Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The greatest day in cycling

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-04, 07:23 PM
waterboy

Bikes: Trek 5.2, Rocky mountain Hammer, K2 Cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No, not another tour win by LA, not another "best time", not even a good ride in the sun with friends. For me it was last weekend when my daughter dropped the training wheels!

The whole day was magical. Watching her face as she gained confidence rolling down a grass hill, overcoming fear, and feeling the joy of accomplishment. The next day we went out again (at her begging) and her body remembered, even if the mind was a bit timid. Am I a proud dad? Absolutely! But seeing your little one make a step towards independence of any kind (reading, brushing teeth- doesn't matter) is always special.

It was a great reminder of how damn fun it is just to ride. Forget about carbon this and Chorus that- its just fun to go spin the pedals. Sometimes it takes a six year old to remind me (us?) of that.

The bike is truly one of mans greatest accomplishments.
Old 12-21-04, 07:36 PM
bhchdh 

Bikes: '07 Trek 520, '09 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '88 Trek 660, '92 Trek 930, Trek Multitrack 700

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here Here. Well said. I had to remove my daughter's training wheels, when I noticed she was riding other kids bikes that did not have training wheels.
Old 12-21-04, 07:58 PM
allgoo19
Deported by koffee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't agree more. You don't have to be a dad to appliciate it. When I see someone, or some neighbor kids, some handicappped person, (can be myself) work at something over and over and finally accomlishes his or her goal, it's very heart warming. I still remember the first time, bicycle riding that is. It was at the neighborhood park. My brother helped me. He thought it was easier for me to try it on down hill because I didn't have to pedal, but actually I was scared even more because the bike would start rolling without me pedaling. Since then, many, many years had past.
Old 12-21-04, 11:54 PM
Schumius
senile member

Bikes: 1 mtb converted for commuting (actually, collecting dust in the garage), a LHT with "durable components"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
congrats! sometimes simple is unbeatible, isnīt it?
Old 12-22-04, 05:25 AM
cwodave
Not Green, Celeste!!!

Bikes: Bianchi Eros

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Time for a new helmet and road bike for the young lass. That really is a gtreat day.

Dave
Old 12-22-04, 06:22 AM
Bop Bop
The Iceman cometh!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife and I are giving our 4 year old graddaugter a "two wheeler" with training wheels for Christmas. I can not wait until I can take the training wheels off (probably a year or so) and she can ride with me.
Old 12-22-04, 07:11 AM
bnet1
'Bent Brian

Bikes: Trek 1000, Rans Tailwind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AH yesss. That "just learning to ride" feeling. Went through it the first few times I rode my new 'bent. Cherish the "no training wheels" moments with your kids. Take pictures. these are memories you will all keep for a life time. They grow up so fast.

'bent Brian
Old 12-22-04, 09:32 AM
rule

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Way to go Dad!