it doesnt sound like a big deal but when you are riding it it annoying as heck. The other side is absolutely solid.
the grip more than likely is not put on the handlebar correctly...
Old 09-13-14, 07:16 PM
korbjonathan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
try loosening up the shifters and the brake levers and moving them inword so you can move the grip in more and tighten the clamp down more seems like a lot of work but the clamp on the end of the grip is not on the bar all the way
Old 09-13-14, 07:18 PM
korbjonathan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
also i'm glad to see people who purchased the ds series are using them and enjoying them. we dont have a huge market up here. market is more on the verve wagon. but i really do enjoy the ds series and there full potential
Old 09-19-14, 06:14 AM
agentfox1942

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Latest Recall info: now the ETA on the forks is mid-October. Crazy way to run a business. To top it all off, the LBS I purchased my DS from has closed. The owner swore he'd be around to cover all warranties (granted this started in July/Aug time frame). It took me a month to track him down and find out when he is going to do it. He said he was told November and that's too late for his plans. I called Josh at Trek Support and he said no it is on track for Oct 9. I haven't been able to ride since early August. The drama continues.

BTW, I'm looking for new grips and a fender. Any suggestions??
Old 09-22-14, 04:27 PM
Donlaw

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Frame resonance with 2015 DS 8.6

Purchased a 2015 DS 8.6 about 6 weeks ago. It is a great ride. Like the lock/out fork, brakes, seat, and overall handling. Comfortable all around bike for trail or pavement, just as advertised. Sharp silver finish. But, I had a problem with the bike frame's hollow top tube resonating a metallic 'chain' sound in certain gears.
With the front gear on the largest sprocket, I could only use the smallest two rear sprockets. As soon as I shifted to the third rear or above, I would hear the sound. LBS replace the tires, chain, rear cassette, and hubs and it made no difference. I found that when I was hearing the noise, I could put my hand around the top tube and deaden or muffle the sound! It was gear system sound resonating into the frame. With a bit of persistence my LBS was very helpful and switched out the bike for another 8.6. New bike picked up this week has no sound problems! Yea!
Worked out great. But it makes me wonder about the specification tolerances Trek has on their frames.
Hopefully it was just a slightly off frame and not a bigger problem.
Old 09-24-14, 02:09 PM
Funduro

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 2015 Specialized Crosstrail Elite Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The one thing that I find very unique and yes I like about your bike, is the red color on several alloy items. Also the forks have a slight gold color. Newer model years stop having them. This bike model, 2015 version, is very high on my list, in top two when buy soon. Ride safe.
Old 09-24-14, 02:55 PM
intransit1217

Bikes: 2 Masi giramondo

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
https://imageshack.com/i/pc7rrwtrj
They gave me 100 off 700 for my '13 ds 8.4 (I shoulda kept the rockhopper)
https://imageshack.com/i/f0CrUTPij
They came today !
https://imageshack.com/i/ipXdTKh3j
It just happened to match.
https://imageshack.com/i/paPVD1gkj
Here she is. Mah main squeeze.
https://imageshack.com/i/kqcohUGMj
Where the magic happens.
Old 10-07-14, 04:06 PM
romy70

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just talked to Jason at the Trek recall hotline. (800) 373-4594, and he told me the next batch of forks they are receiving from Suntour will include matte painted ones for the bicycles that are matte painted now. He told me once my LBS received the fork from Trek, if it isn't matte black, to call the Trek recall hotline again, and they would speak with my LBS about getting a matte painted fork to put on my bike. It might take a little longer, but at least it'll look it's supposed to be on the bike. I'll post again when I get any more info. I'll post pics when I get the matte black fork installed on my Trek 8.6 DS...
Old 10-07-14, 04:08 PM
romy70

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you can take your bike to any Trek certified LBS to get the recall repair done.
Old 10-10-14, 08:41 AM
wtliao

Bikes: 2014 Trek DS 8.4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 2014 DS 8.4 @ Capital Crescent Trail / Georgetown Branch Trail

Old 10-10-14, 08:53 AM
intransit1217

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I flatted out on mine yesterday. And now i have two bad rear wheels to boot. And I'm broke. suck.
Old 10-10-14, 09:40 AM
intransit1217

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
But wait ! I found a link that showed me how to slime my presta. (oh stop that). So I tried it and lo ! It seems to have worked. I reinstalled the tube, pressurized, seated, and put the wheel back in the dropouts, spun it.....and it's not out of round. Sweeet ! Just the flat was rubbing on the frame as i walked it home. Test rode, felt fine. Now we see if it holds under pressure. I slimed, inflated, and hung the tube in a manner that put the slime at the hole over night. It was still pudgy this morning.
Old 10-10-14, 07:25 PM
ROB DS

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for sharing, the bike looks great and the trail sounds amazing. This is a link with some info on this trail.Profile of the Capital Crescent Trail
Old 10-10-14, 10:00 PM
wtliao

Bikes: 2014 Trek DS 8.4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ROB DS
Thanks for sharing, the bike looks great and the trail sounds amazing. This is a link with some info on this trail.Profile of the Capital Crescent Trail
Thanks and good info Rob. The last 3 miles Georgwtown Branch Trail is gravel/crushed stone. It was a little bit slippery so I can't ride as fast as on paved road. The 700x38 tire handles gravel/crush stone well. However my friend's MTB was faster than mine on this section. It was so bumpy so I had to unlock the fork.
Old 10-11-14, 04:48 PM
gjmen003

Bikes: 02 Klein Att SS, 02 Klein Att MTB, 15 Trek DS 8.6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to DS Forum

Hey everyone, just wanted to introduce myself, cyclist out of Cleveland Ohio. Picked up a 2015 DS 8.6 Labor Day weekend. I am loving this bike. Everything but the forks. I just cant seem to get them as stiff as I would like. Is there a trick or mod to get them a little stiffer? If not I may need to replace them. Has anyone have any experience with the Rock Shox Paragon solo air? Thank you. keep your wheels spinnin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DS8.6L.jpg (94.5 KB, 463 views)
File Type: jpg
DS8.6R.jpg (95.7 KB, 451 views)
Old 10-11-14, 10:12 PM
Donlaw

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gjmen003
Hey everyone, just wanted to introduce myself, cyclist out of Cleveland Ohio. Picked up a 2015 DS 8.6 Labor Day weekend. I am loving this bike. Everything but the forks. I just cant seem to get them as stiff as I would like. Is there a trick or mod to get them a little stiffer? If not I may need to replace them. Has anyone have any experience with the Rock Shox Paragon solo air? Thank you. keep your wheels spinnin.
Got the same bike and love it now after the exchange I wrote about above. I like the shock action on mine. Have you asked your LBS about making the fork stiffer?
Old 10-14-14, 03:56 PM
gjmen003

Bikes: 02 Klein Att SS, 02 Klein Att MTB, 15 Trek DS 8.6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Donlaw
Got the same bike and love it now after the exchange I wrote about above. I like the shock action on mine. Have you asked your LBS about making the fork stiffer?
Yes, unfortunately they said that was as stiff as it would go. Hopefully some will post their input on the Rock Shox Paragon. I would hate to buy it without checking it out first. Thx
Old 10-15-14, 11:30 AM
agentfox1942

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally got my new RTS forks. Matte white, remote lockout. Look and ride pretty good. I don't think the lockout is 100% solid like the old forks, a small amount of give with them, but all in all, I'm pleased. Just took three months.
Old 10-19-14, 04:48 PM
ROB DS

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TIRE INFO

I would appreciate some knowledgeable riders or shop owners giving me feedback/thoughts on tires. I'm really interested in someone's experience with Aramid fiber bead tires. I presently have Bontrager LT3 700c on my 2013 8.4 DS and they (back tires) will typically last about 1200-1400 miles (5 months) or so for my road/asphalt hill riding. I notice that Bontrager offers the same 700 x 38C with an Aramid bead. I really like the feel of my Bontrager/wire bead tires but this newbie would like to know all the options.

1. How many more miles/percentage if any (0%,10%,25%,50%..etc) with Aramid.
2. Any compatibility/mounting issues with my original wheels.
3. Can I still use a Tuffy Liner with Aramid.
4. Ride (feel) comparison.
5. Any other info, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any info, sorry if this topic was covered in an earlier post.

Last edited by ROB DS; 10-19-14 at 11:39 PM. Reason: format puter spacing issues
Old 11-09-14, 06:46 PM
Hennigm4

Bikes: Trek 8.4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello! Just picked up a 2014 8.4 from LBS for 700$, originally 899, but I kept staring at it and they felt sorry for me... 5'11" , ended up with the 19.5 frame. Anyhow its been about 10 years since I have ridden, still have my Raleigh C 500, I was looking for something to ride on the C&O canal , which is gravel and do the B&O trail from Leesburg to Purcelville, which is paved. Ridden it twice so far, making small adjustments here and there, think the bar grips might be a good investment, switched my seats , so I have the nice comfy seat from the C-500. Average speed has been 9mph...the C-500 was clocking 14 as an average, but 10 years can take a toll on us. Still on the fence with it, I like the additional gearing , disc brakes and the fork lock out feature. Ordered a Garmin GPS for it, Gloves and glasses, eyes start watering really bad in the colder weather. Time will tell, I'm going to force myself to like it... Look forward to reading the forum for more pointers and advice.

Mike
Old 11-10-14, 06:07 AM
manc

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone know the weight of the Bontrager LT3 expert Aramid bead tyre. And also its amount of puncture protection. Can't find spec anywhere online.
Was thinking of changing them for Conti Gator-hardshell 700x32 unless the LT3 Expert spec looks better.
Old 12-29-14, 08:46 AM
Sparky135

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on this tread after just joining.

I'm in the market for a new hybrid bike and have been looking at the Trek 8.4 DS. Does anyone have any opinions about this bike or can you recommend an alternative. I'll be doing my riding mostly on paved roads and paths as well as light trails. I'm 6' tall and around 210 lbs.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-29-14, 09:26 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 484 Posts
Originally Posted by ROB DS
TIRE INFO

I would appreciate some knowledgeable riders or shop owners giving me feedback/thoughts on tires. I'm really interested in someone's experience with Aramid fiber bead tires. I presently have Bontrager LT3 700c on my 2013 8.4 DS and they (back tires) will typically last about 1200-1400 miles (5 months) or so for my road/asphalt hill riding. I notice that Bontrager offers the same 700 x 38C with an Aramid bead. I really like the feel of my Bontrager/wire bead tires but this newbie would like to know all the options.

1. How many more miles/percentage if any (0%,10%,25%,50%..etc) with Aramid.
2. Any compatibility/mounting issues with my original wheels.
3. Can I still use a Tuffy Liner with Aramid.
4. Ride (feel) comparison.
5. Any other info, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any info, sorry if this topic was covered in an earlier post.
Cheap tires use steel wires as a bead. Kevlar or Aramid beads are lighter and allow tires to be folded. The cheapest upgrade to make to any stock bike is to purchase foldable tires when replacing OEM tires for a very quick, yet substantial weight saving.
Old 12-29-14, 12:59 PM
woodyman4916

Bikes: 2015 Trek DS 8.3, 2015 Trek Domane 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sparky135
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on this tread after just joining.

I'm in the market for a new hybrid bike and have been looking at the Trek 8.4 DS. Does anyone have any opinions about this bike or can you recommend an alternative. I'll be doing my riding mostly on paved roads and paths as well as light trails. I'm 6' tall and around 210 lbs.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.
I have the DS 8.3. I love it and would love it even more with the hydraulic brakes on the 8.4. Big downside is climbing. It's a mother to go up hills. If you only do very occasional light trails you might want an FX. Without the suspension fork the FX is lighter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.