Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Another help thread: Trek 8.4DS vs. Specialized Crosstail Disc vs. Cannondale Bad Boy

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Another help thread: Trek 8.4DS vs. Specialized Crosstail Disc vs. Cannondale Bad Boy

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-15, 06:30 AM
bleepjay

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm hoping you guys could help bring any kind of insight to help me make my decisions. I know these three bikes are at three different price points, but I've narrowed my decision to these three (mostly because they're what the LBS have).

My main purpose is to commute to work (3 mi, 3 Round trips per day) and bike around with my 3 yr old son. I also wouldn't mind hitting some very light trails whenever he gets old enough to join. This is my first bike since a kid (used to BMX) so the larger bike will definitely be something to get used to.

I really am trying to figure out which of the three is the best value. The Specialized would be cheapest and easiest to get started. I liked it, but I'm worried I'm going to want to upgrade components right away. The Bad Boy was real nice, but I think I want something more on the mountain bike side. Would probably buy an extra set of tires for this reason to swap when needed. The 8.4 DS seemed perfect but was most expensive, but also had a large number of upgraded components.

Would you guys recommend going all in on an 8.4 DS or starting a little smaller? I know I can't go wrong with any of these, but wanted to see if anybody had any insight on any of these, especially the Bad Boy, because I haven't found a lot of people recommending/reviewing this one?

Thanks
Old 04-26-15, 06:43 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by bleepjay
I'm hoping you guys could help bring any kind of insight to help me make my decisions. I know these three bikes are at three different price points, but I've narrowed my decision to these three (mostly because they're what the LBS have).

My main purpose is to commute to work (3 mi, 3 Round trips per day) and bike around with my 3 yr old son. I also wouldn't mind hitting some very light trails whenever he gets old enough to join. This is my first bike since a kid (used to BMX) so the larger bike will definitely be something to get used to.

I really am trying to figure out which of the three is the best value. The Specialized would be cheapest and easiest to get started. I liked it, but I'm worried I'm going to want to upgrade components right away. The Bad Boy was real nice, but I think I want something more on the mountain bike side. Would probably buy an extra set of tires for this reason to swap when needed. The 8.4 DS seemed perfect but was most expensive, but also had a large number of upgraded components.

Would you guys recommend going all in on an 8.4 DS or starting a little smaller? I know I can't go wrong with any of these, but wanted to see if anybody had any insight on any of these, especially the Bad Boy, because I haven't found a lot of people recommending/reviewing this one?

Thanks
It seems like there is a difference between what you need and what you want. While you can commute on a mountain bike, something more road oriented is better for commuting. Your son is only 3, so presumably hasn't even learned to ride,yet, so single track riding with him is at least 3 to 5 years away.
Old 04-26-15, 08:14 AM
steve_cay

Bikes: 2013 Trek 8.4 DS

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Nice choice of bikes! I have a Trek DS 8.4, and love it, great bike with no downfalls that I have seen. I really enjoy it on both roads and trails.

As for the choice of bikes, Trek and Specialized are similar styles ("Dual Sport for road and off-road"). These types of bikes work well on offroad trails (but not hard-core technical mountain biking), as well as roads. The Trek DS 8.4 has Hydraulic disk breaks, whereas the Specialized Crosstrail disk has mechanical disks ... I much prefer the hydraulic discs, and believe they are worth the upgrade price. The Trek DS 8.4 is considered by many the best "value" in the DS lineup, since you get "good" components at a reasonable price before the pricing balloons for the "excellent" components. If you like the "Specialized Crosstrail" better that the Trek, consider the "Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc" which adds hydraulic disks. If you need more convincing, do you not want brakes with the more effortless stopping power if you have your 3 year old in tow or tied to you?

As for the Bad Boy, not too familiar with it.

Per MRT2's comment ... The Trek/Specialized you settled on add about 4lbs to offer off-road capable wider tires, suspension, and a more rugged build. They still work nicely on the road, and will be more comfortable and stable (especially if the roads are full of cracks and potholes). But these are not "mountain bikes" like he seems to imply. If you will just do some "groomed flat hard-packed park trails", and don't mind to forgo some comfort for performance, you could also consider a "fitness" type of Hybrid like the Trek FX, or Specialized Sirrus line, ... for some better road efficiency.

Last edited by steve_cay; 05-02-15 at 05:15 AM.
Old 04-26-15, 09:06 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
It comes down to fit and lust! Ride them all again, and decide which one is really the most comfortable. Better yet, ride more, like performance hybrids like the Sirrus, and performance hybrids like the Crosstrail. Then decide which one is mor practical, and which one fits you the best.

I would be looking in the $800 range, because that seems to be where the sweet spots are in those lineups.

I love the Sirrus, and I love the Crosstrail, (I have them both) because Specialized geometry fits me better. And, I would go disc, specifically hydraulic, if I were buying new.

The best advice you are going to get, is to ride and decide - and then get the one you want, even if you have to wait on an order - orders don't usually take that long.
Old 04-26-15, 02:59 PM
GDive

Bikes: 2014 Specialized CrossTrail Sport Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bleepjay
I really am trying to figure out which of the three is the best value. The Specialized would be cheapest and easiest to get started. I liked it, but I'm worried I'm going to want to upgrade components right away. The Bad Boy was real nice, but I think I want something more on the mountain bike side. Would probably buy an extra set of tires for this reason to swap when needed. The 8.4 DS seemed perfect but was most expensive, but also had a large number of upgraded components. Thanks
I own a Crosstrail Sport Disc and looked all three that you're considering. Even though I loved the look, I ruled the BB out because I knew I would be riding mostly hard trails. One thing I would suggest if you're trying to maximize value is have your LBS look for 2014 bikes in the models you like. If you're not locked in on a particular color you may find a better deal or be able to go a step up in a model for the same $$$ as a 2015.
Old 04-26-15, 03:07 PM
steve_cay

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GDive
One thing I would suggest if you're trying to maximize value is have your LBS look for 2014 bikes in the models you like.
Absolutely! Last year I was looking for a Trek DS 8.3, and one dealer had a brand new "last years" model of an 8.4. He gave me $200 off, bringing the 8.4 to the price of the 8.3 (they would not budge on a current year 8.3). No brainer, considering the only difference was color!
Old 04-26-15, 03:21 PM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer

The best advice you are going to get, is to ride and decide - and then get the one you want, even if you have to wait on an order - orders don't usually take that long.
Yep.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 04-26-15, 05:50 PM
Bill1227

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts
He can definitely "commute" on a Crosstrail or Dual Sport. Especially if staying away from cars,near the curb,on the walk,path,amongst pot holes, four season climent etc are in the mix. He is only commuting 3 miles and could easily,comfortably do 30/15 each way

As soon as you said "trails" the Bad Boy was out.

Either or DS / CT - they are more similar than different. Other manufactures labeled DS/CT = Are differant so tread with caution. Personally, I would not worry much about the components but you may want to annie up for hydro disc brakes. Save the rest ($$$) for pedals,bar ends,rack,etc. They will go plenty good off road as is. I was MTB'in/Adventure ride'in my all day today - rigid to boot.
Old 04-26-15, 06:31 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
I myself had cross shopped the DS 8.5 and 8.4 with the Crosstrail Sport Disc. Honestly, there really isn't a whole lot of ride difference between these three. My suggestion, pick the one that you feel comfortable riding and if your the same on all, pick the one that you like the color the best. I have to admit, the DS do have a cooler looking frame shape and color choices. But, I got my bike on sale for $707, and honestly, that won me over.
Old 04-26-15, 07:27 PM
GDive

Bikes: 2014 Specialized CrossTrail Sport Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
But, I got my bike on sale for $707, and honestly, that won me over.
Amen to this. It's amazing how much better looking the bike gets when you get a great deal.
Old 04-26-15, 08:34 PM
bleepjay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
It seems like there is a difference between what you need and what you want. While you can commute on a mountain bike, something more road oriented is better for commuting. Your son is only 3, so presumably hasn't even learned to ride,yet, so single track riding with him is at least 3 to 5 years away.
Yea, I am a little optimistic about when I'll get out riding with him, but I'm trying to do is save myself from another bike in a few years.
Old 04-26-15, 08:40 PM
bleepjay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steve_cay
Nice choice of bikes! I have a Trek DS 8.4, and love it, great bike with no downfalls that I have seen. I really enjoy it on both roads and trails.

As for the choice of bikes, Trek and Specialized are similar styles ("Dual Sport for road and off-road"). These types of bikes work well on offroad trails (but not hard-core technical mountain biking), as well as roads. The Trek DS 8.4 has Hydraulic disk breaks, whereas the Specialized Crosstrail disk has mechanical disks ... I much prefer the hydraulic discs, and believe they are worth the upgrade price. The Trek DS 8.4 is considered by many the best "value" in the DS lineup, since you get "good" components at a reasonable price before the pricing balloons for the "excellent" components. If you like the "Specialized Crosstrail" better that the Trek, consider the "Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc" which adds hydraulic disks. If you need more convincing, do you not want brakes with the more effortless stopping power if you have your 3 year old in tow or tied to you?

As for the Bad Boy, not too familiar with it, but if I look it up at almost $2000 for a Hybrid, it should not be in the same sentence with "trying to figure out which of the three is the best value"

Per MRT2's comment ... The Trek/Specialized you settled on add about 4lbs to offer off-road capable wider tires, suspension, and a more rugged build. They still work nicely on the road, and will be more comfortable and stable (especially if the roads are full of cracks and potholes). But these are not "mountain bikes" like he seems to imply. If you will just do some "groomed flat hard-packed park trails", and don't mind to forgo some comfort for performance, you could also consider a "fitness" type of Hybrid like the Trek FX, or Specialized Sirrus line, ... for some better road efficiency.
Thanks for the reply. I think if I look at the Specialized, I should be looking at the Sport Disc edition to compare it equally to the 8.4 DS. The trails I'm thinking about are pretty much like you mentioned, "grommed flat hard-packed park trails", so I think either of these bikes should handle them fine.

As for the Bad Boy I'm looking at, it's the Bad Boy 4 MSRP $700, but it's more of a fitness so I don't think I should be going that route.
Old 04-26-15, 08:42 PM
bleepjay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GDive
I own a Crosstrail Sport Disc and looked all three that you're considering. Even though I loved the look, I ruled the BB out because I knew I would be riding mostly hard trails. One thing I would suggest if you're trying to maximize value is have your LBS look for 2014 bikes in the models you like. If you're not locked in on a particular color you may find a better deal or be able to go a step up in a model for the same $$$ as a 2015.
I thought about that too, but my LBS said they're all out of 2014's right now. They mentioned that the past few weeks have been really good for them and they got cleared out.
Old 04-27-15, 06:14 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I also agree with others - if the Crosstrail wins out - the Sport Disc seems to be the sweet spot in that line.
Old 04-28-15, 11:32 AM
MrCoffee

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Easy decision. You are using the bike for commuting. And for that, you want the most affordable option. The Crosstrail does not have cheap components. It will hold up for a very long time just the way it is. You won't have to waste a lot of money on upgrades, because it is not needed. Everything works very well together straight out of the box. Now, take some of that money you save and take your son to the local Dairy Queen. Then buy HIM a bike too. He will be very happy!
Old 04-29-15, 09:56 PM
BiciMan

Bikes: '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '14 Trek Domane, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
Agree that the Crosstrail and DS bikes are very similar bikes, and either would be a good choice. The Crosstrail Disc, however, is the bottom of the Crosstrail line, while the 8.4 is the middle of the DS range. I'd ride two comparable models, regardless of the price range, and if you're still not sure, opt for the one you'll enjoy looking at every day. The Crosstrail Disc is a very nice bike, though, and may be as much as you need. Still, it sounds like you're looking at this as a bike you'll keep for a long while, so getting the better bike can be more justifiable and probably, ultimately more cost-efficient. Upgrading parts is usually more expensive than getting them up front, and upgrading to a new bike is especially costly. I also endorse shopping around for earlier models, and consider looking in nearby towns, if feasible. Enjoy the shopping and your eventual selection.
Old 04-30-15, 03:42 PM
Bill1227

Originally Posted by BiciMan
Agree that the Crosstrail and DS bikes are very similar bikes, and either would be a good choice. The Crosstrail Disc, however, is the bottom of the Crosstrail line, while the 8.4 is the middle of the DS range.
Ahhh no it's not, there are less costly Crosstrails with cantilever brakes.

But here is a Legitimate" tip" for all -

They are not "hybrids" anyways and I don't know how they ended up in this sub-forum (soley btw) anyways. Crosstrail's are 29er Mountainbikes - pure and simple. The frames are pure 29er MTB and Very,Very simular to Spesh Rockhoppers and Stumpys in geometry and all other. They have a "whisker" longer chrainstays via brazeon's for bags on racks - just like early 90's MTB's. The springer forks are Better in all ways than the best early 90's MTB front suspension forks and again many early 90's MTB's had tripples. They give you a set of 38mm tires for Roads - little off road dirt just like you can put on a Rockhopper or any other MTB. Put a 2.2" Fast Track MTB tire up front and a 2.0" Renegade on the back and see what it will do on single track ......

29ers roll a bit faster on flats,longer wheels base,etc. so they fit this roll well compared to 26ers. BTW - early 26er MTB's had 1.6" tires too.

They are geared a touch higher for road and have braze on's which for some dumb reason most other Mountain Bikes don't these days

So enjoy your "hybrid" if thats what you want to call them. May as well add in the Surly Orge and a host of others to the list as well....................and the down bar 29er MTB the AWOL as well because if you look at the geometry then ride them (I rode an awol today) they are all way more simular than differant.

Only website I know of that lists them in their "hybrid" section............
Old 04-30-15, 03:58 PM
steve_cay

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bill1227
They are not "hybrids" anyways and I don't know how they ended up in this sub-forum (soley btw) anyways. Crosstrail's are 29er Mountainbikes - pure and simple.

Hmmm ... here is Trek's blurb on the DS:
DS Series is the ultimate hybrid: part refined city bike, part adventurous trail ride. Fast 700c wheels, capable suspension, and a light, strong frame make DS the go-anywhere choice.

And Specialized lists them under "Multi-use" (seems to be their term for hybrid) and not under mountain bike!
The Crosstrail is a light and fast fitness machine that handles a wide range of terrain. It’s the perfect setup for a weekend adventure ride on gravel trails, fire roads, paved pathways and everything in between. It’s your workout companion, but also offers great versatility to turn into a fast commuter bike, on and off-road.

Most bike stores also call it for example: "[h=1]Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc 2015 Hybrid Bike"[/h]

Old 04-30-15, 08:12 PM
madurotiger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill1227
Ahhh no it's not, there are less costly Crosstrails with cantilever brakes.

But here is a Legitimate" tip" for all -

They are not "hybrids" anyways and I don't know how they ended up in this sub-forum (soley btw) anyways.
Crosstrail's are 29er Mountainbikes - pure and simple. The frames are pure 29er MTB and Very,Very simular to Spesh Rockhoppers and Stumpys in geometry and all other. They have a "whisker" longer chrainstays via brazeon's for bags on racks - just like early 90's MTB's. The springer forks are Better in all ways than the best early 90's MTB front suspension forks and again many early 90's MTB's had tripples. They give you a set of 38mm tires for Roads - little off road dirt just like you can put on a Rockhopper or any other MTB. Put a 2.2" Fast Track MTB tire up front and a 2.0" Renegade on the back and see what it will do on single track ......

29ers roll a bit faster on flats,longer wheels base,etc. so they fit this roll well compared to 26ers. BTW - early 26er MTB's had 1.6" tires too.

They are geared a touch higher for road and have braze on's which for some dumb reason most other Mountain Bikes don't these days

So enjoy your "hybrid" if thats what you want to call them. May as well add in the Surly Orge and a host of others to the list as well....................and the down bar 29er MTB the AWOL as well because if you look at the geometry then ride them (I rode an awol today) they are all way more simular than differant.

No, Crosstrails aren't mountain bikes. You can't take them mountain biking like you can a mountain bike. You can take them on lighter, flat, hard packed trails. No one will tell you that can take them on anything more than that. I'm not sure who told you that they are basically mountain bikes but they definitely aren't.
Old 04-30-15, 09:57 PM
Bill1227

Originally Posted by madurotiger
No, Crosstrails aren't mountain bikes. You can't take them mountain biking like you can a mountain bike. You can take them on lighter, flat, hard packed trails. No one will tell you that can take them on anything more than that. I'm not sure who told you that they are basically mountain bikes but they definitely aren't.
No one "told me that" although local bike mechanics agree. I lived it -
Are you saying that a Crosstrail is less of a mountaimbike than a early 90s Mountainbike?
Is it less than a cheap rockhopper because the fork has a little less travel?
What about MTBers that rigid? What about a Spesh single speed, rigid Carve with carbon fork?
So what's a Hardrock with 1.6"/38 semi slick file tread trigger tires?
You do realize you can put 2.2" front and 2" rear mountaimbike tires on it right?
And the frames are pure mountaimbike right?
And the basic Springer , low travel by today's standards is still better than the best early 90s IF it even had one and wasn't rigid
That often early 90s tires were 1.75-1.9" wide and a 29er aids in roll over,min suspension ability

And last when we would put 1.5" semi slicks on a MTB back then the slang term was "hybrid"

Show me other rather than just replying "no" and "who told you that"

Look at the bikes not the press,marketing pitch If they can take similar manufacturing process they are accustomed to and sell it to different groups via different marketing - rather than redesign new - they will

Lately the pitch has become "fitness" as example - "fitness bikes"

Its marketing and nothing more

No offense

Last edited by Bill1227; 04-30-15 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-30-15, 10:10 PM
madurotiger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Relating to early 90s MTB I couldn't tell you. I know that for example a crosstrail and rockhopper don't need to go on the same type of terrain because one is a MTB and one isn't.
Old 05-01-15, 10:18 AM
MrCoffee

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I looked at my Crosstrail Disc, and noticed the 700c wheels, upright positioning, multi surface tires, and taller gearing. It's a hybrid with a front suspension fork, not a mountain bike.
Old 05-01-15, 11:10 AM
Sunsanvil

Bikes: 2013 Trek DS 8.4

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
With respect to the OP, your choice of bike has nothing to do with components. The three bikes you are looking at are all available in a very similar range of price points affecting the grade of bolted on components. The frame geometry of the three is different enough that you should FIRST be choosing which one firsts your body fitness and riding style best, then and only then chose the price point/component level which suits your budget.

A closer comparison to the DS and CrossTrail might be the Cannodale Quick CX line. Here I can tell you that geometry varies from an almost recreation/fitness posture on the Cannondale, to almost that of a hardtail MTB on the DS, with the CrossTrail falling somewhere in between. Which one is right for you only you can say, and only after ACTUALLY test riding them all for more than 2 minutes.
Old 05-01-15, 05:39 PM
Bill1227

Oh brother...........

And the flag is red,white & purple too
Old 05-01-15, 09:43 PM
bleepjay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So.... didn't think this thread would go so off topic, but I went ahead and went with the 8.4DS. As soon as I got on this bike (after riding the other 2), it just felt right. I went ahead and got a Bontrager Flat pack and a duotrap s digital sensor.

After riding the 3, it just felt the smoothest. The Bad Boy felt real smooth and fast, but there would probably be a lot of packed dirt in my future so I wanted to make sure I was ready for it without having to swap out tires.

We'll see how the commute is on this thing on Monday, but after riding a few miles on it already, I can say that I'm pretty stoked about my purchase. Thanks for all the feedback.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.