Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tip for you: chain tensioning technique

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Tip for you: chain tensioning technique

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-24, 08:27 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Google AI continues to improve - unfortunately, in the case of zombie thread revivals.
I realized it was a zombie thread when I opened it but it made for some entertaining reading to go with my morning coffee.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 02-15-24, 08:44 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Weldinpatt
too tight and no good, bearings take a hit oops. Skipping is too slack and stretched, time to fit a new chain before sprocket deformation. Good wrap utilises more teeth, equating to less wear.
Riding style can accelerate wear more rapidly.
Wheelie kings eat chains as does snatching.
The OP hasn't posted for 10 years. He previously posted "I think I have gotten to the point where I don't benefit much from online discussion because my cycling dilemmas are now easier to solve by direct experiment rather than trying to find the handful of people on the internet that might have tried it before." To me that says "I can't get anyone to agree with my crazy ideas and I can't handle criticism." A great loss to the cycling community.
Old 02-16-24, 12:39 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 335 Posts
I won't repeat the above, except to agree, that an overly tight chain can cost damage to expensive components like hubs.

I will also add, first, that the wider the chain, the less it likes to be bent laterally, and single speed chains are wider than derailleur chains.

Second, using high chain tension to delay replacement, is foolish. When the chain stretches due to wear, it will also "wear in" the cogs and chainrings to the same spacing, and then when you finally put on a new chain, the cogs skip, and you need to replace that. More expensive with a cassette, although IGH hubs, I'll bet, have some expensive sprockets. Chains are cheaper, most especially single speed chains. Clean, lube, and replace when stretched beyond spec.

Lastly, FBinNY, from the posts of his I have seen, has vast bike wrenching experience, I don't know his background, but I see knowledge in his comments, on very wide-ranging bike issues, so my guess is he wrenched bikes for a living. I'm an engineer, so can logic some stuff out, even make a contribution based on the science of the problem.

EDIT: Sorry, just realized this was a zombie thread, recently resurrected.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 02-16-24 at 12:45 AM.
Likes For Duragrouch:
Old 02-16-24, 02:36 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
I realized it was a zombie thread when I opened it but it made for some entertaining reading to go with my morning coffee.
Same

Though half way through the OP’s post I got to “so you don’t have to replace the chain until it snaps” and struggled to hold onto all the coffee.

Ref the Google AI comment - the necromancer’s 2 posts (welcome by the way!) have a very particular style which doesn’t look like GenAI to me.