Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hydraulic brake fluid article feedback

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-24, 02:00 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts

There are many great experts on BikeForums.
High-quality feedback in this thread resulted in several positive changes.
That's why I think it's a good idea to ask for feedback about the (latest) article I wrote on brake fluid, with the "inventive & creative" title: "Which fluid should I put in my hydraulic bicycle brakes?"

If you find the time, and find anything missing, especially if you find any mistakes, please let me know (the same goes for finding any "bed spilling," as English is not my native ).
Forum, (anonymous) website comments or DMs - whatever is easier for you.
The idea is to make it useful and helpful for every home (and pro) mechanic.

Note:
I am aware that red rubber grease is not a fluid.
That "mistake" is deliberate.
In my experience, most mechanics don't even know about it, and this article was the logical place to mention and explain what it's good for.

Thanks in advance,
Relja Novović
Likes For Bike Gremlin:
Old 01-09-24, 06:50 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
FWIW, I think you are supposed to be a paid member prior to promoting your website. It is an attractive site.
Old 01-09-24, 04:16 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
In all fairness, I believe it would be fitting and proper to CLEARLY say it's a commercial site, ie. has paid adverts, when asking others to help.

I'm not saying you shouldn't ask ( it's not my forum), just that folks should know the scoop before deciding to help.

BTW, better than asking strangers to be fact checkers, consider forming a circle of trusted sources to exchange ideas with.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 01-09-24, 06:03 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
There's the issue that like most topics on generic topics like this, people have been writing this magazine article on the internet for about 25 years and quite some time in print before that. Are you going to produce something that's better than, say, Park Tool's video on the topic. I haven't looked but it's 99% sure they have one. Is your writing better than ChatGPT which can just google all the articles ever posted and rehash them?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-09-24, 06:05 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
Shimano implies that you should only use their red mineral oil

Might be the seals ? not sure.

I have some

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 01-09-24, 06:24 PM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
There's the issue that like most topics on generic topics like this, people have been writing this magazine article on the internet for about 25 years and quite some time in print before that. Are you going to produce something that's better than, say, Park Tool's video on the topic. I haven't looked but it's 99% sure they have one. Is your writing better than ChatGPT which can just google all the articles ever posted and rehash them?
Most people’s writing is better than the banality of chatGPT.

Park Tool on the other hand, you have to go some to better.

I’d be surprised if Gremlin is making any profit from ads and he did remove them on mobile based on my feedback.
Likes For choddo:
Old 01-09-24, 06:30 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by choddo
I’d be surprised if Gremlin is making any profit from ads and he did remove them on mobile based on my feedback.
I never concern myself with details of other folk's businesses. The site does have ads, so by my definition, it's s commercial venture.

Whether ads generate an income greater than the cost to host the site is between him and the tax man. Though, even if it's not profitable now, it could cross that line eventually.

IMO, it's not about profit or loss, but about fair play when asking for help.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-09-24, 06:31 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I remind you we are talking about a brake fluid article.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-09-24, 11:43 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Originally Posted by mpetry912
Shimano implies that you should only use their red mineral oil

Might be the seals ? not sure.

I have some

/markp
As far as I know, so does Magura and probably every other "mineral-oil-brake" manufacturer.
I've used the there-listed Total LHM+ with both new and used brakes and haven't had any problems whatsoever.

One concern is the below -10 °C performance - I'm not able to test that first-hand in Serbia.
Based on the feedback I got, brakes respond a bit less quickly at -20 °C with LHM+, but they still work OK.

Relja

Last edited by Bike Gremlin; 01-10-24 at 01:38 AM.
Old 01-09-24, 11:52 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Originally Posted by FBinNY
I never concern myself with details of other folk's businesses. The site does have ads, so by my definition, it's s commercial venture.
By that definition, BikeForums is a commercial venture.

As I had said in "the previous thead": I don't mind sharing knowledge for free, but I don't like the idea of paying out of my own pocket in order to do so.
After the site started getting many visitors and I had to pay more for decent web-hosting, I had started placing the automated ads.

The story about figuring out the performance problems (before I spent more money on better hosting).

Automated ads are good - no hassle and strings attached compared to making any sponsorship deals.
Though it's still risky and it could be "disabled" at any time - only three big corporations offer that kind of service that works properly.

Park Tool on the other hand, you have to go some to better.
Park Tool site and YouTube are awesome (though they are used to sell tools and I don't think anyone works there for free).
But I do my own thing.
Better in some ways, worse in others.
I'm definitely in a position to criticize both crappy Park Tool and crappy Unior tools (and praise the good ones).
Running without any company sponsors gives me that freedom (I do get support via Patreon supporters, folks who think what I'm doing is good and helpful - which reminds me to add the Patreon support "plea" to the article ).

No one can please everyone.
Having said that, after some more testing, I've also removed in-article desktop ads.
Writeup on ads (removal) situation

The site is still making more money than it costs to run in - in terms of covering the expenses.
In terms of income per time invested, I think it's under $1 per hour. LOL.
But that's not the point. It could be $1,000 per hour just as well.
Any revenue is just a (innevitable) consequence of doing what's good - not the goal in itself.
That's how I like it.

P.S.
Based on the comments so far, I suppose this article hasn't got any errors.
That is good.

Relja

Last edited by Bike Gremlin; 01-10-24 at 12:38 AM.
Old 01-10-24, 02:01 AM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Bike Gremlin
By that definition, BikeForums is a commercial venture.
Yes, it surely is.. And, I don't post there for BF's benefit. I post to help those who come seeking answer to questions or solutions to problems. But just as you draw the line at paying to be on a forum helping others, I also have boundaries I avoid crossing. I draw a distinction between helping a fellow cyclist solve a problem, and helping someone with their commercial venture.

Cheers,
fb

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 01-10-24, 02:08 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Yes, it surely is.. And, I don't post there for BF's benefit. I post to help those who come seeking answer to questions or solutions to problems. But just as you draw the line at paying to be on a forum helping others, I also have boundaries I avoid crossing. I draw a distinction between helping a fellow cyclist solve a problem, and helping someone with their commercial venture.

Cheers,
fb
Fair enough.

A person who can please everyone is yet to be born.
- Serbian proverb

P.S.
I don't see BikeForums (or Sheldon Brown website for that matter) as commercial.
Even Park Tool articles and videos look more like works of passion than sales-driven stuff.
All those resources are highly-valuable and helpful, and all are monetized in one way or another.

Last edited by Bike Gremlin; 01-10-24 at 02:17 AM.
Old 01-10-24, 06:10 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Obviously the website is no Park Tools or Sheldon Brown. With the low cost of internet "publishing" anyone can be an expert and the ability to separate grain from chaff is ever more essential. Again, I'm surprised OP is allowed to promote his business on BF for free.