Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shoe Repair?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Shoe Repair?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-20, 03:53 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
I had a pair come apart and took them to the local cobbler. For $5 he glued them, looked like Barge Cement to me. It held up for one ride.

I went nuclear on them, a vinyl/leather/plastic flexible cement and three small bolts through the hole thing, fixed permanently with loctite.

Don't walk on hardwood but they'll hold.
Old 10-09-21, 06:18 AM
oldogg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a similar situation when I tore my sneaker and started looking for someone who could fix it for me, when it was repaired for me, there was a lot of excess glue that made my sneaker look disgusting. After the renovation, I was forced to remove the glue from shoes . I had to use acetone, however, I washed off this glue for a long time, by the way, after using acetone, you need to wash off the affected area with water. But in the end, I was pleased with the result and traveled in it for an extra six months.
Old 03-20-22, 10:25 PM
bikeman68

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
shoe repair

HI
I started a newer post on Bike shoe cobbling, dated March 12th. So has anybody done any clamping of shoe footbed with Quick Grips? aside from the glue used, what material fo you get to form a last, to lay down in shoe to get a tight bond using a vise or clamps or Quick Grips?
I'll get back soon!
Old 03-21-22, 07:06 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Time for a new shoe. The shoe adhesives are for walking shoes and not something where you are pulling up on the cleat attached to the pedal. Be aware that sizing with bike shoes is not at all consistent. I tried Shimano in size 44 that were too long and ones in 45 that were too short. Took buying 11 pairs to find a pair that fit well. No inventory to speak off at the local shops so it was all mail order, receive, return, repeat.
Old 10-26-23, 11:32 AM
bikeman68

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Chris, this is a useful thread worth revival. I'm setting up for my home Bike and sport shoe cobbling with Aquaseal SR set aside for the glue. I'd like to go over what my plan is, along with questions for uncertain parts as a new cobbler. I think I found the best easily available glue for all Bike shoes.. But FIRST, to help ease the cleaning of a Nylon or Carbon road or Mtn bike sols, would it be ok to use Acetone for most of the quality plastic soles? Fairly certain that this highly volatile solvent won't ruin a carbon sole. This will allow much faster cleaning without un needed removal of material of sanding.
There will be the other steps covered with responses.
Old 10-26-23, 11:37 AM
bikeman68

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you still have this pair of Sidi's how are they now? Together and holding ? If ripped apart again, please get pics of current condition, I can show you the prep I did for my shoes. With support and creativity with clamping, gluing etc, even details like having cleaners, shop vac, simple green, brushes, even wire brushes, sand paper, we can get old but favorite shoes which may be discontinued back in action, and with no delamination.
Old 10-26-23, 01:43 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeman68
Chris, this is a useful thread worth revival. I'm setting up for my home Bike and sport shoe cobbling with Aquaseal SR set aside for the glue. I'd like to go over what my plan is, along with questions for uncertain parts as a new cobbler. I think I found the best easily available glue for all Bike shoes.. But FIRST, to help ease the cleaning of a Nylon or Carbon road or Mtn bike sols, would it be ok to use Acetone for most of the quality plastic soles? Fairly certain that this highly volatile solvent won't ruin a carbon sole. This will allow much faster cleaning without un needed removal of material of sanding.
There will be the other steps covered with responses.
one of the reasons that it is not generally considered good form to drag up old threads is the OP often is no longer active. If you click on a username in any thread you can view that users public profile. Had you done that here you may have noticed that the OP Chris's last activity was in 2021. What do you think the odds are that your post asking him questions is going to be answered? Your odds go up a bit if you Tag him in this reply.

You are almost always better served by starting a new thread. Asking for input on re-gluing cycling shoe soles may get a few responses. You have now revived this thread for a third time. What's the point?
Old 10-27-23, 07:34 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
If there's any interest, I repaired my wife's SPD shoes with Locktite Vinyl flexible Adhesive about six months ago by smearing the adhesive between the sole and shoe carcass, and it's holding well.
Old 10-27-23, 11:45 AM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 228 Posts
For anyone in the Seattle, Totem Lake Shoe Repair. Scott can fix anything. And there is a shop in Fremont that does Asolo boot re-sole work that is also good. Both shops use proper adhesives and OEM Vibram soles.
Old 10-27-23, 12:23 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisAlbertson
So the question is -- what kind of glue would you use to repair this?
Traditional contact cement. Rough up both surfaces, removing as much of the original adhesive as you can, then coat both surfaces with the cement and let it dry before putting the surfaces together. Cobblers use a last to support the midsole, and fix the adhesive by beating the sole with a hammer to ensure good contact between the two surfaces, you'll likely have to improvise this bit - as the sole is stiff it might be better to beat the upper with a hammer.