Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Front derailler shifting

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Front derailler shifting

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-19, 01:25 PM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
Front derailler shifting

I'm wondering if my front derailler is slightly out of adjustment or if something else needs needs to be replaced like cables. It is difficult to shift from the small ring 34T to big ring 46T when in low rear cassette gears (first three gears or so). But FD shifts fine when rear is in higher gears (5-10). What I end up doing is to shift the rear to higher gears then shift the FD. It basically works but just a bit annoying. My components are Sram Apex 2x. Hoping to hear my FD sucks so I can go out and get a newer Force or at least a Rival.

What do you think?
Old 04-11-19, 01:33 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Lever end working easily, indexed? they do gum up with age ..
pull clean & re grease the die drawn cable , yet?

Old 04-11-19, 03:27 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by RockiesDad
I'm wondering if my front derailler is slightly out of adjustment or if something else needs needs to be replaced like cables. It is difficult to shift from the small ring 34T to big ring 46T when in low rear cassette gears (first three gears or so). But FD shifts fine when rear is in higher gears (5-10). What I end up doing is to shift the rear to higher gears then shift the FD. It basically works but just a bit annoying. My components are Sram Apex 2x. Hoping to hear my FD sucks so I can go out and get a newer Force or at least a Rival.

What do you think?
Search "cross chaining." A new [F]D will not change that, nevertheless, permission granted.

Last edited by AnkleWork; 04-13-19 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-11-19, 03:33 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,203 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by RockiesDad

What do you think?
Like most derailer related problems, it's probably the cable. Shift into the smallest ring and check the cable. If you can pull the cable away from the frame easily, the cable is too slack. Properly adjusted the cable should have a little bit of twang to it. Not super twangy but just enough.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!