Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2011 Goals

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-10, 09:10 AM
johnybutts

Bikes: Type of horse.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2011 Goals

Goals for 2011. Probably a bit early since my season isn't even over yet, but this helps motivate me even for my last couple races this year. Maybe there's already a 2011 goals thread, but I didn't find it.

Power and Weight:
#1 Maintain 160-165 lbs - Will be really skinny for me I think. Currently 172-178, but was ~170 during my peak form.
#2 Bump FTP to 320W or ~4.3W/kg (peak this season was 300 or 3.9W/kg)

Specific Races:
#3 Win State Crit Championship and Houston Grand Crit
#4 Ensure teammates win Fayetteville SR and Tunis Roubaix.
#5 Top10 overall Fayetteville SR.

Upgrading:
#5 Earn a cat2 upgrade.

Miscellaneous:
#6 This season I lost all motivation over the summer stopped riding completely and lost a LOT of fitness. Goal for 2011 is to take a break through the summer, but maintain fitness with limited intervals and crit racing.
#7 Get a LOT better at cornering - I think this is one of biggest weaknesses in crits.
#8 Help build a really competitive and deep cat3 team for NWCC - both recruiting new members and helping current members upgrade to the 3s.
#9 Maintain ~150-200 miles per weekend over the off-season.
#10 Enjoy the process

For reference: 2010 goals:

#1 Earn at least half the required points for a 3 upgrade.
#2 Top 3 a non-weekly race.
#3 Improve sprinting
#4 slim down to 170
#5 Improve cornering

I went from 270 FTP @180 lbs to 300 @170lbs. Won a couple races, got my 3 upgrade. I DIDN'T work on cornering at all, but did improve my sprint dramatically.
Old 09-15-10, 09:18 AM
badhat
impressive member

Bikes: c'dale supersix, jamis trilogy, spec. tricross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
my specific goals are still percolating and i probably wont write anything down concretely till later but generally: i wanna do the same thing in Cat 3 next year that i did in 4 this year, which is to say - top 10 all my stage races and state championships.

i screwed up the crit championship this year, and proved a mediocre crit rider in general so i'm planning on putting in some crit practice and training crits.

i raced at about 163-165 this year which was my lowest weight in several years but i would like to race sub 160 next year, so managing my winter weight gain is a big priority. team i'm probably joining for next year is restructuring pretty extensively this winter, so i really hope to get in a lot of winter and early season bro-time and get a team vibe going. if we end up having some serious potential cat 3 race winners who show up regularly, i have a lot to offer them and i'd love to get a good strong team vibe goin'.

Last edited by badhat; 09-15-10 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-15-10, 09:54 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by badhat
my specific goals are still percolating and i probably wont write anything down concretely till later
ditto, and ditto on "but generally"...

2011:
- Get to 1995-7 weight (145-148, maybe less - I was 133 at one point in that time period). Currently 160, was 158 most of year (1999-2000 weight).
- See if I can't do anything as a Cat 2 without cheating and going into a Masters race. I mean, yeah, I'll cheat and do Masters, but I want to do some "real" Cat 2 crits (P12, 2, etc). This will be a lesson in humility.
- Try track more

2010 recap:
- Recover from accident (check).
- Lose weight, 10 lbs (check, lost ~30 lbs depending on "before" measurement time).
- Goal: Win Bethel Spring Series (check).
- Goal: Win CT Crit Champs for 3s (no).
- Teamwork stuff (check).
- Custom fit frame (check).
- Helmet cam more (check).
- One project, unnamed (working on it)
- HED wheel migration (check).
- Track (no).

Bonus 2010:
- upgrade to Cat 2
- A new project, unnamed, working on it.

Okay, that's about it for percolation. lol.

cdr
Old 09-15-10, 09:59 AM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
short term? drop lbs. i want to compete more in West Va RRs next year, which means i need to increase w/kg. i think the w has been maximized by my ability, so the only way to up my game is to decrease the kg.
Old 09-15-10, 10:00 AM
WCroadie

Bikes: 2010 Trek Madone 5.5 CAAD9

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1. Get back to my ideal race weight - 164, I am 172 now and was about 170 most of the year. (Diet starts today)
2. Get better at going uphill, just got a coach and that is a big goal of mine.
3. Do a stage race up north, like Syracuse or Fitchburg if that happens.
4. Get a track bike and try the track.
Old 09-15-10, 10:03 AM
Blackdays
Boom.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Going to the collegiate nationals would make me happy.
Old 09-15-10, 10:26 AM
El Diablo Rojo
Banned.

Bikes: Ridley Noah-Scott Addict-Orbea Ordu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just to build off of this season really. 2010 was the first year that I've stayed healthy since I started racing 3.5 years ago. My UC has remained under control and I've seen results on the bike because of that. I'm hoping that in 2011 the trend will continue..if so my only goal will be to win. My weight is spot on...my power is decent (I guess I could add that as a goal to up my FTP) my race craft is improving (I think this is just an ongoing part of racing) so the only thing left is to start winning races.
Old 09-15-10, 10:29 AM
johnybutts

Bikes: Type of horse.

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by El Diablo Rojo
Just to build off of this season really. 2010 was the first year that I've stayed healthy since I started racing 3.5 years ago. My UC has remained under control and I've seen results on the bike because of that. I'm hoping that in 2011 the trend will continue..if so my only goal will be to win. My weight is spot on...my power is decent (I guess I could add that as a goal to up my FTP) my race craft is improving (I think this is just an ongoing part of racing) so the only thing left is to start winning races.
Oh come on.... There isn't a specific race you want to do well in, show off for your family? Win Tour of Austin next year?
Old 09-15-10, 10:31 AM
Apus^2

Bikes: 2000 Cannondale CAAD3 Triple 105/Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Enter a race
Get FTP back up to 355+
Get weight back down to 170
380 watt 20 minute interval (which means I need an ftp ~ 360)
Don't crash
No surgeries

edited 20' wattage. my 2012 goal will be a 400.

Last edited by Apus^2; 09-20-10 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Too Optimistic.
Old 09-15-10, 10:32 AM
Keir

Bikes: Giant Defy 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2011 will be my first year of racing and I hope to...

- Compete in at least 15 Cat 5 races and upgrade to Cat 4 (or 3, but that's probably pushing it)
- Actually COMPETE in these races and not be just some guy in the middle of the pack
- Gain lots of experience and maybe join a team
- Cut down from 164 pounds to 158-160

Overall though I just want to have fun and learn. Hopefully in a few years by the time I'm 25 I'll be up there with the big guys in the Cat 1/2 races.
Old 09-15-10, 10:33 AM
El Diablo Rojo
Banned.

Bikes: Ridley Noah-Scott Addict-Orbea Ordu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by johnybutts
Oh come on.... There isn't a specific race you want to do well in, show off for your family? Win Tour of Austin next year?
I pretty much race all the big races in and around Austin (which is the majority of the races) so any (or all )of those would be just fine. But if I had to pick one that isn't a State Champ race I'd pick Ft Davis. One thing that will be different next year, and this isn't a goal, will be the number of skill based races I do. 2010 I just wanted to get my upgrade so it's all I did leading up to Ft Davis. 2011 will be almost exclusively masters stuff. WR will be on our masters team next year so there will be little need to do any skill based races.
Old 09-15-10, 10:47 AM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
2010's not over yet. But here's my stated goals for next year.

1. Have fun.
2. Take some hardware home again in the state TT.
3. Have fun.
Old 09-15-10, 10:57 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 431 Posts
My goals are to upgrade to a 3 and I'd like to get my weight under 160.

I got my cat 4 upgrade early this year, then crashed in my first 3/4 road race. After that, things kind of went south, and I ended my season early.

As for the weight, I crossed the 160 line as a freshman in college - going from 155 to almost 190. I got down to 154 about four years ago, but things have inched back up and I tend to hover in the upper 160s.

And one of these days, I'd like to get back to Ft. Davis. I did that race in 08 and got completely killed. Now that I no longer live in Texas, though, it's not really in the plan.
Old 09-15-10, 11:09 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
For 2011 I'd like to learn how to TT, keep weight around 150#, and raise FTP above 300w (current estimate). No rush to get into the 2's, I think I'll leave that for 2012.

For 2010 I wanted to win my "A" race (Ballard crit, done), upgrade to the 3's (done), and have lots of fun (done). Even ended up with a few points towards the 2's, way more than I expected for the year.

my race videos
Old 09-15-10, 11:11 AM
BigSean

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First and foremost is to get healthy for a change. Was off the bike for over a year, then 6 weeks back and I get a pinched nerve in my neck(bed ridden for the past 4 weeks). Now Im slowly getting better, my main goal after all this frustration is really to stay healthy. Id like to get back to racing and cat up to join my teammates. Part of getting healthy was changing careers so my back would not be so stressed daily(auto mechanic).
Old 09-15-10, 11:15 AM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm working hard at not doing a lot of "bike stuff" at the moment, but while still simmering on the ideas, this is what I've discussed with some team mates.

1) Make a reasonable training plan and stick to it. (Get to know more about what methods of training my body responds to favorably)
2) Win my way out of the CAT4s and score points as a 3.
3) Do a whole slew of stage races - I'm thinking 6 or more? (Frozen Flatlands, WallaWalla, Cascade, Elkhorn, Enumclaw, Wenatchee, Mt. Hood... maybe some others?) I realized this last year that I love stage races, and having found some like-minded team mates, we are going to go into this with a firm focus)
4) Re-learn how to TT like a fiend (this may be a multi-year process)
5) Race early season, take a lot of the 'crit' season off, come back and race late season stage races/circuit races/cross
6) Don't burn out.

I just moved into a new apartment building, and found out that one of my neighbors is the dominant master's cat1/2 racer in the area... It also turns out that he is cool and wants to help me with my training.
I won't have much training time this winter, (avg 8 hours a week?), but my neighbor says that he trains 6-9 very focused hours a week and he wins basically everything around here, especially stage races... so there are the preliminary thoughts.
Old 09-15-10, 11:19 AM
spinwax

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine are really basic.

Win lots!

Have a good time doing it.
Old 09-15-10, 11:37 AM
esammuli
Glimmers of form

Bikes: Cannondale SystemSix 3, Specialized Stumpjumper M4 Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spinwax
Mine are really basic.

Win lots!

Have a good time doing it.
Does that mean your knee is in good enough shape to race?
Old 09-15-10, 11:41 AM
BrainInAJar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My only real goal is a top 5 finish (because that's how deep points are awarded) at the Yaletown Grand Prix crit on Canada Day.

It's the first race I ever watched 2 years ago & pretty much the reason I started racing bikes. It's my first year racing this year and in July I was still in pretty poor shape so I didn't enter, so I want to give it a shot next year.

I'd also like to pick up half my upgrade points to move in to 3, because 3's can race with anyone. ( As a side note, anyone happen to know if CyclingBC points expire? )
Old 09-15-10, 11:42 AM
aggro_jo
sittin' in

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3W/kg.
win a prim.
contribute for my team.
Old 09-15-10, 11:43 AM
spinwax

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by esammuli
Does that mean your knee is in good enough shape to race?
Both knees. Looking that way. Finally got a new doctor and he put in for an MRI. 2 other doctors (without MRIs) told me I had tendonosis. Come to find out I have osteoarthritis in both joints. They are trying to push though a synthetic synovial fluid shot calld Euflexxa. Looks promising. I have heard lots of good stuff about it. Honestly, I have been training every day now. Just riding through the pain. I am doing well.

Actually, I will add one more goal. My wife is riding a ton and she wants to race next yr. So the first few races of the season will be dedicated to helping her. Can't wait!!!

Last edited by spinwax; 09-15-10 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-15-10, 12:13 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Apus^2
Enter a race
Get FTP back up to 355+
Get weight back down to 170
400 watt 20 minute interval (which means I need an ftp ~ 380)
Don't crash
No surgeries
amen to that. my form has been totally off since i crashed hard back in June. Along with a few teeth, i believe i left my FTP out on that course, too.

as for goals

Weight
-Get to 150lbs from 160 lbs

Skills/capabilities
-Improve climbing (losing weight will help)
-Continue to get better with cornering
-Improve my jump & sprinting abilities
-Learn how to minimize injuries should i crash...

Racing
-Accumulate upgrade points for cat 3
-Do well in Prospect Park & Central Park races
Old 09-15-10, 12:30 PM
jrennie
Race to train

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Healthy knees and good training to set up as well as I can for 2011 masters natz.
Old 09-15-10, 12:36 PM
gbot
recovering triathlete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BrainInAJar
My only real goal is a top 5 finish (because that's how deep points are awarded) at the Yaletown Grand Prix crit on Canada Day.

It's the first race I ever watched 2 years ago & pretty much the reason I started racing bikes. It's my first year racing this year and in July I was still in pretty poor shape so I didn't enter, so I want to give it a shot next year.

I'd also like to pick up half my upgrade points to move in to 3, because 3's can race with anyone. ( As a side note, anyone happen to know if CyclingBC points expire? )
Might jump into Yaletown next year too. It's a bit of a hairy course (don't know if you watched this year but there were a LOT of crashes) but looks fun. I don't think CyclingBC points expire. But not 100% sure on that. I assume that they are the same as UCI points.

My goals:

-Bump FTP by 20+ over the winter
-Get to the track a bunch over the winter
-Win or at least top 5 at both of the big RR's in my area - both have separate Cat4 races and are my best chance at upgrade points
-Win or top 5 at both of the big hill climbs - my climbing improved a lot this year and I realized I actually might have some potential in that area if I actually train it properly
-Upgrade to Cat 3 and race the Whistler Gran Fondo 'Giro' 1/2/3 race
-Help my club once again dominate the local thursday night crit series (they didn't really need my help this year but I'd like to contribute more next year)

Last edited by gbot; 09-15-10 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-15-10, 12:37 PM
Hammonjj

Bikes: Giant TCR and Giant TCX

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
High Priority:
Upgrade to Category 2
Win a race
Complete the entire season without a DNF (Did Not Finish), only exceptions are “Acts of God”
Podium at all four state championship events:
Contribute BAT (Best All-Around Team) points, regardless of my category

Low Priority:
Increase FTP to 275 watts (4.2 watts/kilo) by April 1st
Increase FTP to 285 watts (4.4 watts/kilo) by November 1st

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.