Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Find a fixed gear brand

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Find a fixed gear brand

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-24, 09:01 AM
Vaios

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Find a fixed gear brand

Hello everyone. Internet is a big place and i desperately try to find a bike brand that i read about long time ago but forgot the name. A clue i recall is that only produced two bike models. One for track racing and another for street riding. Geometry and tubing was very carefully selected for each purpose and people was swearing that this was as far as good a fixed gear frame could go. If i remember right it was two brothers who created the company and which name starts with "G" (but i'm not sure about this). It was some years back maybe at 2000 era, not any longer in bussiness as far as i know it was very limited.

If rings a bell please share what you know. Any information would be helpfull. I want to build a bike frame and i think it would be a great starting point.
Old 04-28-24, 10:20 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4430 Post(s)
Liked 4,073 Times in 2,716 Posts
If you know what you want there are tons of great customer builders who can get you something built to your needs. The problem with going for a potentially 24 year defunct company is getting support for the product should something happen and potentially finding that product. My reasonable dream (not the full bank dream) is a custom Ren Yarak from Dave Levy (who also does Ti Cycles and Radhaus PDX and a bunch of other stuff) the Yarak is more track oriented but he also makes road and gravel bikes and a ton of other stuff and has the ability to customize so I can get nearly what I want. The ultimate dream is probably a Firefly or Sturdy Cycles frameset but that would be significantly more price wise. There are also others building in steel and aluminum who can make you the bike of your dreams and give you some support and all of that or there are established brands that are still around that can get you a fixed gear bike.

I am trying to go into the archives and find a company as you describe but nothing coming up. I will keep thinking.
Old 04-29-24, 07:06 AM
Vaios

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im sure there is plenty of manufacturers and fabrications to admire. But i want to find information about that which have stuck in my mind. I hardly remember anything but i recall it was italian maybe. One thing im sure is that it only produced two frames. One for track and one for street.
Old 04-29-24, 05:55 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4430 Post(s)
Liked 4,073 Times in 2,716 Posts
Originally Posted by Vaios
Im sure there is plenty of manufacturers and fabrications to admire. But i want to find information about that which have stuck in my mind. I hardly remember anything but i recall it was italian maybe. One thing im sure is that it only produced two frames. One for track and one for street.
I gotcha sometimes that memory is hard to shake I remember when I saw a Mosh BMX bike again after getting rid of mine as a kid and getting a new bike that I didn't care for much but I still couldn't find the model I had. I cannot think of any brands that just did 2 models and only fixed gear.
Old 05-07-24, 04:51 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2529 Post(s)
Liked 3,014 Times in 1,715 Posts
Two brothers and a bike brand whose name begins with "G" - could be Guerciotti. They had more than just two frames in the lineup, but, given your hazy recollection, you may be misremembering that detail.

From this page:

"The history of the Guerciotti brand started in 1964 when the brothers Italo and Paolo Guerciotti – at the time road and cyclocross riders, respectively – opened a small workshop on the outskirts of Milan."