Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What passes through your mind during the Hour(s) on your Bike ride?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What passes through your mind during the Hour(s) on your Bike ride?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-20, 05:13 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 246 Posts
I often find my self in a nostalgic frame of mind. Thinking about my youth and the good friends I had, wondering if they're still around and healthy. Happy and Sad at the same time.
Sometimes I even feel Anemoia.....especially when I see "old" people. Strange.
Old 12-23-20, 06:57 PM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 39 Posts
I'm all over the place during a ride; our 26 year old daughter items, should I change up the route, how does my body feel, COVID, COVID, COVID!!

Riding alone for so many months, without any of the usual groups, leaves my mind more open to random thoughts. It's more tiring than the ride!

Yeah, got to find a way to calm this down and enjoy the moment. That is my goal for 2021.
Old 12-23-20, 10:10 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 489 Posts
I mostly ride with others, so we chat about everything under the sun. This is much more important during Covid since I don't get to chat with anyone outside the household live other than when on the bike. No matter whether I'm with others or by myself, mostly I drink in the wonderful scenery and simply enjoy the feeling of zooming along with the beautiful world around me (except when I am humping up the 15% grade back to my house at the end of a long ride, at which times I am only thinking of getting off the bike and guzzling down a beer).
Old 12-24-20, 07:13 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by nesdog
...Yeah, got to find a way to calm this down and enjoy the moment. That is my goal for 2021.
Me, too. Good luck, and check back in at the end of 2021!
Old 12-24-20, 08:03 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
When I first started riding, I listened to music, but after a couple of years I stopped, and now I never would. Not only did I become concerned about safety, I also came to value the quiet mind-clearing of a long ride.

Funny how I can ride for 5 or 6 hours and not be bored, just alone with my thoughts. It can't be explained to anybody who hasn't done it.

On the trainer? That's different -my mind is never going to wander in that same way, and I need the motivation. Loud music for sure.
Old 12-24-20, 09:52 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
Everything and nothing. I don't wear earbuds while I'm riding, but I will run some songs through my head. Other times, I'll think about various things, far too many sorts of things to list here.
...and sometimes, nothing at all. I just lose myself in the moment, focusing on sensations, how my bike sounds and feels, and the scenery around me.
Old 12-24-20, 11:37 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by velojym
Everything and nothing. I don't wear earbuds while I'm riding, but I will run some songs through my head. Other times, I'll think about various things, far too many sorts of things to list here.
...and sometimes, nothing at all. I just lose myself in the moment, focusing on sensations, how my bike sounds and feels, and the scenery around me.
That's another reason I don't listen to music on the road. If my bike is making unexpected sounds, I want to know about it.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 12-25-20, 02:19 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Those of us who do randonneuring, when asked why we do it, usually come up with lame cliche answers. To find our limits, because it's there, because we can, etc. The real reasons are more elusive. Part of what happens after enough hours or days and nights on the bike is the mind becomes focused completely and entirely on what it takes to keep going; everything else fades away. Life becomes about the ride; better yet, the ride becomes life. Distance to the next turn and the one after, distance to the next stop, time in the bank, staying hydrated, planning the next stop, eating, staying on top of traffic, monitoring mental state, noticing any developing physical issues, the bike - these are the things that occupy my mind. The world becomes very small.

At the end of my first 1200k, I handed my brevet card to the official. Unlike the previous controls, he kept it after stamping it with my time. I just stood there. Now I know the volunteers call us shattered people, but I think that's wrong. We're people devoid of thoughts. After some food and a bit of sleep, the world floods back in.

I told that story to a co-worker a few years back; he laughed and said "dude, you know you can do that with drugs, right?" I expect he's right.

I can't get there on a normal ride; I can maybe quiet the endless looping thoughts and notice the world, but to get to that deep focus, I cross that threshold after hundreds of miles. I don't know if it's addictive, but once you've been there you want to go back.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 12-26-20, 12:46 AM
5 mph

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
Sadly, over the years I have had older cycling buddies and even a couple of younger buddies pass away. When I hit sections of the road where I have ridden with them, I think of them. Pretty sad really but it's all the cycle of life.
I know what you are saying.

Last edited by 5 mph; 12-26-20 at 12:51 AM.
Old 12-26-20, 12:23 PM
05 fuji
Cancer survivor (twice)

Bikes: 2020 Trek Verve 2

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 74 Posts
I find that am just in the moment and and stay away from the demons of every day life! Therapeutic sessions without the co-pay!
Old 12-26-20, 08:35 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
I often find my self in a nostalgic frame of mind. Thinking about my youth and the good friends I had, wondering if they're still around and healthy. Happy and Sad at the same time.
Sometimes I even feel Anemoia.....especially when I see "old" people. Strange.
Huh, Anemoia is a term I've never heard before but I think i can relate. I love historical imagery and often wonder what it was like in the image of a time long forgotten. Usually I look at old images that I can relate to, like old images of Toronto. i didn't grow up in some of those old images but i think what my previous generation relatives experienced who were actually there?

whew, going a little deep here.
Old 12-27-20, 08:38 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Climb on board and just ride

Old 12-27-20, 11:21 AM
Sertsa

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 67 Posts
I was thinking on somewhat related thoughts recently, especially while hiking.

I think about a lot of things while hiking or biking, particularly writing and music ideas, along with my progress in losing weight and being healthier, things I need to do, etc. But while hiking my mind keeps getting a myriad of thoughts and memories, including a lot of things in the past I really wish I could go back and fix. I'm sometimes able to work through some issues, get past the regrets and depression, and make decisions.

Riding, however, is a bit different. It's more of a calm as I'm pushing along, looking at the path, trees, next horizon. I don't think I make as many decisions while riding, but I usually feel better able to make them. Thoughts are a bit clearer, may even fade completely and there's just the changing landscape and sound of motion. Often in those times I sing to myself (although more loudly under/through bridges), often making up songs and melodies, and there's a sense of peace I don't really experience at any other time.
Old 12-27-20, 11:36 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
When I used to bike commute, about 45 mins each way, I would do any planning, think about home or work issues and sometimes compose poetry. Ended up writing a half dozen.

In my 30s belonged to a bike club or with a good friend and we were constantly doing pace lines or drafting which requires full concentration, so little time to think other than staying safe and keeping a good pace at the front.

Now I have a new multifunction cycle computer, Strava and earbuds playing Pandora. I concentrate on technique, body position and besting previous speeds and staying safe. Thinking is overrated.

Old 12-29-20, 05:45 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
The wind.
Old 12-29-20, 07:12 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
Huh, Anemoia is a term I've never heard before but I think i can relate. I love historical imagery and often wonder what it was like in the image of a time long forgotten. Usually I look at old images that I can relate to, like old images of Toronto. i didn't grow up in some of those old images but i think what my previous generation relatives experienced who were actually there?

whew, going a little deep here.
Have you ever looked into genetic memory? It's a (quite valid, in my opinion) theory that, perhaps memory is one of the things passed down from ancestors in our DNA. I have vivid recollections of being places I know I never visited, places that didn't even exist in my lifetime.
Likes For Papa Tom:
Old 12-30-20, 12:21 AM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

Bikes: '74 Falcon San Remo, '80 SR Semi Pro, '88 Trek 360, '18 Fairdale Goodship

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Quiet the mind, turn the pedals, notice the world. Repeat, until the mind is quiet on its own. That's the goal; sometimes i get there, sometimes not

I am more or less this mindset. I want the exercise and push myself the whole way but basically zone out and enjoy the beautiful scenery where I live. Music is my companion, my daily mix track, I don’t always pay attention to it but it’s always there (just my phone, nothing obnoxious)

Last edited by LibertyFLS; 12-30-20 at 12:30 AM.
Old 12-30-20, 06:54 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,291 Times in 1,280 Posts
I thank grandfather for the ability to ride my bike and the blessings in my life. At times my mind goes into thinking about all the moving parts that keep me gliding along. I have built almost all my bikes from complete disassembly to rideable condition. Every ball bearing checked , cleaned , greased , and reassembled. So that is where my brain goes to while I ride ....among other things!
Old 12-30-20, 07:45 PM
5 mph

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
At times my mind goes into thinking about all the moving parts that keep me gliding along. I have built almost all my bikes from complete disassembly to rideable condition. Every ball bearing checked , cleaned , greased , and reassembled.
Makes me laugh. Had a 1980 Corolla as my first car, and I had just rebuilt the carburetor. Just starting to learn how to work on cars.
I was crossing the Tappen Zee bridge from NJ heading to NYC. A really huge bridge that seems to go higher than an airplane. Huge trucks behind and in front.
And there I was high above the River on the bridge, 747's 500 feet below me in my imagination , thinking about those tiny needle valves and flimsy plastic floats and those little screws that hold the butterfly valve on...and if did something wrong...
Old 12-30-20, 09:22 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Riding the back roads of rural Oklahoma, I like to look for things to take pictures of with my cell phone. Yes, I'm "that guy" that posts almost every Saturday morning ride on facebook. So what goes through my mind is taking in what is around me and how lucky I am to be able to do it. Of course I also have the Garmin before me but I try to not let it distract from what I'm taking in visually unless I'm navigating a new route. Anyway, I post those pictures because facebook will show them in my memories, and aren't memories in the saddle great?

But the best memories come from when I ride on my old Takara. When I was in high school I bought a Takara from a local sporting goods store and rode it like I had no good sense. This year I found one a model lower but the same year. It is a little too small for me but in almost new condition. And when I'm on it I feel 18 again. I often ride it on the same path I rode as a teenager and memories of those rides go through my mind with great fondness.
Old 12-30-20, 09:41 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
Riding the back roads of rural Oklahoma, I like to look for things to take pictures of with my cell phone. Yes, I'm "that guy" that posts almost every Saturday morning ride on facebook. So what goes through my mind is taking in what is around me and how lucky I am to be able to do it. Of course I also have the Garmin before me but I try to not let it distract from what I'm taking in visually unless I'm navigating a new route. Anyway, I post those pictures because facebook will show them in my memories, and aren't memories in the saddle great?

But the best memories come from when I ride on my old Takara. When I was in high school I bought a Takara from a local sporting goods store and rode it like I had no good sense. This year I found one a model lower but the same year. It is a little too small for me but in almost new condition. And when I'm on it I feel 18 again. I often ride it on the same path I rode as a teenager and memories of those rides go through my mind with great fondness.

Please post your images on the picture thread. Would love to see them

Old 01-03-21, 08:41 AM
IronM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
I can meditate on endurance rides. I find that 'all day pace' & then let myself go. Eventual I come around I often have a 'now where the heck am I?" moment.
If on a 'hard' solo ride, I imaging myself trying to hold off the peleton. They're just out of sight, but gunning for me.
But otherwise, I can occupy myself with recalling music.
Old 01-03-21, 10:30 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
Well I do watch the garmin and depending on the conditions how to react. I try to always have a eye in my helmet mount review mirror never leave home without one. Now on another level the Deacon does go over homilies in my head and if fact next weekend is my weekend to preach, so this happens. I also have another habit I have a route that goes by a friend batting pancreatic cancer so every time I go by his house I breath a Hail Mary prayer. I even do this with folks I have on my prayer list, and with that mostly thanks for being able to ride and be out. They probably will drop the thread after my answer at least based on some of mainstream thought.

Also least we forget about Strava segments I sometimes will give them a real go. The problem with these is that after 10 years of them and pushing in age I am not getting faster, but if the wind is in the right direction I may give one a go. Then of course I am usually planning my recovery brunch too. Sometimes it is good not to think just listen the the world.
homilies and CAT7RDR doxologies are positive ways to use the mind while riding. I like to start/end my rides with a prayer/thanks for health/safety and try to quiet my mind for the most part in between. It is nice solving some pending issues as quiet mind interruptions
Old 01-03-21, 02:30 PM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
If I'm really being honest....

Old 01-04-21, 09:16 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,291 Times in 1,280 Posts
Originally Posted by bargo68
If I'm really being honest....

NO!!!! Never!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.