Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fitting Dilemma

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Fitting Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-09, 10:28 PM
Epicus07 
Velophile

Bikes: See Signature.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts
Fitting Dilemma

I'm riding a 2000 Lemond Buenos Aires. Like a noob i have my saddle pushed forward to compensate for a long reach to the handlebars. I'm 5'10'' The bike is a 55cm and it really shouldn't be too big for me. I know Lemond makes bikes with longer top tubes so the tube is probably a 55.5.

I feel that If i were to center my saddle rather than having it pushed forward, I would find a better balance on the bike and have an easier time riding long distances which is what i like to do.
I'm currently using a 70mm Stem and have been advised NOT to switch to a 50mm Stem.

In the bikes current set up, when i am comfortable on the hoods, i can see the axle slightly behind the handlebars as I'm looking down. I want to push the saddle back but i'm afraid it will make my reach too far and I can't swap out the stem.

I love my bike...Any suggestions?
Old 12-27-09, 11:10 PM
Ware

Bikes: 2009 Felt F75, 2007 Trek 7.2FX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you would be better served here if you were to post a couple pictures of you on the bike. Even a static image of you on it would be better than nothing. By the way, height alone isn't that great of an indicator for frame sizing. What's your cycling inseam?

Maybe there's something particularly off with your posture? Do you rotate your hips forward when you ride?

I'll stop there, before I advise more than my experience dictates I should. However, I have also had to deal with a bike that is a bit on the long side for my frame.
Old 12-27-09, 11:15 PM
Thirstyman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
saddle set back should be proper relative to the bottom bracket. stem should be adjusted to fit the reach. end of story
Old 12-27-09, 11:39 PM
Epicus07 
Velophile

Bikes: See Signature.

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts
I'll post a pic of me on the bike tomorrow.

What are your thoughts on running a 50 mm stem?
Old 12-27-09, 11:57 PM
Jinker

Bikes: Univega Via Montega, Nashbar Aluminum frame/105 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As you bring the bars back towards the steering axis the bike will tend to become more twitchy. When on the hoods, especially with one hand on the bars, your weight in front of the steering axis tends to stabilize things.

Perhaps a higher rise stem will be a better solution rather than a shorter one?
Old 12-28-09, 01:20 AM
grafik1979

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had a lot of fit issues myself, and honestly if the bike frame itself doesn't fit right it could make it tough to accomodate that. You can move your seat whereever you want, but that might just cause other problems. Also with the stem length- that could help, or it could cloak an underlying issue.

Also, I've found that you're going to get 100 different contrasting opinions on here, and obviously mine is just another one of those. Your best bet is to get fitted professionally (best advice I received) and maybe think of a new frame, or at least the same frame in a better size.
Old 12-28-09, 07:09 AM
LS2379
Gunnery Sergeant USMC

Bikes: Cannondale SystemSix, Specialized FSR XC Pro, Fuji Cross Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I got my new System Six I was a bit streatched out and at my fitting instead of going to a shorter stem, they sugested a handlebar with a shorter reach. I also recommend a professional fit.
Old 12-28-09, 07:48 AM
teterider
On the Move

Bikes: Lots

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Thirstyman
saddle set back should be proper relative to the bottom bracket. stem should be adjusted to fit the reach. end of story
This is 100% correct. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise.
Fit is mostly based on the top tube, not the seat tube (although you obviously also need to stand over the bike too). A 55cm Lemond has a 56.5 top tube.

The saddle set back has nothing to do with reach and everything to do with positioning relative to resting on your sit bones and position of your leg anatomy relative to pedal spindle and bottom bracket, etc, etc. Once this is properly placed you get the stem length required for the comfortable reach you want. If you still need a 50mm stem, or even that 70mm you have, the frame is almost certainly too large. But you never never adjust the saddle setback to adjust reach. Way back in my ignorant days I did this after being sold a too large frame by a shop. I spend 2 years of painful hell on that bike until I did a fitting showing me where to start on my setback (a huge 10.4 cm) and then reach.

By the way, my wife is 5-9.5" and rides a 53cm Lemond perfectly and could easily be a little taller and still have excellent proper fit on the frame. But that's not to say achieving the right fit on your frame is impossible, as it may be.

Last edited by teterider; 12-28-09 at 07:58 AM.