Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Never Rode a Fatbike, Considering One as my Sole Bike

Search
Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Never Rode a Fatbike, Considering One as my Sole Bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-18, 10:34 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
If you care about rolling resistance and effort you shouldn't ride either one.
Bike packed on a 29er plus or fat bike?
Old 02-08-18, 10:35 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Bike packed on a 29er plus or fat bike?
Of course not. I care about rolling resistance and effort.
Old 02-08-18, 10:40 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Sooo, back to the OP, demo some at a bike expo or event.
Old 02-08-18, 10:46 AM
Resyeger

Bikes: 2015 Surly Krampus, 2016 Mongoose Argus Expert, 2017 Surly Cross Check, 2018 Surly Wednesday

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TallTourist
Do you have the rigid fork or have you gone with a suspension fork?

I'm a real greenhorn when it comes to mountain biking. When I see gopro footage of guys flying down trails with trees whizzing by real close I just think "**** I don't want to do that! I'd be going 5 km/h there!" haha. I'm more thinking places like Arches and Canyonlands in Utah or Mongolia, Russia, Northern China etc. All of those places have ****ty roads or no roads at all or what roads there are can probably be bypassed for more tranquil options. I guess my main worry is gear reliability. The handful of long-distance remote tourers on fatbikes on YouTube seem to have a lot of breakages and all quite serious stuff (Derailleurs, brakes and frames). And I'm learning just getting something shipped via DHL to random 3rd world countries from the USA or really anywhere is a LOT harder than I was led to believe. I've been through nearly 7 countries so far and still haven't found 50-622 tires for my bike and Schwalbe won't ship here...might as well be on the moon. Fatbike stuff is probably even harder to get.

I have the rigid fork on my Wednesday and love it. I also have another fatbike with a Bluto fork and a suspension seatpost, which does make it slightly better for getting really rowdy. But I purposely wanted my Wednesday to be more of a commuter/tourer. And I'm finding that I actually prefer the simplicity and efficiency of the rigid setup to the squishy in 95% of situations. From the kind of riding your describing I think a bike like the Wednesday or the Pugsley 2.0 would definitely be the way to go if you want to go fat.

I can't really speak to the availability of replacement parts when travelling etc; except that surly seems to have redesigned the pugsley with some of that in mind; although it probably is still harder to get fat bike specific parts in comparison to a regular MTB or touring bike.
Old 02-08-18, 08:12 PM
TallTourist

Bikes: Vivente Deccan XXXL Slightly modified

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Resyeger
I have the rigid fork on my Wednesday and love it. I also have another fatbike with a Bluto fork and a suspension seatpost, which does make it slightly better for getting really rowdy. But I purposely wanted my Wednesday to be more of a commuter/tourer. And I'm finding that I actually prefer the simplicity and efficiency of the rigid setup to the squishy in 95% of situations. From the kind of riding your describing I think a bike like the Wednesday or the Pugsley 2.0 would definitely be the way to go if you want to go fat.

I can't really speak to the availability of replacement parts when travelling etc; except that surly seems to have redesigned the pugsley with some of that in mind; although it probably is still harder to get fat bike specific parts in comparison to a regular MTB or touring bike.

Well thanks for your advice, I guess I'm going to have to try some of the options out before buying, sounds like a very personal decision.
Old 02-08-18, 08:16 PM
TallTourist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
My fatbike friends that ride gravel grinders and like suspended forks like the Lauf: https://fat-bike.com/2015/07/lauf-carbonara-tested/

I think I'd like to go with a CF fork for some weight saving and damping without going suspension. I find the tires take out most of the buzz and rarely felt the need for more suspension on the fork*

* There's a local gravel race called LML that is the start of the gravel season every year. The gravel roads are just thawed and full of pot-holes. On LML ... I'd like more suspension.
Yea I guess with the racing you do, those upgrades make a big difference! Still can't get over the 140 miler, that's badass.
Old 02-08-18, 08:22 PM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Do you ever regret not getting suspension? I'm leaning toward at least front suspension the bucksaw FS bike and its similar options from other companies looks good to me. Not sure how durable they'd be, though.
Not so far at least. More weight and complication to add to the mix. The tyres do help of course.
Old 02-08-18, 10:24 PM
TallTourist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aushiker
Not so far at least. More weight and complication to add to the mix. The tyres do help of course.
Yeah the mounts for the rear suspension look really weak to me plus there goes the frame bag. Ohh for a fatbike rental place.
Old 02-08-18, 11:18 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
I did for 5 years, loved it! Only reason I still don't is it wouldn't fit on my bike
I hope this was not taken in any way negative.
It's just how I see it. The road bike is for fast, sporty rides like a sports car. The touring bike is for long loaded trips like a mini van and the fat bike, even though it can be used on the road, it's slower and sucks more gas, but for off road, there is no substitute.
Old 02-10-18, 09:05 PM
TallTourist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
I hope this was not taken in any way negative.
It's just how I see it. The road bike is for fast, sporty rides like a sports car. The touring bike is for long loaded trips like a mini van and the fat bike, even though it can be used on the road, it's slower and sucks more gas, but for off road, there is no substitute.
Nope! Not taken negatively

You're right!

I'm definitely going to have to rent a fatty tho first. Spent all day crawling up hills like a snail and spinning out on the loose dirt every 50 feet. Kept thinking it might be even harder on a fatty. Who knows. Losse dirt over hard stone is a PITA at the best of times lol
Old 02-11-18, 05:12 PM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 186 Posts
I have a fatbike and it is my only off road bike. I do not regret buying it for a minute but I might get a set of 27.5+ or 29+ wheels for it to make it more versatile. Based on what I have read, you seem like you must be at least reasonably strong and, likely, more. Considering what you plan to do on it, I think a fatbike will fit the bill. If, and that is a big if, you feel like you are lugging it around, you can always get plus wheelset and go from there.
Old 02-11-18, 08:39 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
I think most people, if picking one bike to rule them all, would go for a cross bike, or one of the newer "gravel" bikes.
Old 02-13-18, 11:11 PM
MarcusT

Originally Posted by Banzai
I think most people, if picking one bike to rule them all, would go for a cross bike, or one of the newer "gravel" bikes.
Sorry to disagree, but for me, an all around bike is an MTB with gravel tires. More robust for single track with tighter tires for road use
Old 02-14-18, 09:52 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT

Sorry to disagree, but for me, an all around bike is an MTB with gravel tires. More robust for single track with tighter tires for road use
That's probably a close #2, in popularity. But I don't think a fatbike as "one bike to rule them all" is a very popular option.

But, everyone has their thing. Maybe it could work for some.
Old 02-14-18, 10:37 AM
MarcusT

Originally Posted by Banzai
That's probably a close #2, in popularity. But I don't think a fatbike as "one bike to rule them all" is a very popular option.

But, everyone has their thing. Maybe it could work for some.
Oh yea, I didn't know you were talking about popularity.
I was a hybrid rider in the 90's when they were only known in Europe. And the story was; The comfortable, upright position, robust wheels of a MTB and the light weight and handling of a road bike. Over the years I've noticed that many road bikes with flat bars are called a hybrid.

This year, my fat bike is tied with my touring bike for mileage. I train and tour with the touring, but for fun it is senòr fatty.
Old 03-20-18, 10:13 PM
TallTourist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well yesterday I got to ride a fatbike! It was a REALLY cheap one (4000 mxn) but it was still the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden by a landslide. It was like pedaling a couch! LOVED it. I'm hooked.
Old 03-20-18, 11:14 PM
MarcusT

Well yesterday I got to ride a fatbike! It was a REALLY cheap one (4000 mxn) but it was still the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden by a landslide. It was like pedaling a couch! LOVED it. I'm hooked.
Glad to hear it. Now, how long will it take for you to start looking at upgrades?
Old 03-22-18, 06:25 AM
lurch0038

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
With you being 6'8 you probably need an XXL. I am 6'6'' and and ride a Surly XXL ICT but I had to add a stem extender to prevent me from leaning over too far....this extension made a significant improvement in feel and the way I ride.

Will have to admit, the ICT can crawl over anything and everything but the Surly Bud/Lou tries are rough on pavement. However, you can change the tires to a less aggressive tread like the Surly Knard 4.8 which will help with the road but from what I have read the Knards are not good for deep snow.

When trail riding my fat bike is the only bike I use but if I replace the tires to Knards I would seriously consider only using my ICT as my primary bike.

I dont have a front suspension as I dont think it is needed as the large tires normalize the bumps but I may add one as I am riding more and more trails and less roads.
Old 03-31-18, 08:05 PM
laxpatrick

Bikes: Canyon, Gunnar, Speshes mtb and phat

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Nice! I find that I ride my fatbike a lot - gravel trails and picking up my 8YO from school on the trail-a-bike.

I'm your same height and found that the Specialized Fatboy was the best fit I could find. Many have super short top tube/reach so beware. I've had it for over two years and love the ride, feel like a kid on a bmx bike again.

LAXPatrick
Old 04-04-18, 11:12 AM
white pass

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride my fatbike a lot in the fall too (before the snow) and I love it for the simplicity (no suspension) in the back country but it's still comfortable, and it rolls over anything so I can pay more attention to the view than the trail.

You can also as has been suggested, run smaller rims/tires on it. One bike, but different options depending on your goal that week.

However, if your goal is to ride the GDMBR, you probably know the two most popular bikes on the line are the Salsa Fargo and Salsa Cutthroat, for a reason. I'd suggesting checking them out if you don't plan to do any winter/snow touring.
Old 04-05-18, 08:56 AM
Philphine

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
just reading out of curiousity (my fat bikes are cheapies, mostly cut up and turned into cruisers), but i'm just wondering at 6'8" how big a wheel/tire you can get on a dirty-sixer mountain bike (give it a quick google if you haven't heard of one). plus whatever tire you could could find/fit, i guess easy replacement availability would be a problem too.

Last edited by Philphine; 04-05-18 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-19-18, 10:39 AM
Clem von Jones

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Of course not. I care about rolling resistance and effort.
Kingston, since you have eleven bikes which of them do you consider indispensable if you had to pare down your collection to three or less? What would you consider the best choice for off-pavement touring?
Old 04-19-18, 11:51 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Clem von Jones
Kingston, since you have eleven bikes which of them do you consider indispensable if you had to pare down your collection to three or less?
If I could only keep one bike it would be my Rivendell Sam Hillborne. It's the most versatile of my bikes.

If I could keep three bikes I would add my old schwinn cruiser that I use for commuting to the train station, and my Jury that I use in the winter and bad weather.

Originally Posted by Clem von Jones
What would you consider the best choice for off-pavement touring?
Since my touring is in the Midwest, off-pavement just means gravel roads and dirt bike trails. If it's mostly roads with some gravel I take the Rivendell. If it's mostly dirt and gravel with some roads, I take the Miyata dirt-drop.
Old 04-20-18, 11:46 AM
Clem von Jones

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
If I could only keep one bike it would be my Rivendell Sam Hillborne. It's the most versatile of my bikes.

If I could keep three bikes I would add my old schwinn cruiser that I use for commuting to the train station, and my Jury that I use in the winter and bad weather.

Since my touring is in the Midwest, off-pavement just means gravel roads and dirt bike trails. If it's mostly roads with some gravel I take the Rivendell. If it's mostly dirt and gravel with some roads, I take the Miyata dirt-drop.
My attitude is similar to yours. I think 2" tires are generally adequate for off road use but recently I've become fascinated by ForestyForest's youtube video of touring the desert Southwest on a fatbike. He plows through some deep sand there but I wonder how often and whether he ever wishes he had lighter tires. It looks like a comfortable ride but it must be pretty slow going and grueling up the mountain passes.

Last edited by Clem von Jones; 04-20-18 at 11:59 AM.