Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Help with a basic bike computer

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-20, 08:53 AM
CoffeedrinkerNC

Bikes: Trek Verve 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts

I'm overwhelmed by the choices of a basic bike computer. Some thing in the same range as the Wahoo Elemnt mini, that can upload ride info to Strava.
Old 02-02-20, 09:44 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,088 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by CoffeedrinkerNC
I'm overwhelmed by the choices of a basic bike computer. Some thing in the same range as the Wahoo Elemnt mini, that can upload ride info to Strava.
Theres a bunch of comments in General Discussion about this unit. Specs says it links to Strava

https://www.amazon.com/XOSS-Speedome...0658123&sr=8-2
Old 02-04-20, 02:30 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Ditto, the XOSS G+. I wrote my impressions of it in this thread (and others). I've had it 3 weeks now and several rides of 10-40 miles, for 290 miles total so far. It's a good value in a basic bike computer with GPS logging (but no navigation aids) and sensor capability (speed, cadence, heart monitor, etc.).
Likes For canklecat:
Old 02-05-20, 05:47 AM
CoffeedrinkerNC

Bikes: Trek Verve 2

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Ditto, the XOSS G+. I wrote my impressions of it in this thread (and others). I've had it 3 weeks now and several rides of 10-40 miles, for 290 miles total so far. It's a good value in a basic bike computer with GPS logging (but no navigation aids) and sensor capability (speed, cadence, heart monitor, etc.).
I order one yesterday from amazon, should have it today. Thanks for your review.
Old 02-26-20, 09:45 AM
cyclejoc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm on my 3rd Mini in 9 months. It's a POS. Please reconsider.
Old 02-26-20, 02:09 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Incidentally, regarding the XOSS G+ I suggested in early February, be aware that XOSS appears to be suffering from the same economic slowdown caused by the COVID-19 outbreak ("coronavirus") that's affecting much of the Chinese economy.

I've had almost no problems with mine, purchased in January 2020. It's been 99.99% reliable over nearly 500 miles of rides, each 20-50 miles long. I had one ride a week or so ago when the XOSS GPS couldn't sync for the first 10-15 miles, which may have been due to atmospheric conditions or RFI/EMI interference in one tricky area where I often ride. It's a valley where my phone GPS often drops too. It picked up the last 35 miles of that ride just fine.

But that's the last time the app was updated. It's still functional but some minor issues haven't been resolved. Nothing that hinders function -- the app shows only metric, but after syncing to Strava it converts to imperial if that's how the Strava user sets it.

However I'm seeing a slower response, or no response, to customer questions outside the US market. And apparently units are shipping slowly or not at all from China to markets *other than the US*.

Amazon still has the XOSS G+ in stock and most customer reviews are positive. No worse than most bike computers. Even Garmin and Wahoo get plenty of complaints.

Just a heads up. I wouldn't change my opinion of the XOSS, but this may not be the best time to buy one unless the low price is a reasonable gamble. I might put one in the Amazon cart, then move it to "save for later" and see if that triggers a price reduction.

Last edited by canklecat; 02-26-20 at 02:15 PM.