Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

How do you stay motivated?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

How do you stay motivated?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-23, 07:05 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18422 Post(s)
Liked 15,571 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by Straytwice
My lifelong best friend has challenged me to tour with him when I retire in the next couple of years. I loved riding many moons ago so it should be just a get out and do it thing. He is already retired and posting pictures of his rides. I am envious of his being out there already. So at it I am. Doing maintenance on a new to me touring bike and been taking the stairs and long walk into work. from my past times doing things habits form by repetition. Once the habit is there maintaining it is again Just Do it. Groups help but I find a friend is the best motivator out there.
YMMV.
Take some short trips if you can. I jumped into the deep end of the touring pool with a 6,000-mile trip that took nearly 4 months. After that, I did two other 7-week trips--one in Andalucia, Spain and one from Seattle to Cortez, CO. 10,000 miles in total during a span when I was not working (voluntarily). Then I hung up my touring shoes and went back to road riding (and work) because I had gotten it into my head that trips had to be long/epic to be worth it. Picked up the activity again 8 years later and haven't done anything longer than two weeks since. In terms of the number of trips, long weekends lead the pack. Until I got sick at the beginning of this year, I would usually do one two-week trip out west starting in mid-June, a one-week trip starting the weekend after Labor Day and several long weekend or overnight trips from/to home scattered throughout the year, usually when the weather cooperated. Several years ago, I even got to do a long weekend trip in mid-December, during a freakish warm weekend, with temps in the 70s. I find them very therapeutic.
Likes For indyfabz: