Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Rod brakes

Old 03-11-20, 11:12 PM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 65 Posts
Rod brakes

I see alot of old English-style bikes on bike racks here. Here in China, you can see buy a new bike with rod brake. But it is not common anymore. Kids nowadays want MTB style bicycles.

So, how good are rod brakes for generally slow-riding in the city?

I have to ride down 3 levels of parking garage, and have to come down slow.

I can buy a brand new English-style singlespeed bike for only US$ 80.
They have either rod brakes or caliper brakes, to choose.

I prefer the styling of the rod brakes. And it looks dead simple to maintain.

Here is the advertisement. Even comes with 26x1-3/8 wheel.

Last edited by mtb_addict; 03-12-20 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-11-20, 11:34 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 282 Posts
Marginal braking at best, worse if on steel rims and can result in death squeeze prayer in the rain with city traffic.

Aftermarket Kool Stop salmon pads are an improvement. Cost of pads in the U.S. is 1/4 the total cost of your entire bike example. That's comical right there.

The action of this brake design is most primitive but ridiculous charming for any bike produced today. The force pushes up on the rim and not against opposing friction pad.

She's cute, by the way.
Old 03-12-20, 12:31 AM
mtb_addict

This fellow seem to like them. He is arguing that if rod brake is adjusted properly, it will work well. But require more work to setup.

Last edited by mtb_addict; 03-12-20 at 01:30 AM.
Likes For mtb_addict:
Old 03-12-20, 12:39 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26374 Post(s)
Liked 10,347 Times in 7,189 Posts
...they work better than no brakes at all, but not much better. Given a choice between rod brakes and cable actuated caliper brakes, it's a no brainer.
Old 03-12-20, 03:42 AM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
I have rod brakes on my DL-1. They are cool in a funky, old fashioned sort of way and I did, after much work, get a reasonable amount of performance out of them. At least for the speeds I ride. But they are difficult to set up, make wheel removal a pest and are no match for caliper brakes in stopping power.
Old 03-12-20, 04:03 AM
mtb_addict

Originally Posted by BigChief
I have rod brakes on my DL-1. They are cool in a funky, old fashioned sort of way and I did, after much work, get a reasonable amount of performance out of them. At least for the speeds I ride. But they are difficult to set up, make wheel removal a pest and are no match for caliper brakes in stopping power.
To convert from rod to caliper, would the rim need to be replaced?
Old 03-12-20, 08:43 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Rod brakes are generally paired with Westwood style rims. These rims do not have a flat sidewall, but rather a a curved edge which provides insufficient contact area for caliper brakes and causes the brake pads to ride either up over or down under the rim, unless the rim is perfectly round and the pad centred exactly on crest of the curved edge. So, typically you'd have to replace the rims/wheels for a rod to caliper brake conversion.

Edit: I echo the previous sentiments regarding the performance of rod brakes. Brake performance is large a function of the coefficient of friction between the rim and pad materials. Chrome plated steel is far inferior to aluminum in this aspect and given that rod brakes are found on inexpensive models, I highly doubt that they would use premium brake pad material.

Last edited by T-Mar; 03-12-20 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-12-20, 09:03 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,691 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict

I have to ride down 3 levels of parking garage, and have to come down slow.

I can buy a brand new English-style singlespeed bike for only US$ 80.
They have either rod brakes or caliper brakes, to choose.
If the ramps in the parking garage are steep enough to make braking problematic, a single speed bike is going to be difficult to ride back up
Old 03-12-20, 09:41 AM
mtb_addict

Originally Posted by alcjphil
If the ramps in the parking garage are steep enough to make braking problematic, a single speed bike is going to be difficult to ride back up
There is an elevator I use to go up.

I could use elevator to go down too, but it is so much easier and fun to ride down.
Old 03-12-20, 10:36 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,803 Times in 1,532 Posts
mtb_addict Dude based on your posts in mechanics, you are in china with limited tools, hard to het parts, etc. Forget about an conversion. it is simple even poor calipers will brake better than rod brakes. if you have concern get the bike with caliper brakes and make you life simple

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 03-12-20, 10:53 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
In my experience, rod brakes work only for very slow riding. Their braking power is much less than caliper brakes. Part of this is due, as said above, to the chromed Westwood rims. When wet, the friction between brake pads and chromed rims is very little, plus the brake linkage has some inherent flex that absorbs some of the travel/force.
I've seen caliper brakes on Westwood rims, but the rounded rim profile wears down the pads very quickly. There are apparently rims made for both rod and caliper brakes, but I've never seen one.
Old 03-12-20, 11:04 AM
mtb_addict

Originally Posted by squirtdad
mtb_addict Dude based on your posts in mechanics, you are in china with limited tools, hard to het parts, etc. Forget about an conversion. it is simple even poor calipers will brake better than rod brakes. if you have concern get the bike with caliper brakes and make you life simple
Unfortunately, the bike with the caliper brake is differnt in other aspect. No lugged frame...and no decorative English fork crown. It doesnt inspire me much.

I just found out that, I can buy a pair of brand new aluminum 26x1-3/8 wheel set (front and rear)for less than US$20 here in Taobao.

Last edited by mtb_addict; 03-12-20 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-12-20, 11:25 AM
thorstein

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Twenty, 1975 Raleigh DL-1, 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport, 1989 Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Unfortunately, the bike with the caliper brake is not lugged frame...and no decorative fork crown. It doesnt inspire me much.
I have a rod brake Raleigh Tourist DL-1 which I love to ride. That being said, function trumps form when looking for a commuter bike. Although I value lugs and decorative fork crowns, they will not help when trying to avoid sticky situations especially when braking is needed.

On the other hand, braking efficiency of rod brakes can be increased with the proper know-how. Also, as has been mentioned, if your riding style will not necessitate quick stops while at high speeds, the bike could work for you. After all, in the history of bikes, rod brake bikes have probably been used more than any other bike for commuting.

Weigh the pros & cons, and consider what your riding style will be.

Good luck!

PS - Being this is a biking forum, I should probably tell you to buy both!
Old 03-12-20, 11:56 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Come on now, this is a C&V forum. Rod brakes are cool! No, they don't work as well as caliper brakes, but they work well enough for a casual commuting situation. Should be fine if you live in a relatively flat area. On the other hand, if you live in a dense urban area, being able to stop quickly when a car makes a stupid turn into you or something is a very useful thing. Caliper brakes on a steel rim are still not going to be great.

As a kid I rode around in a very hilly town with a rear coaster brake only. You get used to planning ahead. There weren't many cars around then.

I've only owned one old style roadster, but it had drum brakes. Those were great. I guess that's not an option here though.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 03-12-20, 12:00 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
Rod brakes have no advantage except perhaps for cost. Don't get them.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-12-20, 12:26 PM
IsleRide

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 49 Posts
I refurbished a Phoenix a few years ago. No comparison to the quality of a Raleigh but it was a functional bike.
Most interesting is the use of a blonde western-looking model to sell them. Effective marketing!
Old 03-12-20, 01:08 PM
thorstein

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Twenty, 1975 Raleigh DL-1, 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport, 1989 Schwinn Voyageur

Originally Posted by IsleRide
I refurbished a Phoenix a few years ago. No comparison to the quality of a Raleigh but it was a functional bike.
Most interesting is the use of a blonde western-looking model to sell them. Effective marketing!
Looks like the image of the girl was digitally added over the pic of the bike!
Old 03-12-20, 03:29 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
My years with the Raleigh Tourist had me believing that rod brakes were marginal at best. Additing Cool Stop pads turned marginal into barely acceptable.

Then I got the Flying Pigeon last month. For what little time I've spent riding it (rear flat problems), I found the brakes to be just as good as any 70's Raleigh Sports with the stock pads. And they were easier to work on than the vintage British roadsters.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 03-12-20, 04:09 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
...There are apparently rims made for both rod and caliper brakes, but I've never seen one.
Dunlop offered a Westwood and Endrick hybrid that they marketed as Dunrick rims. They were manufactured under license in Canada by CCM.during the late 1940s and 1950s..

Old 03-12-20, 06:06 PM
BigChief 

Originally Posted by thorstein
Looks like the image of the girl was digitally added over the pic of the bike!
There is something odd about that photo. There was selection work done. Around the handlebar and bell, the shadows under the tires look fake and some of the curb is missing. The puzzle is that her hair against the wood is perfect. Hard to do unless she was photographed in front of a blue screen. But then why all the sloppy lines along her legs that would have been easy to select?
Old 03-12-20, 06:14 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
There is something odd about that photo. There was selection work done. Around the handlebar and bell, the shadows under the tires look fake and some of the curb is missing. The puzzle is that her hair against the wood is perfect. Hard to do unless she was photographed in front of a blue screen. But then why all the sloppy lines along her legs that would have been easy to select?
I didn't look too closely before, but now it appears like none of the things in that picture were actually photographed together. Just a careless copy and paste job in MS Paint or whatever. And that's the outfit the OP wants to buy a bike from.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-12-20, 06:24 PM
BigChief 

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I didn't look too closely before, but now it appears like none of the things in that picture were actually photographed together. Just a careless copy and paste job in MS Paint or whatever. And that's the outfit the OP wants to buy a bike from.
I think I got it...The photo of the girl in front of the wall is original. They had a super clean selection of the bike, placed it in and did a crappy job of erasing the bike around the model. Then they blurred it up to hide their poor work.
Old 03-12-20, 07:10 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
While we're on the subject of new Chinese roadsters, I may as well fill you in on the Flying Pigeon I picked up new (with a flat rear tire) at the Westminster swap meet in February. For all of $50.00. I was planning on doing a separate thread on it over the past month, but working on the garage took all my time.

Overall, the quality is better than I expected, but I had to check EVERY fastener on the bike. All of mine we tightened to what I can best describe as approximately 32 foot-ounces of torque. Everything on the bike had to be tightened . . . . . . with one exception . . . . . . . . the wheel bearing cones which, I swear, were put on with an air impact wrench. I'm amazed that the wheels actually turned. Happily, the hubs were greased. Haven't had a chance to get at the bottom bracket due to haven't gotten around to replacing the cotter tool that I lost in the fire.

I've ridden it three times now, and gotten three flats in the rear wheel for my trouble. The first two were on the inside of the tube, up against the rim strip, not in the tire tread area. Going over the rim and rim strip, I couldn't feel anything that should be puncturing the tube, but put a layer over the black electrical tape over the rim strip. And these were new 40-635 tubes, not the 35-622 that were originally stretched into the tires. The latest flat was from the patch I put on the previous hole not holding.

Gearing is a 46x20 which means it's a bit overgeared for my tastes, although looking at the freewheel I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get it off. Standard thread-on, but there's no gripping point for a freewheel tool. Will figure that one out once I've got the bike on the road regularly. There is, of course, one point in the crank rotation where it's going to rub on the full chain case. And, so far I haven't figured out how to make it stop. Eventually, it'll probably rub a hole in the backside of the case at that point and problem solved. Oh, unlike the vintage British bikes, that chain case is one welded piece, except for the removable disc over the crank sprocket, and the rear cap which unbolts giving access to the rear sprocket, (single, cheap bastards) chain tension adjuster, and removal of the rear wheel. I can see when the day comes to replace the chain, you do so by attaching the new chain to the old one and pulling it thru.

What I have gotten from this bike is a wonderful practice dummy for working on vintage English roadsters. I think I've had the back wheel off and out at least six times now, having gotten practiced to the point where it's no more trouble to do than, say, my 1972 Raleigh Grand Prix. I can set the rod brakes in under a minute and have them work properly after the first time. I do like the way it rides. If anything, the frame angles are slack to the point that my Raleigh Tourist puts faint claim in for sporty handling by comparison.

I do enjoy the bike. Once I've got the bugs worked out and regeared it to match my normal cadence, I can see using the bike in rotation with my two other Raleigh commuters.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 03-12-20, 07:18 PM
thorstein

Bike added to the girl's picture? All around odd!
Old 03-12-20, 07:56 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
I think I got it...The photo of the girl in front of the wall is original. They had a super clean selection of the bike, placed it in and did a crappy job of erasing the bike around the model. Then they blurred it up to hide their poor work.
Yeah, I think you're right. Weird how the girl and the bike seem to occupy the same space, huh?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.