Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What do you do with bicycles that are no longer used?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What do you do with bicycles that are no longer used?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-18, 11:24 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Mine live in the garage, along with my neighbor's unused bicycles. I think there's a few disassembled bicycles in the basement as well.

I really need to either build a few up or just make a donation.
Old 07-18-18, 12:03 PM
medic75

Bikes: '19 Trek Stache 5, '17 DB Hannjo Trail, '09 Scott CR1 Pro, Schwinn Central commuter, '16 DB El Oso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Put all of the unused bikes together in one place (basement, shed, garage, etc.). That way, when you bring a new bike home you can put it among the rest of them, and your wife won't notice.
Old 07-18-18, 12:08 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
My wife and I are relentless in our quest to minimize the clutter in our home. If it isn't functional, then it is sold, donated or discarded. This applies to books, clothing, garage items, sporting goods, or projects in the making. The "I'll get to that later" half-life is about 45 days.

So for any bike to move in, it must compete with the existing bikes for its place in the pecking order, else it will be whisked away with a sudden wind...

Someone will always take a working bicycle.
Old 07-18-18, 12:51 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
My wife and I are relentless in our quest to minimize the clutter in our home. If it isn't functional, then it is sold, donated or discarded. This applies to books, clothing, garage items, sporting goods, or projects in the making. The "I'll get to that later" half-life is about 45 days.

So for any bike to move in, it must compete with the existing bikes for its place in the pecking order, else it will be whisked away with a sudden wind...

Someone will always take a working bicycle.
I like this.

Simplicity in life is underrated.

I give a lot of stuff away.

-Tim-
Old 07-18-18, 01:39 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by medic75
Put all of the unused bikes together in one place (basement, shed, garage, etc.). That way, when you bring a new bike home you can put it among the rest of them, and your wife won't notice.
Strategic thinking. Good job. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-23-18, 12:06 PM
CharlieFree

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I sell or donate anything that's not being used. Bikes are meant to be used by someone, even if it's not me. If you have one in your town, the local bike co-op is a good place to give things to as they are usually in need of something.
Old 07-23-18, 12:12 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
By the time I'm done with a bike, there's not much chance of selling it...So I just pass 'em on.

The one exception might be my old LeMond...I might just hang on to that for sentimental reasons, even though it doesn't get ridden much anymore.
Old 07-23-18, 01:32 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlieFree
...If you have one in your town, the local bike co-op is a good place to give things to as they are usually in need of something.
Depends. I volunteer at a high volume big city Coop. 90% of the bikes that are donated to us are unsalvageable department store crap that should have been land filled immediately after manufacture. The are worthless junk and most of the folks who donate know it, but are too lazy to make that trip. So we have to haul vast loads of Murray, Huffys, etc. direct to the depot, consuming our valuable time, gas money, truck rental, and tipping fees. There is nothing on these bikes of any value to anyone.
Old 07-23-18, 03:36 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
I had a couple CL finds (Schwinn Passage and Miyata ST-215) that I'd refurbished. I gave one to a mechanic at the auto fix-it place I take my car. The other I gave to a nephew in hopes of getting him out of the house.

I have an old Santana tandem and a Bridgestone sport bike for which I need to find new homes, but I dislike the CL selling process and meeting potential buyers... I wish I could just find someone deserving to whom I could give them.
Old 07-24-18, 12:50 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
After I bought my daughter a new bike she stopped riding her old bike. Probably hasn't ridden it for over a year.
But when I tried to give it away to another family member, daughter had a little N + 1 hissy fit.
I guess it's now a family tradition to keep old bikes hanging in the garage.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 07-24-18, 07:27 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
on one of my old bikes, I used the fork as a truing stand for front wheels, until I got a real truing stand. My old bike that is still functional was sent to the trainer stand for a while, it has a broken front wheel (got run over) but is strong enough for the trainer.
Old 07-24-18, 08:32 PM
xrayzebra 
Very Verbose Member

Bikes: Surly Troll, Commencal Meta Power 29 Signature, old Specialized Hard Rock electrified, several restomod Schwinns, Biria Easy Board, Worksman trike electrified

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm sort of shocked that in a thread about "what do you do with used bikes?" nobody has yet said "Send 'em to me." For every three bikes that every person should have, isn't there also a rule that everybody should have three bikes they use and 6 more just sitting around? Unused get parts taken off of them so quickly around here that it's too much work to do anything but leave them where they are until I'm ready to rebuild them or take more stuff off of them.
Old 07-24-18, 11:35 PM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
I tend to detail my bikes a couple of times a week, whether I ride them or not. I’ve been into car detailing for a couple of decades so have lots of high-end car detailing products at home. I use some of these products on my bikes. It’s very therapeutic!
Old 07-25-18, 01:53 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts

I just stumbled across a photo of the crappy bike my daughter refused to let me get rid of, insisting on N + 1 for her too.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 07-25-18, 07:28 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
My bikes generally get ridden (or are in the process of rebuilding) or they will get sold or given to someone who can use them. Bikes as non-riding art just doesn't appeal I like to look at my bikes but also ride them at least every so often. If they frame is damaged and cannot be ridden then it could be used for art or cut up for a stool or something like that!
Old 07-26-18, 02:15 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I gave 4 away this spring.

I donated them to a fellow who gives them to refugees who need them for daily transportation. I could probably have realized a little money by selling them, but none of them had any original parts left on them and I'd rather feel good about donating them to somebody who needs a bike than haggling over the value of a bike that I've poured my soul into.

Only have 1 diamond frame bike left. It's a fixed gear conversion with near new Continental Gatorskin 28mm tires on it. The tires alone would probably cost $80.00 to replace. First serious offer gets it.
Old 07-26-18, 05:34 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 4,993 Times in 1,778 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
By the time I'm done with a bike, there's not much chance of selling it...So I just pass 'em on.

The one exception might be my old LeMond...I might just hang on to that for sentimental reasons, even though it doesn't get ridden much anymore.
RUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No Lemond should be neglected.

Take that sucker out and ride it!
Old 07-28-18, 04:46 PM
avmech

Bikes: 2003 Trek 5200, 2015 Trek X-Caliber 8, 2018 Trek Domane SL 6

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Either sell or donate to our local charity that fixes and donates to underprivileged people (they sell some of the bikes too, in order to buy parts for other bikes to be donated).