Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2nd wheelset 2020 Checkpoint ALR5

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

2nd wheelset 2020 Checkpoint ALR5

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-21, 01:03 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
Originally Posted by classic carl
Are those the Pro 37 wheels on your wife's bike? I'm debating whether I should buy the Pro 37 or the Pro 51. I'm wondering if the 3 oz. less weight of the Pro 37 would be offset by the increased aerodynamics of the Pro 51. After further investigation, I see that the Pro 51 is considerably wider than the Pro 37. Do you know how wide of a tire can be installed on either? I have 28mm tires on OEM Bontrager Paradigm SL aluminum wheels on the Emonda.

I can't get either up here locally until February, and I'll be in Florida then. I might have to look down there if you get yours sooner.
Yes they are. I started to swap them out for the Pro 3V's on my Domane with those, but I ultimately wanted the Pro 51's. The wheels are really nice with the DT Swiss internals. I would talk to your Trek dealer and see if they can get the Pro 51's now. I was being told Feb as well and about 3 weeks ago, they had some Pro 51's in the Wisconsin warehouse available for order, so I did. They are suppose to be delivered just before Thanksgiving. If I waited for the NJ warehouse to get some, which supplies Florida, it was Feb or March.

I like the 37 depth, but having the better aero dynamics of the deeper wheels is what I wanted, and also wanted a slightly narrower internal width so the profile of the 28's would be a little less square compared to running them on the Pro 3v's. Those things are so damn wide at 25mm internal. The Pro 51 is only 2mm wider than the Pro 37, so not a huge different. 23 versus 21. You can pretty much install most anything on these, but limited by your frame. A guy at the LBS but a 40 on the Pro 37 and it worked, but was really right on the rear triangle.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 10-29-21 at 01:08 PM.
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 10-30-21, 01:36 AM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
I have a set of Pro 3V wheels as stock on my Domane as well as a set of RSL 51 wheels and the 51s aren't noticeably faster. So my recommendation is to get whichever of the Pro 37 or Pro 51 you can get sooner. Though the 51mm rims look cooler.