Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Folks who use Trek/Bontrager's DuoTrap S speed/cadence sensor, please step inside...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Folks who use Trek/Bontrager's DuoTrap S speed/cadence sensor, please step inside...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-15, 03:03 PM
floridamtb

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Trek Madone 4.5, Trek X-Caliber

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RNAV
I need to gather some data points, and am requesting your help. Essentially, I need to know if you're having any connectivity issues with your DuoTrap S sensor and your cycling computer.

The problem: I get multiple speed dropouts per ride, where my Garmin will show a speed of 0 mph, it will auto-pause, and then immediately auto-resume and register my existing speed . . . all while still moving.

To Trek's credit, they've replaced my DuoTrap S sensor multiple times under warranty, but I still have the same issue. With the last sensor replacement, they connected it to a different Garmin unit than mine . . . and that unit didn't display any problems. So Trek thinks it's the Garmin. I've contacted Garmin support, and they think the problem is the sensor. I've heard from other members here who are having the same problem, but no one can seem to pinpoint whether the problem is with Garmin, or with the DuoTrap S.

Does anyone here with a DuoTrap S not have connectivity problems with their cycling computer? I haven't heard from anyone yet who has said their unit works flawlessly. Thanks for your help!
Not had any issues, of course only had the Garmin and Duotrap for 2 weeks now. But on a side note I see you're from Pensacola and have a C-130 avatar, you an airdale?
Old 05-12-15, 04:05 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
Over 500 miles and not a single problem.
Old 05-12-15, 06:10 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by floridamtb
Not had any issues, of course only had the Garmin and Duotrap for 2 weeks now. But on a side note I see you're from Pensacola and have a C-130 avatar, you an airdale?
I'm an AF flight instructor stationed at a Navy base. Can't complain about the location at all
Old 05-12-15, 06:18 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Originally Posted by DonBjr
Any luck? I've just read this. I might try sliding the magnet around on the spoke a bit. On mine, the magnet it comes with is close, but never touches no matter what the position. Maybe there's a position where it will work better. Might also be some interference from the cadence magnet, so an adjustment there might help too.
Work/life issues have kept me from regular rides recently, but I did apply your suggestion with limited success.

I have a very thin magnet that I super-glued to the spoke and have increased spatial distance between the magnet and the sensor. I've only gone on two rides with this setup, and have only experienced one drop out per ride. That's a pretty significant decrease in drop outs. I'm going to try moving the magnet to the opposite side of the spoke and see if that improves things.

I'll be sure to report back once I've gathered some more data. Fingers crossed!
Old 05-12-15, 06:37 PM
floridamtb

I'm an AF flight instructor stationed at a Navy base. Can't complain about the location at all
Awesome! I went through Naval Aircrew school there in 1986. Son went through 5 years ago and then Rescue Swimmer School. Pensacola is an awesome duty station. Fly safe my friend!
Old 05-12-15, 06:39 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Originally Posted by floridamtb
Awesome! I went through Naval Aircrew school there in 1986. Son went through 5 years ago and then Rescue Swimmer School. Pensacola is an awesome duty station. Fly safe my friend!
Wilco -- thanks for your family's service!
Old 05-13-15, 09:57 AM
floridamtb

Wilco -- thanks for your family's service!
Likewise! You know I thought it was an accomplishment when I got my Naval Aircrew Wings, but that pales in comparison to having the same wings that were pinned on me pinned on my son. I hope you get to experience that someday if you have a son or daughter.
Old 06-14-15, 01:08 PM
Dingman 

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So, what's the deal with my Duotrap2 increasing my mileage by ridiculous amounts. It'll track fine for several rides, then track properly for the beginning of the ride, then at some point, it'll go from say 30 miles to 150 miles. It's done this 3 times in about 600 miles. New bike, about 2 months old.

EDIT: The numbers vary, it's not increasing by the same specific amount. My first theory is that it's hooking up to other Duotraps while parked at a busy bike stand - but that's a guess and I've done no research other than this post.

I am a senior tech and can troubleshoot things like this, so I might have to do it, or maybe there's an answer here already.

Last edited by Dingman; 06-14-15 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-14-15, 01:39 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
My gf has a new duo trap and it has been a nightmare. Sometimes it just won't pick up the sensors and sometimes it picks up the sensor then loses it then picks it up then.....well you get the idea. I hate the thing.
Old 06-29-15, 02:53 PM
Jeps

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have been searching for others with this issue - happy to see I am not alone...although it doesn't give much hope. I have a 56cm Emonda with the DTS and use it with a Suunto Ambit 2s. Like someone else with the same setup reports, the Ambit doesn't drop speed fully, but rather appear to miss every other or even 2/3 of the wheel spins thereby cutting the speed to half or one third (see attached pic). Extremely annoying.

I run Shimano RS81, and the original spoke magnet is almost touching the sensor (is actually touching sometimes when I really go at it uphill). Would be great to hear if you are able to solve your issue by moving the magnet away from the sensor RNAV. I maybe need to go see a bike doctor to get something else fitted.
Attached Images
Old 06-29-15, 03:21 PM
Up North

Bikes: P1 Domane Di2, SLR Emonda Di2, Trek Farley 9 Fatbike

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Running two bikes, one with 1st gen duo trap and one with newest version. Using both with Garmin 810. No issues in 2.5 years 10,000 + klms.
Old 06-29-15, 04:55 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
Never a problem for me.

DTS 1 on my Madone 4 with both Bontrager Race and Easton EC90SL
DTS 2 on my Emonda SLR with both Bontrager Race and Zipp 303.
Old 06-29-15, 06:58 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Originally Posted by Jeps
Would be great to hear if you are able to solve your issue by moving the magnet away from the sensor RNAV. I maybe need to go see a bike doctor to get something else fitted.
After a couple hundred miles, I can say I've improved the problem, but not eliminated it. I went to a slimmer magnet, still had issues. Put the magnet on the other side of the spoke (facing the drive side), and the sensor wouldn't read. Added a second magnet to the inside, and it reads, but drops on average about once per 40 miles. Add a third magnet to the inside, and the drops begin increasing per 40 miles.

So for now, I've got two slim magnets on the drive-side of a non-drive-side spoke, and living with a speed drop of once per 40 miles (ish).
Old 04-13-20, 04:18 PM
ggswanson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need to gather some data points, and am requesting your help. Essentially, I need to know if you're having any connectivity issues with your DuoTrap S sensor and your cycling computer.

The problem: I get multiple speed dropouts per ride, where my Garmin will show a speed of 0 mph, it will auto-pause, and then immediately auto-resume and register my existing speed . . . all while still moving.

To Trek's credit, they've replaced my DuoTrap S sensor multiple times under warranty, but I still have the same issue. With the last sensor replacement, they connected it to a different Garmin unit than mine . . . and that unit didn't display any problems. So Trek thinks it's the Garmin. I've contacted Garmin support, and they think the problem is the sensor. I've heard from other members here who are having the same problem, but no one can seem to pinpoint whether the problem is with Garmin, or with the DuoTrap S.

Does anyone here with a DuoTrap S not have connectivity problems with their cycling computer? I haven't heard from anyone yet who has said their unit works flawlessly. Thanks for your help!
This is an old thread but I've recently had the same problem. Suddenly the speed will drop in and out constantly. It will read cadence properly, but not speed. But it has worked fine your years. I've just put on a new wheel magnet and will see if that helps.
Old 04-13-20, 04:34 PM
avmech

Bikes: 2003 Trek 5200, 2015 Trek X-Caliber 8, 2018 Trek Domane SL 6

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Duotrap S on a 2018 Trek Domane tied into a Cateye Padrone Smart+. Zero issues to date.
Old 04-30-20, 08:17 PM
SUNCOAST

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 6, Specialized Tarmac SL6 Expert D.A., Niner RLT 9 Steel, Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 2017 Trek Domane SLR 6 with the DuoTrap sensor. I have over 7K miles on that bike and up until recently, I had no problems with the speed and or cadence dropping out. Now, I have those intermittent problems! I am using a Wahoo Element Bolt. So, after reading the preceding posts, I doubt it has anything to do with the head unit but, is in fact the DuoTrap itself. I use the same Bolt computer on three other bikes with Wahoo sensors and or power meters with no problems. I've tried various troubleshooting ideas as expressed in this forum to no consistent avail.

I'll be watching this thread...
Old 05-01-20, 06:00 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
DuoTrap on 2017 Domane using Wahoo Elemnt, never had that problem. But, is it just me or is the only way to replace the battery to first take the rear wheel off? I can't seem to get an allen wrench in when the wheel is on, maybe a flex cable type tool?

Of course, if I went with the Wahoo RPM cadence sensor I use on another bike, I'd be clipping and replacing zip ties to change the battery...
Old 06-11-21, 12:49 AM
adaptev

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello - this is my first post on this forum... am riding a brand new 2021 Domane SLR9, size 58, which came with integrated DuoTrap S - using my (almost new) Wahoo Elemnt Roam. This thread is the closest I can find which explains the symptoms I'm having. I've used the Roam on my older Trek, and never had an issue, with an old school Bontrager Interchange sensor . For the past few rides on this new bike, with no correlation to location, cadence, speed, weather, the data simply gets dropped intermittently... either not being recorded and not transmitting, or just not transmitting... but only intermittently. To give you a sense of severity... our regular 42km ride has suddenly become a ~37km ride. I've done all the usual trouble-shooting... I've had no problems pairing, multiple times forget/reconnect etc. The Elemnt Roam has the latest software patch etc. My DuoTrap firmware version is 5.4 and hardware version 4. I've tried my local shop, but to no avail. I recognise this thread has gone quiet, but I'm hoping there's still a chance someone has conjured up a solution. Thanks... for other Domane fans on the forum, the new bike is a stunningly beautiful ride, very satisfied Trek customer aside from this little annoyance.
Old 06-11-21, 10:58 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I also have the Duo Trap S on my Domane and I get dropouts all the time. It never occurred to me it was the Duo Trap as my two Garmins 820 and 830 are buggy as heck. You would think after six years since this thread was started Trek would have this problem fixed.
Old 06-11-21, 01:17 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,185 Times in 2,226 Posts
my wife has a 2021 domane al3, I installed the duo tap and bought her the bontrager elite cycling computer. She hasn’t had any issues with connectivity.
Old 06-11-21, 02:47 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
I had issues with mine when I bought them. It was the Batteries. Once I replaced with new batteries, they have worked flawlessly. Also, if you are using the crank arm band, you might just pop out the magnet and put it on the back side of your pedal as I found that with 170mm crank arms just put me on the edge of the cadence sweet spot. Once I moved the magnet, the cadence has never had any issues getting picked up with my Wahoo Roam.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 06-11-21 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-14-21, 04:35 AM
Dingman 

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I had issues with mine when I bought them. It was the Batteries. Once I replaced with new batteries, they have worked flawlessly. Also, if you are using the crank arm band, you might just pop out the magnet and put it on the back side of your pedal as I found that with 170mm crank arms just put me on the edge of the cadence sweet spot. Once I moved the magnet, the cadence has never had any issues getting picked up with my Wahoo Roam.
But that's not the sensor he's talking about. He's losing the mileage, from the wheel sensor.
I gave up on my Duotrap - I never did figure out what the problem was, and I tried a totally new unit with new batteries. Mine would loose connection at random times and never hook back up unless manually triggered.
Mainly, mine would lose connection when at a bike stop, with a million other bikes around.
Moved to a Gramin (way more $) and it works great, no issues at all.