Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage Ride up Mt. Hamilton in San Jose, CA. April 27th.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-24, 03:20 PM
FrejusFlyer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 73 Posts

Hey everyone,
Planning a vintage bike ride to the top of Mount Hamilton in San Jose, CA. The ride will be on Saturday, the 27th of April and will start at 10am at the corner of Alum Rock Ave. and Mt. Hamilton Rd. There's parking right on the corner. It's roughly a 36 mile ride up and back, with the worst grades around 6% with just under 5000 ft of climbing. There's a park halfway through the ride for water and bathrooms (Grant Park) and vending machines at the top in the Observatory for drinks and snacks (also a water fountain for refilling bottles). About halfway through the ride, it levels out and there's some downhill into a valley (Grant Park) so you get a climbing break. Ride at your own pace and rain cancels, but hopefully the rain will be long gone by then!
Here's the ride with GPS:
https://ridewithgps.com/trips/157531483
Old 03-27-24, 12:50 PM
JoeBass

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 92 Posts
From the incredibly talented Frank Peter Canon:
Old 03-28-24, 06:01 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 206 Posts
Not C & V, but you can also buy the jersey at the gift shop. I came from the other side, and it was a long 95 mile day from Patterson.
Likes For mgopack42:
Old 03-28-24, 11:08 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
I'm reminded that the keeper of my zero bike and multiple time recidivist on my TdMIL rides, @BoltBreaker is a graduate of Lick-Wilmerding High School.

That Lick guy got around.

Andy did suggest we ride up Hamilton someday, maybe he'll bite on this one.
Old 03-28-24, 09:33 PM
FrejusFlyer

Originally Posted by gugie
I'm reminded that the keeper of my zero bike and multiple time recidivist on my TdMIL rides, @BoltBreaker is a graduate of Lick-Wilmerding High School.

That Lick guy got around.

Andy did suggest we ride up Hamilton someday, maybe he'll bite on this one.
He had a lot of money and looks like he knew how to spend it! I believe he's buried at the top of the mountain! Yep a quick search...
"In his last deed he chose the site atop Mount Hamilton, and was buried there in 1887 under the future site of the telescope, with a brass tablet bearing the inscription, "Here lies the body of James Lick".
Likes For FrejusFlyer:
Old 03-28-24, 09:40 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 489 Posts
I've ridden Hamilton many times, both from Alum Rock and from Livermore. It's a great ride. Unfortunately I'll probably be in the UK on this date, otherwise I'd be there for sure. On weekends they almost always run tours of the original telescope (the one James is buried under) on a roughly every other hour basis. I've done this several times and they are always very interesting and the content varies a lot depending on who is giving the tour. Well worth the roughly hour you spend on the tour. I highly recommend that you try to catch one of these before heading back down.
Likes For davester:
Old 03-28-24, 11:02 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by FrejusFlyer
He had a lot of money and looks like he knew how to spend it! I believe he's buried at the top of the mountain! Yep a quick search...
"In his last deed he chose the site atop Mount Hamilton, and was buried there in 1887 under the future site of the telescope, with a brass tablet bearing the inscription, "Here lies the body of James Lick".
Sure, James Lick's name is all over the Bay Area. But this Wilmerding guy...

Lick-Wilmerding High School sounds like a Monty Python sketch. My buddy Andy swears it's a real high school, but I've know him long enough to know his life has a lot of similarities to a Monty Python sketch.
Old 03-29-24, 06:22 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
I was debating doing this ride (starting at least two hours before the rest of you so I might actually reach the top before you all start back down), but have realized that I have a prior engagement all that weekend. Oh, darn!

And I leave to you all to decide for yourselves whether my "oh, darn" is sarcastic or not.
Old 03-29-24, 06:32 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Sure, James Lick's name is all over the Bay Area. But this Wilmerding guy...

Lick-Wilmerding High School sounds like a Monty Python sketch. My buddy Andy swears it's a real high school, but I've know him long enough to know his life has a lot of similarities to a Monty Python sketch.
Yes, the name does sound suspiciously Python-esque, or maybe like the punchline of a moderately bawdy joke, but Lick-Wilmerding is a real place. This is from their website: "A private school with public purpose, Lick-Wilmerding High School develops the head, heart, and hands of highly motivated students from all walks of life, inspiring them to become lifelong learners who contribute to the world with confidence and compassion."

The James Lick Observatory is way cool, but I shall leave unstated my thoughts about the James Lick Freeway (US 101 between San Francisco and San Jose). Edit: Actually, the James Lick Freeway only runs on SF and maybe a little further - most of 101 down to San Jose is the Bayshore Freeway. Both the James Lick and the Bayshore are subject to bouts of parking-lot-itis.

Last edited by bikingshearer; 03-29-24 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Becasue I shouldn't post oin the middle of the night.
Likes For bikingshearer:
Old 03-29-24, 10:11 AM
montagna_lunga
sc*l*tor*

Bikes: legion

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
I'll be one month into a surprise sabbatical and beings I grew up riding Mt Hamilton and around the South Bay and California I would love to make this ride! Decisions...decisions...

Dale B Phelps
Montagna lunga Colorado USA
Likes For montagna_lunga:
Old 03-29-24, 10:57 AM
JoeBass

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
I was debating doing this ride (starting at least two hours before the rest of you so I might actually reach the top before you all start back down), but have realized that I have a prior engagement all that weekend. Oh, darn!

And I leave to you all to decide for yourselves whether my "oh, darn" is sarcastic or not.
We'll miss you, Richard! And I'm going with "sarcastic".
Likes For JoeBass:
Old 03-29-24, 11:03 AM
JoeBass

Originally Posted by davester
I've ridden Hamilton many times, both from Alum Rock and from Livermore. It's a great ride. Unfortunately I'll probably be in the UK on this date, otherwise I'd be there for sure. On weekends they almost always run tours of the original telescope (the one James is buried under) on a roughly every other hour basis. I've done this several times and they are always very interesting and the content varies a lot depending on who is giving the tour. Well worth the roughly hour you spend on the tour. I highly recommend that you try to catch one of these before heading back down.
Since you'll be missing the ride, and you'll be in the UK, you'll have to make up for it by doing some riding in the Peak District while you're over there. I hear they have some nice climbs in those parts.
Likes For JoeBass:
Old 03-29-24, 11:48 AM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
Yes, the name does sound suspiciously Python-esque, or maybe like the punchline of a moderately bawdy joke, but Lick-Wilmerding is a real place. This is from their website: "A private school with public purpose, Lick-Wilmerding High School develops the head, heart, and hands of highly motivated students from all walks of life, inspiring them to become lifelong learners who contribute to the world with confidence and compassion."

The James Lick Observatory is way cool, but I shall leave unstated my thoughts about the James Lick Freeway (US 101 between San Francisco and San Jose).
Lick-Wilmerding HS is in San Francisco, with typically 500 students from predominantly wealthy families.
James Lick is two miles south of Mt Hamilton Road. It opened in 1950 as the first high school serving the area.
I attended and graduated from the latter in the seventies. Wonderful school back then, but since the 90's it plummeted in every aspect.
As a teen, I routinely rode to the top and many turnaround points in between. Tough ride when one chooses a rapid pace.
Doing it on a vintage bike these days means a seven pound handicap and possibly harder gearing. Good luck for everyone accomplishing the feat.
Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 03-29-24, 01:07 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Originally Posted by JoeBass
Since you'll be missing the ride, and you'll be in the UK, you'll have to make up for it by doing some riding in the Peak District while you're over there. I hear they have some nice climbs in those parts.
I won't be across the pond. Actually, I will be in in Sacramento, probably with little or no opportunity to ride. Kind of ironic, huh?

Edit: Oops - you weren't responding to me. It would help if I actually read stuff before responding . . . .
Old 03-29-24, 01:22 PM
JoeBass

I won't be across the pond. Actually, I will be in in Sacramento, probably with little or no opportunity to ride. Kind of ironic, huh?

Edit: Oops - you weren't responding to me. It would help if I actually read stuff before responding . . . .
Not cool! You just made me spit my tea all over my keyboard!
Old 03-29-24, 01:41 PM
Lamont Cobb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
I wonder if Grant Peterson will be on this ride.
Old 03-29-24, 03:16 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 489 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeBass
Ha! My plan is actually start at Manchester Airport, ride through the Peak District then the Yorkshire Dales on my way to the Lake District. In the Lake District the plan is to ride Velo Retro, after which I will head for Scotland. We'll see if all this comes to pass though.
Likes For davester:
Old 03-29-24, 03:44 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Hmmmmm. I last (and first, for that matter) went up Mt Hamilton on 1 January 2000. I still have the bike I rode, which is surely vintage by now!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-29-24, 08:58 PM
FrejusFlyer

Originally Posted by davester
Ha! My plan is actually start at Manchester Airport, ride through the Peak District then the Yorkshire Dales on my way to the Lake District. In the Lake District the plan is to ride Velo Retro, after which I will head for Scotland. We'll see if all this comes to pass though.
That sounds like an amazing trip!
Likes For FrejusFlyer:
Old 03-30-24, 12:21 AM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 2,127 Times in 555 Posts
That sounds great. My calendar is clear on the 27th so I’ll try to be there. I’ve lived in the Bay Area since ‘96, and have yet to try the Mt. Hamilton climb. I’ve made it up Mt. Tam & Mt. Diablo, so this would complete the Bay Area tall-peak trifecta.
Likes For gaucho777:
Old 03-30-24, 09:19 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by gaucho777
That sounds great. My calendar is clear on the 27th so I’ll try to be there. I’ve lived in the Bay Area since ‘96, and have yet to try the Mt. Hamilton climb. I’ve made it up Mt. Tam & Mt. Diablo, so this would complete the Bay Area tall-peak trifecta.
Someday someone should put together a 3 day event for all three peaks. Maybe one per weekend in the fall? Or for the ambitious, consecutive days. I'd travel down there for that.
Old 03-30-24, 11:14 AM
FrejusFlyer

Originally Posted by gaucho777
Never been up Mt. Tam. It's on my "to do" list. Hamilton doesn't have that steep pitch (the ramp) at the end like Diablo does, so it's not as devilish.
Old 03-30-24, 12:06 PM
JoeBass

Someday someone should put together a 3 day event for all three peaks. Maybe one per weekend in the fall? Or for the ambitious, consecutive days. I'd travel down there for that.
If you're going to plan something like that, you might as well throw in Mt Umunhum. Don't want anyone going home thinking they didn't get enough climbing
Old 03-30-24, 12:19 PM
cinelliguy 

Bikes: 57 ExpressWerke, 58 CinelliB, 62 CinelliB Altenberger, 70 Cinelli SC, 76 Masi, 77 Colin Laing, 78 Ritchey, 80 Jack Taylor, 82 Appel, 82 Davidson, 85 Ironman, 92? Andy Gilmour, 04 Peter Johnson, 91 Ed Litton, 11 Bianchi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 133 Posts
One time a long time ago, almost a past life, I did all three in one day..not on a C&V bike though :-/

https://www.strava.com/activities/773580

Guy
Likes For cinelliguy:
Old 03-30-24, 02:18 PM
FrejusFlyer

Originally Posted by cinelliguy
One time a long time ago, almost a past life, I did all three in one day..not on a C&V bike though :-/

https://www.strava.com/activities/773580

Guy
Holy cow! That's pretty amazing.
Likes For FrejusFlyer:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.