Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Cheap (read "vintage") bicycles change lives

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-23, 12:01 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts

Just some vintage bicycle love coming from the most earnest soul of vintage bicycle love... need. That need for transportation. That need for connection.

Old 10-14-23, 10:32 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 410 Posts
Badass! Everything she talks about is true, there's nothing quite like going around a city on a bike and allowing yourself to adventure around. Great inspirational video.
Likes For Piff:
Old 10-15-23, 07:03 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
Very good. Many of us would echo her experience. I love "urban riding" and sometimes take my road bikes into the city to ride, rather than the MUP. It's fun to get out and see what's going on at street level.

That's not really a "cheap" bike though - it's a very decent quality Yohota road bike, that she was lucky enough to buy on the cheap. Big difference. I think her experience would be less satisfying on a cheap BSO. It stops being fun when your cheap bicycle constantly needs adjustment or things go wrong, and it becomes more trouble than its worth. She either had a good eye for quality, or just got lucky.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 10-15-23, 10:17 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3199 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 1,163 Posts
Agreed. I cut my teeth riding in Sacramento in the 70s. It was a city made for cycling. I now live outside of Merida, Yucatán, where I used to cycle, but don’t expect to again anytime soon.
Likes For seedsbelize2:
Old 10-16-23, 03:29 PM
VintageRide

Bikes: 1970 Gitane TDF; 1985 Norco Magnum GT ; 2013 Rawland Stag ; 1981 Fuji 650b; Early '80's Kuwahara Cascade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 55 Posts
Where i live in the Lower Mainland ( Burnaby ) there is always somewhere to ride, from the North Shore to Richmond and in between and all of my riding is a combination of urban and suburban. Always looking for an area or streets I have not yet explored. During the early 1970's bike boom when I was just in my teens there was barely a day I was not out on a bike taking in as much of Winnipeg, where I grew up.
Likes For VintageRide:
Old 10-16-23, 04:04 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
Bicycling completely redirected my life. I have had dyspraxia ("clumsy child syndrome" is the politically incorrect term) since infancy. I didn't walk until I was past age 2, and I wasn't able to figure out how to balance a bicycle until age 12, after which I was instantly hooked on the freedom of mobility afforded by two wheels. Suddenly there was a sport I actually enjoyed, first on a $15 two-speed Schwinn American "middleweight" (to be charitable), then on a bottom-of-the-line Bianchi road bike. During my high school years I started exploring other neighborhoods, visiting friends, shopping for electronics parts and hardware for my projects. Cycling become more intense during my undergrad years at UCLA, culminating in a 12-hour double century (my one big athletic achievement in life) a week after I graduated. I owe my current high level of cardio fitness to 120,000 cumulative miles of bicycling, always on relatively inexpensive machinery, usually purchased used.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 10-16-23, 04:35 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Very good. Many of us would echo her experience. I love "urban riding" and sometimes take my road bikes into the city to ride, rather than the MUP. It's fun to get out and see what's going on at street level.

That's not really a "cheap" bike though - it's a very decent quality Yohota road bike, that she was lucky enough to buy on the cheap. Big difference. I think her experience would be less satisfying on a cheap BSO. It stops being fun when your cheap bicycle constantly needs adjustment or things go wrong, and it becomes more trouble than its worth. She either had a good eye for quality, or just got lucky.
I agree with everything you wrote Jeff... I think the chewy nugget center of the story wasn't necessarily a "cheap bike", but a competent bicycle gotten for a respectable price that accomplishes all that the rider asks of it. The expense of buying even a entry level new bicycle might be outside the budget of many a potential bicycle rider, and I'd hate for money to be the reason someone skipped trying bicycling. I enjoy vintage bicycles, but I love riding bicycles more... I try to be an advocate for both.
Likes For uncle uncle:
Old 10-17-23, 04:23 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
I work with (when I can) and donate to a bike charity that this is focus focus for

they have given away 10,000 bikes in 13 years https://goodkarmabikes.org/donor-impact-stories/

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 10-17-23, 07:37 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
Nicely done, a familiar story for many of us. I met my wife in a bike shop where she dropped off an 88 Yokota MTN bike for repairs.

I rode a variety of 'middling' vintage road bikes over time, Norco's Miele's, Supercourse's Bianchi's C-dales etc for commuting. The late 80's were great. Decent bikes everywhere, cheap.

Last edited by clubman; 10-17-23 at 07:44 PM.
Likes For clubman:
Old 10-17-23, 11:24 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
A girl that uses down tube shifters and expresses gratitude for her bike (of all things) at Thanksgiving dinner? What's not to like?
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 10-18-23, 08:02 AM
Jeff Neese

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
A girl that uses down tube shifters and expresses gratitude for her bike (of all things) at Thanksgiving dinner? What's not to like?
She's a "keeper" for some lucky fellow, for sure. I bet based on that one video, she's getting marriage proposals from all over.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 10-18-23, 08:44 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
thanks to the OP for posting this. I enjoyed it.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 10-18-23, 10:49 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
+1! That may have been a fairly high end bike but many very decent bikes came out of Japan in the late '70s and '80s that her experience could have happened on. Three of my ongoing line of winter/rain/city fix gears. Her bike also came from what I call the "glory years" where there was as close to one standard for tubing, threads, fits, etc as cycling has or will ever see. If she crashed that bike, she could have gone back to the seller and bought another frame. He could have swapped the parts over in hours. No-brainer.

I didn't pay much attention to the bike. What I saw was the fit. Sometimes I think bikes talk to us or look after us. I think that one called out to her. "You want me!" And first ride - it felt right. She certainly looked very comfortable on it.

It wouldn't occur to me to thank my bike(s) at Thanksgiving but I do all the time quietly to myself. I have several where I feel that same joy.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 10-19-23, 04:35 AM
Jeff Neese

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
+1! That may have been a fairly high end bike but many very decent bikes came out of Japan in the late '70s and '80s that her experience could have happened on. Three of my ongoing line of winter/rain/city fix gears. Her bike also came from what I call the "glory years" where there was as close to one standard for tubing, threads, fits, etc as cycling has or will ever see. If she crashed that bike, she could have gone back to the seller and bought another frame. He could have swapped the parts over in hours. No-brainer.

I didn't pay much attention to the bike. What I saw was the fit. Sometimes I think bikes talk to us or look after us. I think that one called out to her. "You want me!" And first ride - it felt right. She certainly looked very comfortable on it.

It wouldn't occur to me to thank my bike(s) at Thanksgiving but I do all the time quietly to myself. I have several where I feel that same joy.
I agree about Japanese bikes of that era. Even "budget" models were still well made, reliable, and serviceable.

I think the unsung hero of this story is the guy who sold her the bike, operating out of a storage container and putting together usable bicycles for people on a budget. I'd like to see more stories of people he's sold bikes to, and how the bicycles enhanced their life too.

I wouldn't thank my bikes at Thanksgiving either, but am certainly thankful for the physical ability to ride them. Many people can't. Be thankful for your legs.
Likes For Jeff Neese: