Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Falling down

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Falling down

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-20, 07:51 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by ride_furthur
Maybe for you. I'd sacrifice expensive cycling over my body any day. Gear can be replaced, a body can't.
It's as simple as where do you want to pay your health insurance deductible? In the equipment or in the ER?

I think I need to gear up like the Michelin Man now.
Old 07-31-20, 12:31 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171
This thread makes me feel concerned, even strike fear, since I rode all my life in toe clips and just bought my first clipless SPD pedals for my new (secondhand) bike.

I bought shoes that have both systems mount holes and smooth undersole, because there were deeply discounted and looked nice. Otherwise I was shopping for knobby sole that you can walk on but decided to buy this pair in case those were unavailable in the current market. BTW four shops I visited while shopping for the shoes looked like they were getting out of business of selling bike shoes, which seemed to me quite separate issue from the covid thing it seems.

At home, I was curious how it clips in and adjusted the pedal clip-in force to minimum and clipped the shoe in while holding it in hand. Problem was unclipping because I didn't tighten the screws properly and the clip on the shoe was swiveling on the smooth sole... I scratched the sole while pivoting the shoe in wide angle until it released but it left me thinking... suppose I tighten it properly and ride it for some time, but in some colder weather or in wet condition, what if the clip will slide on that slick undersole again anyway and I will not be able to unclip. It wouldn't happen with the other kind of road clip since that has three hole mounting.

Later I bought a second pair of shoes with knobby sole and that one has a 'guide' in the sole that would prevent significant pivoting even if not properly tightened, which strikes me as safer. I didn't ride it yet but I imagine when I do, the unclipping will come naturally but since I would continue to also ride my old toe clips bike, there is a danger of forgetting oneself... I will be taking this new bike out for sporting rides only on open roads and keep the old one when I would go to town, so I wouldn't do any frequent stopping with those clipless pedals.
I rode toe clips for several years, long before there was an option. IME they are vastly more dangerous than clipless if you strap them down. If you don't, they're pretty useless, keep you foot located on the pedal, but that's all.

I only know one guy who got injured with clipless. He was my dentist at the time. Broke his wrist in the parking lot the first time he rode the bike. Need I say more? I do kinda get why dentists have this reputation. I don't know anyone else who ever had a problem. Thing to do is to keep the adjustment screws backed all the way out until you feel completely comfortable. It's fairly easy to just rip your foot out of SPDs if you have a mental blow-up. I did that once as I came to a sudden stop when the gravel patch turned out to be bottomless.

The problem, if there is one, is that when stopping, unless one is practiced or careful it is possible for one's CG to suddenly be on the wrong side of the bike, just as one is about to put one's foot down on the other side. One needs to move the front wheel away from the foot side at the last instant, which is already natural for most folks.
Old 07-31-20, 02:39 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
For those who are not confident in going clipped in, I saw these pedals which are flat with grip to wear with regular shoes on one side and then SPD clip in on the other side. I can see their benefit in many ways but I think the are marketed towards the commuter who needs to wear a regular shoe to work but then want to clip in on the weekend. Also good for a beginner who might want to get used to biking clipped in but only in safe environment but then ride with out them along city streets. For the price, not a bad idea.
They are called iSSI FLIP II SPD pedals and can be found on Amazon.
Old 08-01-20, 02:48 PM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
I confess, in all those years riding with toe clips, I never tightened the straps but keep them just snug enough to be able to slip in/out without much fuss. Only tightened them when I was much younger and then I think I did that because that's what you were supposed to do, not that it was needed or useful in some way. Even with straps not tight and not pulling on them on the upstroke (at least not that I could tell), I always had a feeling I could do pretty good job of round pedaling when I focused on doing so. Having the toeclips just made me feel safer in some situations that my shoe wouldn't slip forward on the pedal, maybe even completely off it.

You can sort of pull up on the upstroke even without being clipped in or using toe clips by keeping the pedal sloping forward. The second quadrant of the upstroke is probably inefficient anyway even if you are clipped in, except for well trained bicyclists.
I think or believe, those cyclists that can do things like jumping up curb sideways, either one wheel at a time or both wheels together, can do it with flat pedals. If I recall right, when you learn to do things like that, you should start with flat pedals anyway.

As to embarrassing fall, I had one such when I was in my teens, I was on a totally empty road and there was this gentle left curve and due to some inattention or what, I went straight through it into a ditch and flew head over handlebars. It was embarrassing even when nobody was around to see it. Luckily, no damage done, I just straightened the handlebars holding the front wheel between my legs and was able to ride away.
A bit later in life, I took beginner judo lessons which means countless falling, being thrown and throwing you partner, and the idea is to automatize spreading the body weight on large area. In judo you use one hand to swing it with force into the mat just before body contacts it to take off some fall energy that way into it but in road situation if you stall clipped in, best is to keep hands on handlebars as said above, or if at speed and you fly off the bike, best it to curl up like a hedgehog and hope for the best.
This last I tested once when a car driver didn't notice me while he was making a left turn and I demolished the bike against his front wheel and went flying over the hood of the car and curled up in a ball I made countless rolls down the road before coming to a stop unharmed except for some minor bruises.

Last edited by vane171; 08-01-20 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-01-20, 03:27 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6190 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountain Mitch
But the real point is, don’t just follow the crowd...as I said, figure out what works for you and enjoy the ride! Clearly, clipless isn’t working for the O/P. That’s really all that matters. If it works for you - great!
So based on one incident given by the OP you have decided that the OP should not ride with clipless?

I thought the OP wanted advice on how to fall which I would assume is slightly independent of whether clipless, toe straps or simple platform pedals being used.
Old 08-01-20, 09:43 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
So based on one incident given by the OP you have decided that the OP should not ride with clipless?

I thought the OP wanted advice on how to fall which I would assume is slightly independent of whether clipless, toe straps or simple platform pedals being used.
The OP talks about taking a number of falls. Only the last one cause him to require knee replacement. And he attributes it to clipless pedals. So, yeah, he wants advice about falling and my advice is ‘don't fall’. And the easiest way to get there is to give up his useless and apparently dangerous (to him) clipless pedals. He says he really enjoys riding his flats on his other bike.

So many people ride clipless not because it helps them but because it’s the thing to do. I rode clipless for years. I gave it up and I’m glad I did. It makes no difference to my speed or control but I find not having to use the cleats and pedals has increased my enjoyment in riding. YMMV.
Old 08-02-20, 09:02 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6190 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountain Mitch
So many people ride clipless not because it helps them but because it’s the thing to do. I rode clipless for years. I gave it up and I’m glad I did. It makes no difference to my speed or control but I find not having to use the cleats and pedals has increased my enjoyment in riding. YMMV.
I guess my objection is you make the implication that I ride clipless just to be a "follower".

Never in my mind was the idea that clipless let me put more power into my pedal revolutions as you allude to in referencing your link. The only reason I went clipless is that I was pedaling faster cadences and needed something to keep my feet on the pedals.

If I look at the times I've fallen on a bike, overwhelmingly they were bikes with platform pedals. I didn't go clipless till in my 50's.
Old 08-02-20, 03:06 PM
btbeth

Bikes: Cannondale T-2000, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A "crash" thread is a good time to remind people to make sure their tetanus vaccine is up to date (every 10 years). There are all sorts of little metal pieces on the road, and you may get one of them imbedded in your skin as you skid across the tarmac. Also, you can get one at most places that have flu vaccines in the fall and right now there are no lines (as everyone awaits the vaccine we all really want!).
Old 08-23-20, 10:04 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Sorry for your injury. I use pedals with toe clips on all my bikes, as i'd hate to break a hip just because i forgot to unclip at a stop sign. And i don't tighten the straps. I just like the secure feeling of some but not to much constraint against slipping off the pedal.
Old 08-24-20, 11:32 AM
rob214

Bikes: 2017 giant TCR, 2019 Santa Cruz tallboy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
like most clipped in roadies I fell a couple of times so what's the cure? unclip while coasting to a stop not unclip at 0 mph. when you know your stopping unclip and coast to a stop not hard to do or remember really. I'm not trying to be mean or sarcastic, I've learned and that's how I do it and I don't fall anymore.
Old 08-24-20, 12:13 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
My nightmare was a flat at 38mph just before hitting a 90° sweeping L turn, recall sliding down the road on my side
wondering if I would stop before hitting the metal railing. Mostly skin rash and two ruined wheels.
However the most unrecoverable falls in my experience are when stopping in a group and unclipping and put the
foot down only to realize you are off balance to the other side, nothing you can do except hope the nearby
cyclist is close and big enough to stop your fall. This has happened twice in the past 28 yrs.

Trike is best solution, low rider 2 wheel bent another, my bent seat is 15" off the ground.
Old 08-24-20, 01:29 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
When it comes to falling, it's best to do so from a trike or a lowracer.
Old 08-26-20, 03:57 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
While I am 82 and really have no balance problems, and have never fallen while on a bike ever, I ride a trike around town. It is just easier staying clipped in. There is the added advantage of not wobbling into traffic when you start off. Additionally they are safer with a side wind that tries to push you over into traffic.

As another member stated if your concern is great, maybe a trike would be the solution to your problem. Besides they are really fun and easy to ride.
Old 08-26-20, 04:30 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I was walking by drunk bicycle home, Saturday night a fortnight ago & it fell over..