Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Gates CDC carbon drive belt snapped... and can't find a replacement!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Gates CDC carbon drive belt snapped... and can't find a replacement!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-20, 05:39 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Glad you are getting it back together. If the worn sprocket doesn't damage the belt, perhaps just continue to use/wear what you have, then go for a full replacement later. Are the teeth getting sharp? Need to bed filed down?
Old 01-06-20, 09:51 PM
robo

Bikes: 1990 Burley Bossa Nova, 1992 Paramount PDG-70, 1993 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2005 Jamis Dakar XC Pro, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Glad you are getting it back together. If the worn sprocket doesn't damage the belt, perhaps just continue to use/wear what you have, then go for a full replacement later. Are the teeth getting sharp? Need to bed filed down?
The manual that came with the replacement belts was pretty explicit about checking the sprockets for wear. I'm guessing that, like with a chain, a worn sprocket with a new belt may put undue stress on the belt.
Old 06-01-22, 02:23 AM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
Hello,

Gates confirmed CDC and the new CDN/CDX aren't compatible.

While cogs and chainrings are available, lthe 120T CDC belt is no longer manufactured and is nowhere to be found — in Europe, but it doesn't seem better elsewhere.

In anticipation of the day the belt snaps, and as a cheaper alternative, what parts would I need to replace the transmission with a chain?

It's a 46T (SRAM GXP bottom bracket) in the front and 22T (Nexus 8) in the back.

Thank you.
Old 12-31-23, 09:54 AM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
The belt finally gave up the ghost after almost ten years of almost daily use.

Turns out a CDN/CDX does work with CDC chairing + cog, although it's 2mm wider — CDC 10mm vs. CDN/CDX 12mm.

The belt fits perfectly on the chainring (maybe the original was already slighty wider than the CDC belt), while its extra width is more noticeable on the cog, and makes it slightly harder to insert/remove the Nexus' anchor bolt, but nothing that can't be achieved even with two left hands.

I'll just replace the cog with a CDX once it's worn.

In addition, I learned that the CJ-8S20 cassette joint is available for belt drives (Y73E98030), with the arm bent further outward to clear the cog, although it seems hard to find and the problem can be solved with a small strap anyway.

My .02

Last edited by Winfried; 12-31-23 at 09:58 AM.