Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Ran into CyclingSavvy's John Allen today

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 08-03-20, 01:34 PM
NewATBikeComute

Bikes: Trek 800 Sport,Cavelo Gara

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 6 Posts

I was standing outside taking a coffee break, when a dude rides up on a classic/vintage bike, and we start chatting. Had a nice chat, admired his combo of derailleur and internal hub. Now I wish I had grabbed a pic, but I was just enjoying the chance to meet someone who enjoys riding and working on his own bikes. He was buying some bearings to rebuild a wheel (not a bike shop, but we sell bearings), so we chatted some more while he got his order. (I am just the IT guy, not a sales person.)

I am not even sure why this made me a little more hopeful, but it did.
Old 08-03-20, 03:11 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
More likely to see him there.MA where you both live, than I am on the other side of the country..
Old 08-03-20, 03:24 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4783 Post(s)
Liked 3,902 Times in 2,539 Posts
Memories! I rode with the Charles River Wheelmen, raced for NEBC, worked at LifeCycle and Bicycle Exchange and crossed paths with him many times. But he was not yet a celebrity of our little cycling world.

Ben
Old 08-04-20, 11:34 AM
NewATBikeComute

Bikes: Trek 800 Sport,Cavelo Gara

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 6 Posts
I have a dream...of retiring some day, and riding to the west coast and visiting family in the Seattle area. In my dreams, it is a trip that takes a year, and I explore this country stop by random spot. Almost certainly not going to happen, but then again I just completed my first and second half-century rides, in consecutive weekends. Given that 2020 is already stranger than science fiction, who knows?
Old 08-04-20, 12:20 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by NewATBikeComute
I have a dream...of retiring some day, and riding to the west coast and visiting family in the Seattle area. In my dreams, it is a trip that takes a year, and I explore this country stop by random spot. Almost certainly not going to happen, but then again I just completed my first and second half-century rides, in consecutive weekends. Given that 2020 is already stranger than science fiction, who knows?
My plan, which would require more time than I could probably live, is to do all of the towns in “I’ve Been Everywhere” in order, and if I survive long enough then the original Australian version
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-04-20, 12:20 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
A friend did a US Trans Continental ride in portions , returned another year and rode the next section..

People do that hiking the Camino Santiago too