Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Advantage of Disc Brakes?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-17, 01:40 PM
09box

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I am pondering getting a disc brake equipped bike. Do they have any advantages over a rim brake equipped bike?
Old 02-11-17, 01:43 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Yes and no. Depends on your riding style, terrain etc....
Personally, I don't like the "vulnerability" of the rotor when little brats jamb their bike against yours in bike racks etc.
Old 02-11-17, 02:07 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Mine outperform rim brakes in wet/slick conditions. So if you do a lot of riding in those conditions, then they are the right tool for you.

Rim brakes are equal on dry roads. Rim brakes work in slick conditions, but you just have to be more careful.
Old 02-11-17, 02:43 PM
ammarolli

Bikes: Trek Crossrip 2 2017, Cube Cruve Pro 2015 and Berlín Dutch Bike 3 speed 2014

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Disc brake works a lot better in the wet/muddy condition than traditional rim brakes and have consistent braking.
I love hydraulic disc brakes as they automatically adjust the pads as they wear down.
Old 02-11-17, 03:13 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
The rims aren't worn down. Care must be taken when handling the wheel off the bike to not bend the rotor.
Old 02-11-17, 04:28 PM
TallRider

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
My opinion is consistent with what others have said, but I'll try to add some explanation (and a couple more points).

1) The talk of disc brakes being obviously stronger in good weather is largely marketing hype. As others in this thread have noted, discs aren't "better at being brakes" in dry weather. The increased clamping force of discs are canceled out by the much smaller disc diameter compared to a rim.
2) Disc brakes are generally better in wet/mud for two reasons: (a) the disc is further from the ground, and doesn't get wet or muddy just based on what the bike wheel is rolling through (b) wet rims need a revolution under the brake pads to scrape the water off for better friction between rim and pad. Disc brakes have higher clamping force, which squeezes the water out from between pad and braking surface almost instantly.

Other relative upsides of disc brakes:
3) you can easily swap between different wheel sizes on the same frame
4) no need to replace the rim once the braking surface is worn down. this matters more for commuting bikes (where braking is more frequent and rims will thus wear down more quickly)
5) easier to use with fatter tires and/or fenders, where longer arms of normal sidepull brakes will mean more flexing and less braking force (this advantage disappears when comparing disc brakes with centerpull rim brakes)

Other relative upsides of rim brakes:
6) less finnicky adjustment when changing wheels, because tolerances are larger
7) a flexible fork (which gives a smoother ride) can be used, whereas disc brakes require a stiffer fork.
8) pads are less likely to "fade" from overheating on long descents, because large rim (esp aluminum) acts as a better heat sink than small steel disc
9) less aerodynamic drag in crosswinds
10) brake pads last a lot longer. numerous reports of disc brake pads wearing down quickly.

All this means that disc brakes are obviously better for off-road usage.
For road riding, things are much less clear. Disc brakes are more likely worth it if you live in rainy conditions, where you'll get better power and won't need to replace your rims when the braking surface wears out.

Jan Heine of Bicycle Quarterly (who rides fatter-tire road bikes in all-weather conditions, with centerpull rim brakes on some bikes and discs on others) recently wrote a general overview of disc brake pros and cons

Last edited by TallRider; 02-11-17 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-11-17, 04:32 PM
Phloom

Bikes: Too many to list here

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My very first disk brake equipped bike is my daily commuter. It took a bit to get used to them. I was squeezing to hard when coming to a stop and I had a few minor crashes. I am much better now. I really like them for commuting as I am always stopping and going. As other forum members have mentioned, disk brakes are not effected by rain. I can't imagine my commuter not having disk brakes any more. They have made my commute much safer.
Old 02-11-17, 04:33 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by TallRider
My opinion is consistent with what others have said, but I'll try to add some explanation (and a couple more points).

1) The talk of disc brakes being obviously stronger in good weather is largely marketing hype. As others in this thread have noted, discs aren't "better at being brakes" in dry weather. The increased clamping force of discs are canceled out by the much smaller disc diameter compared to a rim.
2) Disc brakes are generally better in wet/mud for two reasons: (a) the disc is further from the ground, and doesn't get wet or muddy just based on what the bike wheel is rolling through (b) wet rims need a revolution under the brake pads to scrape the water off for better friction between rim and pad. Disc brakes have higher clamping force, which squeezes the water out from between pad and braking surface almost instantly.

Other relative upsides of disc brakes:
3) you can easily swap between different wheel sizes on the same frame
4) no need to replace the rim once the braking surface is worn down. this matters more for commuting bikes (where braking is more frequent and rims will thus wear down more quickly)
5) easier to use with fatter tires and/or fenders, where longer arms of normal sidepull brakes will mean more flexing and less braking force (this advantage disappears when comparing disc brakes with centerpull rim brakes)

Other relative upsides of rim brakes:
6) less finnicky adjustment when changing wheels, because tolerances are larger
7) a flexible fork (which gives a smoother ride) can be used, whereas disc brakes require a stiffer fork.
8) pads are less likely to "fade" from overheating on long descents, because large rim (esp aluminum) acts as a better heat sink than small steel disc

All this means that disc brakes are obviously better for off-road usage.
For road riding, things are much less clear.
Yuppers. I'd also add.... Larger tires are possible versus traditional caliper brakes. Also details like thru-axles in your frameset and wheels grant stronger wheels (which on offroad makes for better for steering).
Old 02-11-17, 04:43 PM
TallRider

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Yuppers. I'd also add.... Larger tires are possible versus traditional caliper brakes. Also details like thru-axles in your frameset and wheels grant stronger wheels (which on offroad makes for better for steering).
I had wider tires at #5 (though it's buried in a longer list)

I don't think there's technically anything keeping thru-axles from being used with rim brakes. My sense is that they developed in part because of the asymmetrical forces on frame/fork that come with disc brakes. but as mostly a roadie, I'm not an expert on this one.

Originally Posted by Phloom
My very first disk brake equipped bike is my daily commuter. It took a bit to get used to them. I was squeezing to hard when coming to a stop and I had a few minor crashes. I am much better now. I really like them for commuting as I am always stopping and going. As other forum members have mentioned, disk brakes are not effected by rain. I can't imagine my commuter not having disk brakes any more. They have made my commute much safer.
I've commuted with rim brakes for years, often in the rain, and have never worried for my safety. In my experience, rim brakes are worse in the wet, but not by an order of magnitude.

Last edited by TallRider; 02-11-17 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-11-17, 06:58 PM
netman9718

Bikes: Trek 4.0 Domane

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Down side for me has been ....wheels. Getting disc brake wheels with thru axle is nothing. Then look at 36 spoke wheels,disc brake and thru axle the numbers narrow down quickly.
However as a Clyde I do like my disc.
Old 02-11-17, 07:21 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
Care must be taken when handling the wheel off the bike to not bend the rotor.
And to not pull the brake lever lest you extend the pads too far to get the wheel back in without having to use a tool to push them back.
Old 02-12-17, 01:13 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
... details like thru-axles in your frameset and wheels grant stronger wheels....
There's no direct link between wheel strength and thru-axles. Wheel strength comes from things like flange diameter/ spacing, spoke count/diameter etc
The advantage you can get from thru-axles is that they tie the left and right side of the fork/frame together more rigidly, which makes the frame/fork overall stiffer.

A thru-axle wheel may well be stronger, but not b/c its a thru-axle.
Old 02-12-17, 01:39 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I find even under dry conditions that my hydraulic disc brakes are a major improvement over rim brakes, probably because I do a lot of riding in very steep hills and off-road, and I make very heavy use of the brakes. Being sub-clinically paranoid after a significant injury probably doesn't help either, but I find they have given me a lot more confidence.

Having said that, I recently put new rims and Campy rim brakes on a different road bike, and I would say they are at least 80% as effective. My hands do hurt more, however, when I use conventional brakes for long descents.

For me, the main irritations are finicky adjustment and frequent replacement of pads as well as rotors. The other thing is I highly recommend thru-axle, especially in the front, if you get disc brakes. I don't have it, but I wish I did. Because of the way the front brake caliper mounts on most forks, the force vector points down, which tends to push the wheel out of the fork dropouts. (My Enve 1st gen cyclocross fork has forward-pointing dropouts, which is a bit better, but they obviously decided thru-axle was an improvement, because the next gen of cyclocross fork is thru-axle.)

I also recommend Shimano (vs. SRAM) as mineral oil is a lot more pleasant to work with than DOT brake fluid, when it comes time to bleed your brakes (another delight).

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 02-12-17 at 01:44 AM.
Old 02-12-17, 01:54 AM
dabac

I think a lot of the "stronger" commentary comes from disc brakes generally providing more braking for a given amount of hand effort compared to rim brakes.
Getting full braking on my road bike - with old, single-pivot Saccon rim brakes - takes literally a white-knuckle effort.
On my nice MTB, I can get all the braking I'd ever want from a moderate, 2-finger effort.
I'd say that calling disc brakes stronger - for the amount of hand effort that feels comfortable and natural to apply - is a quite fitting description for many bikes.
Old 02-12-17, 05:38 AM
hounslow

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
I think a lot of the "stronger" commentary comes from disc brakes generally providing more braking for a given amount of hand effort compared to rim brakes.
Getting full braking on my road bike - with old, single-pivot Saccon rim brakes - takes literally a white-knuckle effort.
On my nice MTB, I can get all the braking I'd ever want from a moderate, 2-finger effort.
I'd say that calling disc brakes stronger - for the amount of hand effort that feels comfortable and natural to apply - is a quite fitting description for many bikes.
This is a massive thing that the anti disc crowd don't get, and it stays this way forever unlike cabled brakes which are susceptible to corrosion and dirt ingress making the brakes harder to operate. Yes modern rim brakes can be amazing (105 5800 and above) but it doesn't take much to change that.
Old 02-12-17, 06:46 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
09box, The greatest virtue is that disc brakes work better in wet conditions.

Braking power is limited by traction and a set of linear pull cantilever brakes or dual pivot caliper brakes modulate braking power well, while still capable of delivering enough power to endo the bike and rider.

Disc brakes wouldn't be a deciding factor for me WRT a new bike purchase.

Brad
Old 02-12-17, 07:11 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Better braking in the wet
No rim damage from braking
Rims can be made stronger lighter and more aero
Old 02-12-17, 07:37 AM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
If you live in a dry climate all you're doing is adding a pound to your bike and restricting your wheel options.
Old 02-12-17, 07:53 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
There's no direct link between wheel strength and thru-axles. Wheel strength comes from things like flange diameter/ spacing, spoke count/diameter etc
The advantage you can get from thru-axles is that they tie the left and right side of the fork/frame together more rigidly, which makes the frame/fork overall stiffer.

A thru-axle wheel may well be stronger, but not b/c its a thru-axle.
I understand that the big reason for the thru-axle is to keep the front wheel from self-ejecting. I guess you should put that on the negative list for disc brakes.
Old 02-12-17, 08:16 AM
dabac

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I understand that the big reason for the thru-axle is to keep the front wheel from self-ejecting.
That IS a consequence, which the bike industry would never admit to.

I guess you should put that on the negative list for disc brakes.
No, you should put that on the list of poor engineering decisions that the bike industry has accepted as standard.
It is not an unavoidable feature of disc brakes as such.

Putting the caliper on the front of the fork leg would have been a far better solution, not only to avoid wheel ejection but also for thru-axles.
As it is, you still have ride forces pushing the axle up, and brake forces pushing the axle down.
And as thru-axles aren't press-fit, the design still allows the axle to shift around and become self-loosening if the lever is ever not sufficiently tightened.
Old 02-12-17, 08:34 AM
Retro Grouch 

Oh man! Now I have to check to see how the front wheels of my Catrike are held on.

I can tell you from personal experience that the front wheel disc brakes have PLENTY of stopping power to lift the rear wheel off the ground. It won't endo, though, because the sprocket bash guard hits the ground to stop it. Might it eject a front wheel? I honestly don't know. I've never needed to take one of the front wheels off. If I have a puncture, I just roll the trike up on it's side.
Old 02-12-17, 08:40 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Oh man! Now I have to check to see how the front wheels of my Catrike are held on.
Forks with solid "lawyer lips" are adequate security against front wheel ejection if the axle nuts or qr skewer are tightened properly. So the lack of a thru-axle isn't a hazard.
Old 02-12-17, 08:49 AM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by HillRider
Forks with solid "lawyer lips" are adequate security against front wheel ejection if the axle nuts or qr skewer are tightened properly. So the lack of a thru-axle isn't a hazard.
I understand the theory but I'm not 100% it works in real life.

I worked on a full suspension mountain bike from a major manufacturer that kept ejecting it's front wheel. The best solution I could come up with was to replace the QR lever with a genuine Shimano (enclosed mechanism) lever. It wasn't my bike and the owner never brought it back so I don't know if that was an adequate solution.
Old 02-12-17, 09:00 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Some high dollar forks are not sold with lawyer tabs. Like say Enve IIRC.
Old 02-12-17, 09:25 AM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I can see where disc brakes could be an advantage; in wet conditions, and for severe downhill speed limiting (either on long mountain descents, or on heavily loaded touring/tandem bikes). Other than that, I can't see where the extra weight, cost, and complexity would be worth it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.