Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What is the correct nomenclature for this type of stem wedge nut?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What is the correct nomenclature for this type of stem wedge nut?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-23, 05:41 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Death cone?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-25-23, 05:52 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 1,820 Times in 662 Posts
Bad Leg wrote: Quill - The hollow stem-like main shaft of a feather.

A quill-shaped stem and expander can be used on a bicycle.

Holy cow, thanks, I never new the meaning behind it. I just figured it was invented by Peter Quill or something.
Old 02-25-23, 06:20 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
on a 22.0 (French) or 21.1 (0.833" American style) stem

Sorry to go off topic briefly, but this interests me. And it's still about stems. My 84 Schwinn LeTour Luxe has a smaller than normal stem. I had always thought it was 0.833. Can anyone confirm this? I have only an analog caliper, and am in the process of making arrangements for Lasik eye surgery (I can't see for ****, even with glasses). TIA
Originally Posted by uncle uncle
I just looked at a stem from what I think is an 81 Schwinn Le Tour, which has a smaller-than-normal diameter for the portion of the stem that slips inside the fork tube, and it's marked SR (Sakae Ringyo) and .833 diameter on it's length. Hope this helps you out.
The .833 stem is a very American thing, that you can find on all the Schwinn electro forged and fillet brazed bikes for example, and persisted on BMX. I see it some places listed as "13/16ths" but it's not satisfyingly close enough to that.

Here are a ton of them
https://www.bmxguru.com/collections/stems-quill
Old 02-25-23, 06:29 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3198 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 1,163 Posts
Originally Posted by uncle uncle
I just looked at a stem from what I think is an 81 Schwinn Le Tour (it's a Le Tour, just not exactly sure of the specific year), which has a smaller-than-normal diameter for the portion of the stem that slips inside the fork tube, and it's marked SR (Sakae Ringyo) and .833 diameter on it's length. Hope this helps you out.
Thanks. It confirms what I thought.
Old 02-25-23, 08:36 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
on a 22.0 (French) or 21.1 (0.833" American style) stem
My 84 Schwinn LeTour Luxe has a smaller than normal stem. I had always thought it was 0.833. Can anyone confirm this?
I'm shocked to see this kinda dumb "standard" was still in use as late as '84, I thought by then it had been consigned to the dustbin of history. I have 3 older Schwinns with it, a '33, a '71 and a '73. Never expected to see it in the '80s, but by then I had stopped paying attention to Schwinn.

Nothing wrong with it functionally, just parts availability or interchangeability. Schwinn did a lot of good in the American bike industry, but some dumb stuff too.

Mark "22.2 FTW"
Old 02-26-23, 07:18 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 407 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Exactly! We want it to 'seize' to a certain extent in that location - if it's loosey-goosey, a trip to the emergency room looms...DD
I'll defer to your expertise on that. I would have thought the "desired friction" would have been the stem-to-steerer interface, the stem-to-expander interface less so. Time for me to ponder more deeply...

Old 02-26-23, 02:57 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Originally Posted by tiger1964
I'll defer to your expertise on that. I would have thought the "desired friction" would have been the stem-to-steerer interface, the stem-to-expander interface less so. Time for me to ponder more deeply...
Well you can imagine, if the threads had more friction than the cone-to-stem interface, then the cone would just spin as you tried to tighten it.
That's why some stems had a key on the cone that rode in the slit in the stem, to keep the cone from spinning. Not exactly necessary, most stems got away without one, but I think it's a good feature.
Old 02-26-23, 04:19 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
The .833 stem is a very American thing, that you can find on all the Schwinn electro forged and fillet brazed bikes for example, and persisted on BMX. I see it some places listed as "13/16ths" but it's not satisfyingly close enough to that.

Here are a ton of them
https://www.bmxguru.com/collections/stems-quill
It's 5/6". 5/6 = 0.833333333 . . . . " . Rounded to 3 decimal places, that's 0.833".
Old 02-26-23, 06:50 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by bulgie
I'm shocked to see this kinda dumb "standard" was still in use as late as '84, I thought by then it had been consigned to the dustbin of history.
Why standards take hold and persist is a funny thing. Reynolds using imperial Standard Wire Gauge for tubing thickness is pretty random too. So many bike "standards" are not just inch diameters but also four flavors of gauge thicknesses turned into metric

What looks weird to me is seeing it on a Le Tour. Maybe it was a Greenville, not Asian?

Originally Posted by Hondo6
It's 5/6". 5/6 = 0.833333333 . . . . " . Rounded to 3 decimal places, that's 0.833".
That's true but it's got to be a math coincidence. It corresponds to a US tubing gauge. That definitely feels like why it would be used on BMX bikes with their straight chromoly tubing or Super Sports or on 1930's bikes. Why on Varsity bikes, though? I thought their tubing was made in house out of strips of sheet and you'd think they'd be US sheet metal gauge
Old 02-26-23, 07:57 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawginsc
On the other hand, an aluminum cone seems like a recipe for stuck-age.
FWIW, Arnold Industries made aluminum stem bolts and cones for the weight-weenie crowd:
Old 02-26-23, 09:17 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked 3,130 Times in 1,969 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
FWIW, Arnold Industries made aluminum stem bolts and cones for the weight-weenie crowd:
Pretty elegant for a piece that no one ever sees.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 02-26-23, 10:38 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I had a custom stem made to the usual English standard and hit fail! immediately when I tried to put it in my Schwinn LeTour of early '80s vintage. (Didn't come with papers and I wasn't yet very Google savvy.)

Stem bolt torque. The amount needed is very low. Unless you have heavy panniers or the like, a sudden real side force on the handlebars is gong to cause all kinds of bad stuff even if you stem doesn't slip. High enough torque to cause any kind of issues of stick later is far mor than you need unless you opted to go without grease. And that is a place where there is no such thing as too much grease. (Other than the mess you encounter later when you take it apart. )

I love quill stems because the quill bolt torque is so non-critical. On-the-road stem height changes are no big deal at all (providing grease was used liberally and muscles sparingly and a rock or the equivalent is handy).
Old 02-27-23, 07:58 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 407 Posts
Well you can imagine, if the threads had more friction than the cone-to-stem interface, then the cone would just spin as you tried to tighten it.
That's why some stems had a key on the cone that rode in the slit in the stem, to keep the cone from spinning. Not exactly necessary, most stems got away without one, but I think it's a good feature.
Now you've done it! Now I have to pull all the stems up on my bikes and inspect, as I do not recall. I had presumed all had the "keying".

Old 02-27-23, 08:54 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
That's true but it's got to be a math coincidence. It corresponds to a US tubing gauge. That definitely feels like why it would be used on BMX bikes with their straight chromoly tubing or Super Sports or on 1930's bikes. Why on Varsity bikes, though? I thought their tubing was made in house out of strips of sheet and you'd think they'd be US sheet metal gauge.

What looks weird to me is seeing it on a Le Tour. Maybe it was a Greenville, not Asian?

That's true but it's got to be a math coincidence. It corresponds to a US tubing gauge. That definitely feels like why it would be used on BMX bikes with their straight chromoly tubing or Super Sports or on 1930's bikes. Why on Varsity bikes, though? I thought their tubing was made in house out of strips of sheet and you'd think they'd be US sheet metal gauge
It may or may not be coincidence. But math-wise, 0.833" is (to 3 decimal places) 5/6".

I've read that Schwinn was more concerned with reliability than weight for decades on everything except their extreme high end bikes. Thicker steerer tubes would have contributed to increased reliability.

FWIW: per multiple sources I consulted, you're correct in saying that 14-gauge steel tubing today has a wall thickness of 0.083" - or an ID of 5/6" for a 1" OD tube. If that were also the case "back in the day", Schwinn (and other manufacturers) could simply have ordered 14-gauge tubing in mild steel for their steerer tubes vice "rolling their own." Schwinn might have looked at it, decided that ordering tubing for steerers from an outside supplier was more cost-effective than making their own due to the smallish quantities involved compared to frames, and decided to use standard 14-gauge mild steel tubing from an outside supplier. Dunno.

Schwinn started outsourcing some parts to Japan as early as the 1970s bike boom. My guess is that you might see 21.1mm stems on some Japanese-made Schwinns because of standards inertia - e.g., Schwinn specified the same headset/stem/steerer standards there as on their lower-end US bikes for compatibility purposes with existing dealer spare parts inventories. Dunno for sure there, either.

Last edited by Hondo6; 02-27-23 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-27-23, 09:03 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 1,820 Times in 662 Posts
Hey Uncle x2

im at the co-op

you needed stuff

Text message me

Old 02-27-23, 09:46 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
Hey Uncle x2

im at the co-op

you needed stuff

Text message me

^ My stem looked like this, same manufacturer and model, except it was 70 mm in extension length. I was unsuccessful in retrieving any portion of it from the shop I left it at; they replaced it with a "no name" stem, with a bit short extension length (around 65 mm as I measure it).
Old 03-02-23, 12:26 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
I'm shocked to see this kinda dumb "standard" was still in use as late as '84, I thought by then it had been consigned to the dustbin of history. I have 3 older Schwinns with it, a '33, a '71 and a '73. Never expected to see it in the '80s, but by then I had stopped paying attention to Schwinn.

Nothing wrong with it functionally, just parts availability or interchangeability. Schwinn did a lot of good in the American bike industry, but some dumb stuff too.

Mark "22.2 FTW"
I've learned to trust Schwinn's methods over many year's time, but hadn't much thought about the bmx diameter quill situation until now.

I conclude that it wasn't dumb at all!

Given that Schwinn made bikes that maintained durability over a longer-than-typical period of time and use, this quill diameter was completely consistent with that.

Consider that many riders ignore height limit lines, and that older stems had no height limit lines. Also consider that many riders in those days tended to severely over-tighten bolts on bicycles. The considerable added steerer wall thickness below the root of the threads would seem to dramatically increase the working life of this sometimes-fragile threaded portion of the steerer when the .833" ID was used.

Compare Schwinn's approach to a surprising number of other makers who used 22.2mm ID steerers that had threads extending far below the headset's mating threads, which is comparatively very weak/unreliable/unsafe when the stem is raised to only it's limit line.

Schwinn I think was exceedingly conscientious about durability and safety, which probably had lots to do with the frequency of liability claims in the US in addition to Schwinn's "last-a-lifetime" durability philosophy.
Old 03-02-23, 12:55 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Originally Posted by dddd
I've learned to trust Schwinn's methods over many year's time, but hadn't much thought about the bmx diameter quill situation until now.

I conclude that it wasn't dumb at all!

Given that Schwinn made bikes that maintained durability over a longer-than-typical period of time and use, this quill diameter was completely consistent with that.

Consider that many riders ignore height limit lines, and that older stems had no height limit lines. Also consider that many riders in those days tended to severely over-tighten bolts on bicycles. The considerable added steerer wall thickness below the root of the threads would seem to dramatically increase the working life of this sometimes-fragile threaded portion of the steerer when the .833" ID was used.

Compare Schwinn's approach to a surprising number of other makers who used 22.2mm ID steerers that had threads extending far below the headset's mating threads, which is comparatively very weak/unreliable/unsafe when the stem is raised to only it's limit line.

Schwinn I think was exceedingly conscientious about durability and safety, which probably had lots to do with the frequency of liability claims in the US in addition to Schwinn's "last-a-lifetime" durability philosophy.
Agreed, a thicker steerer has advantages when the steel is weak and the manufacturing standards (like thread length) are unreliable. But on a quality bike with alloy steel tubes and the right number of threads, it's unnecessary and a bit infuriating.

When I replaced the garbage Schwinn Ashtabula fork on my '71 Twinn tandem, I used an MTB fork, coincidentally(?) off an '80s Schwinn MTB. The MTB fork takes a 22.2 stem like God intended, and it is nevertheless quite adequate, and I daresay probably much stronger. The Twinn fork was so flexible that we couldn't stand up to pedal without the tire rubbing on the fork blades — both sides, alternately with each pedal stroke. The tire also rubbed on the fork when making a tight turn, like a U-turn in the street at walking speed. The wheel would just flop over. Nothing was broken or loose, just incredibly flexible side-to-side. For those who don't know, those fork blades aren't even tubes, they are flat plates of solid steel, not hollow.

I'm a Schwinn fan, mostly (like I say, I own 3 of them), but there are things they did that make me say "hmmm...".

Mark B