Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wider tire on a 26 x 1.75 rim?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-16, 06:09 PM
GrandaddyBiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am looking at a wheel from Amazon that is a 26 x 1.75 rim. Can I mount a 26 x 2.35 tire on that rim?

If not, what is the biggest tire I can put on that rim?
Old 10-29-16, 07:16 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Link?
Old 10-29-16, 07:21 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Probably, that tire will be OK on that rim, but it really depends on the inside width of the rim.
Clearance between the tire and frame/fork is a separate issue.
Old 10-29-16, 07:45 PM
GrandaddyBiker

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AnkleWork
Probably, that tire will be OK on that rim, but it really depends on the inside width of the rim.
Clearance between the tire and frame/fork is a separate issue.

I know the 26 x 2.35 tire will clear the frame/fork because that is what came on the bike when it was new. What I am trying to do is change the wheel from a 7 speed freewheel to a 9 speed cassette, without changing the tire size that is on the bike now.
Old 10-29-16, 08:21 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
That would be an excellent fit.
Old 10-30-16, 10:14 AM
Bezalel

Bikes: Raleigh Companion, Nashbar Touring, Novara DiVano, Trek FX 7.1, Giant Upland

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
26x1.75 is not a proper rim size, it's just a vendor's recommendation as to what size tire would be an ideal fit. There is some leeway when it comes to tire widths and a 2.35 tire can be mounted but there might be some longevity issues.

Can you link to the wheel in question? Or does the listing identify the exact rim used?

26x1 3/4 is different than 26x1.75 and rims made for 26x1 3/4 tires will not work with a 26x2.35 tire. Since you are dealing with a 9-speed conversion this is unlikely to be an issue.
Old 01-11-24, 07:18 AM
Dizzy1313

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bezalel

26x1 3/4 is different than 26x1.75 and rims made for 26x1 3/4 tires will not work with a 26x2.35 tire. Since you are dealing with a 9-speed conversion this is unlikely to be an issue.
🤔 26x1 3/4 is exactly the same thing as 26x1.75. Also I’ve been swapping back and forth between those exact 2 tire sizes on the same wheel for years and years. Most mountain bike tires are way too wide for the wheel they are on anyways, so going down a couple sizes in width is never an issue.
Old 01-11-24, 08:43 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
Originally Posted by Dizzy1313
🤔 26x1 3/4 is exactly the same thing as 26x1.75. Also I’ve been swapping back and forth between those exact 2 tire sizes on the same wheel for years and years. Most mountain bike tires are way too wide for the wheel they are on anyways, so going down a couple sizes in width is never an issue.
Not true, The width is the same but the diameter may not be and not interchangeable. Use the ISO metric measurements listed on the tires for a proper match.

From Sheldon Browns Site: "Note that the inch-based designations sometimes express the width in a decimal (26 x 1.75) and sometimes as a common fraction (26 x 1 3/4). This is the most common cause of mismatches. Although these size designations are mathematically equal, they refer to different size tires, which are NOT interchangeable. It is dangerous to generalize when talking about tire sizing, but I would confidently state the following:

Brown's Law Of Tire Sizing:

If two tires are marked with sizes that are mathematically equal,
but one is expressed as a decimal and the other as a fraction,
these two tires will not be interchangeable.

The ISO/E.T.R.T.O. System

In the late 1970s, the European Tyre and Rim Technical Organization (E.T.R.T.O) devised a solution to this mess, with markings which indicate the size of the rim, not the outer diameter of the tire. This makes the E.T.R.T.O. system the most reliable guide to which tire will fit which rim. The International Standards Organization (I.S.O) adopted this system.The key ISO/E.T.R.T.O. dimension is a three digit number known as the "Bead Seat Diameter". This is the smallest diameter of the tire inside the rim, and the diameter of the little shelf ("bead seat") inside each flange of some rims.. "26 inch" tires will have ISO/E.T.R.T.O Bead Seat Diameters of 559 mm, 571 mm, 584 mm, 590 mm or 597 mm."

Last edited by Crankycrank; 01-11-24 at 08:50 AM.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 01-11-24, 09:48 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Dizzy1313

Originally Posted by Bezalel
26x1.75 is not a proper rim size, it's just a vendor's recommendation as to what size tire would be an ideal fit. There is some leeway when it comes to tire widths and a 2.35 tire can be mounted but there might be some longevity issues.
Can you link to the wheel in question? Or does the listing identify the exact rim used?

Why introduce confusing stuff that is meaningless to the average rider since fractional sizing is virtually non-existent outside the LBS and they wouldn't just hand those out without verifying? OP clearly used the correct modern numbers.
Also the 26x1.75 has less to do with the recommended tire width and is more something that gets stamped on cheap/low end rims to let the buyers know that they're looking at the right sized wheel.

OP, it'll fit fine if your frame and fork are rated for that size tire. Something to watch for if you're dealing with a modern bike; is your wheel bolt on? if so, does the axle nut help to hold the rear derailleur in place? if so you need to put some effort into finding a bolt on wheel. it may be possible to move a quick release (QR) axle over enough to help support the attachment of the der or it may not be and the fit won't be great for keeping the wheel fixed. if the rear der bolts to a der hanger that is a part of the frame than it doesn't matter and QR or bolt on will work.
Old 01-11-24, 04:18 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
Short answer.

Yes, subject to the clearance in the frame.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-15-24, 05:50 PM
jammer.g

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could buy a new hub instead of a wheel and build a new wheel with the rim ,,,,BAMM no tire issue, just mount cassette , tune the drivetrain and ride. Since you know your rim mounts the tires and your wheels will still match, I built my first wheel watching a YouTube video from ParkTools and made a home made truing stand and dish tool, used light duty locktite for spoke prep. And it came out great..... Was easier than I thought. Hydraulic disc conversion from calipers radical improvement....
Old 01-15-24, 06:38 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Hey folks just FYI this thread was from 2016!
Likes For veganbikes: