Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Why can't I fit this 25.4mm handlebar into a 25.4 stem?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-23-16, 10:22 AM
daveed

Bikes: Soma Double Cross, ‘79 Centurian Mixte, generic mountain bikes (Nasbar frames)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Must I resort to prying open my Kalloy Dirt Drop quill stem (25.4) to fit 25.4 Origin 8 road bar drops? Forcing the curvy bar through the stem seems like a bad idea. I'm not sure why the handlebar doesn't seem to fit. Anyone have a solution?
Old 03-23-16, 10:27 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Are you having difficulty getting the sharp bends of the bar through the stem clamp, or is it the clamping area of the bar that won't go into the stem?
Old 03-23-16, 10:32 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
I like to use a coin and the pinch bolt to slightly pry open clamps. This also works with seat post clamps.

Remove the pinch bolt, thread through the backside threads, and place a coin in the slot that the pinch bolt will hard stop against. Continuing to turn the bolt will slightly spread the clamp. Much preferable and safer than prying open with a flathead screwdriver.

This will not work if the tapped end is a blind hole or if the geometry of the stem does not allow you to start the pinch bolt through the threaded side.

Edit: looking at photos of the Kalloy dirt drop stem, it appears to be a blind hole.
Old 03-23-16, 10:53 AM
daveed

Bikes: Soma Double Cross, ‘79 Centurian Mixte, generic mountain bikes (Nasbar frames)

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Yes, getting the sharp bends through the stem clamp. Thanks.
Old 03-23-16, 10:57 AM
daveed

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by aggiegrads
I like to use a coin and the pinch bolt to slightly pry open clamps. This also works with seat post clamps.

Remove the pinch bolt, thread through the backside threads, and place a coin in the slot that the pinch bolt will hard stop against. Continuing to turn the bolt will slightly spread the clamp. Much preferable and safer than prying open with a flathead screwdriver.

This will not work if the tapped end is a blind hole or if the geometry of the stem does not allow you to start the pinch bolt through the threaded side.

Edit: looking at photos of the Kalloy dirt drop stem, it appears to be a blind hole.
Blind hole. Grrr!
Old 03-23-16, 10:59 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
A well designed stem is less wide on the bolt side . the narrow part of the stem faces the radius center of the bends,

You probably have to remove the stem from the fork to get it to turn the proper way to have it sliding around the curves ..
Old 03-23-16, 11:01 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Oh and make sure its not a 26mm bar . drop bars in 1" centers have not been a thing for decades ..
Old 03-23-16, 11:29 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,834 Times in 2,293 Posts
This thread is a VERY good example of why buying by the numbers only still can end up with problems. (And I'm not trying to pick on the OP, just using his issue as a learning point). On paper the stem and bars are compatible. But in real life the bars curves are such that they hang up on the stem's clamp width. The bars are made in the era of removable face plate stems where the bar shape is no issue to install. The stem was designed in an era of bars having large enough curves to pass through the stem's clamp width. These "dimensions" are never stated because either manufacturer didn't have the other's product in mind.

The solutions have already been stated. Try opening up the stem's clamp either with a bolt forced manor or a pry bar one. Grease up the bar's curves. Be willing to have some bar marring. In the end there is a point that a good mechanic will say the combo won't work. Knowing when to back away from the bench is a very good skill to have, too bad too few accept this option. Andy.
Likes For Andrew R Stewart:
Old 03-23-16, 11:38 AM
daveed

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
This thread is a VERY good example of why buying by the numbers only still can end up with problems. (And I'm not trying to pick on the OP, just using his issue as a learning point). On paper the stem and bars are compatible. But in real life the bars curves are such that they hang up on the stem's clamp width. The bars are made in the era of removable face plate stems where the bar shape is no issue to install. The stem was designed in an era of bars having large enough curves to pass through the stem's clamp width. These "dimensions" are never stated because either manufacturer didn't have the other's product in mind.

The solutions have already been stated. Try opening up the stem's clamp either with a bolt forced manor or a pry bar one. Grease up the bar's curves. Be willing to have some bar marring. In the end there is a point that a good mechanic will say the combo won't work. Knowing when to back away from the bench is a very good skill to have, too bad too few accept this option. Andy.
Heh-heh. Well-stated, sir. (I have another hair-brained project going, but will save it for a future post.)
Old 03-23-16, 01:25 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 3,343 Posts
It seems as if I've often had to twist the bars a bit to find the "sweet spot" to get around the curves, although a perfect cylinder shouldn't need it.

Just make sure you figure out which way to start, and don't install the bars backwards
Old 03-23-16, 01:37 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5755 Post(s)
Liked 2,524 Times in 1,395 Posts
You may NEVER get this to fit.

Stems made for drop bars are carefully designed with relieved areas which can clear the inside radius of a drop bar. It's sometimes a bit of a chinese puzzle to keep turning the bar so the inside of the curve is where the relief is, but that's how it's done.

OTOH stems made for BMX or upright bars which lack sharp inside curves don't need and often don't have this relief, so no curvy bar can ever be slid in.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-23-16, 01:41 PM
CliffordK

My Bike Friday just cuts the bars right down the middle.
It is EASY to install, even with brifters and tape already on the bars

Ok, so the bars have an internal sleeve, and they have a special wide clamp, but...
Old 03-23-16, 01:52 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12735 Post(s)
Liked 7,634 Times in 4,050 Posts
I'd probably just get a stem with removable faceplate.

Product Description | Origin8
Old 03-23-16, 03:08 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Be willing to have some bar marring.
Originally Posted by FBinNY
It's sometimes a bit of a chinese puzzle to keep turning the bar so the inside of the curve is where the relief is, but that's how it's done.
This is my experience with quill stems and drop bars. Sometimes it seems like it won't pass, but then I turn the stem and bars in various ways and it slips through. I usually scratch the bars, but since I'm going to have bar tape over the scratched spots that doesn't bother me. I haven't run into a combination that just won't work, but I don't doubt that it happens.

I've got a Salsa Poco bar which is compact and has the weird zig zag bend on the drops. Those are always a challenge to get through any stem without a separate face plate, but so far I've managed it.
Old 03-23-16, 03:27 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

For those dealing with classic single bolt road stems

Here's an old trick from BITD.

Remove the bolt, and thread it in from the opposite (threaded) side. Place a penny in the slot, and turn the bolt in until it makes contact. Then you can use the bolt to gently jack the stem open a millimeter or two and prevent scratching a bar as you install it. Just be careful to make sure the penny is not in the way, and don't jack the stem open beyond it's spring range, all you need is 1-2mm at most.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 03-23-16, 03:37 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

For those dealing with classic single bolt road stems

Here's an old trick from BITD.

Remove the bolt, and thread it in from the opposite (threaded) side. Place a penny in the slot, and turn the bolt in until it makes contact. Then you can use the bolt to gently jack the stem open a millimeter or two and prevent scratching a bar as you install it. Just be careful to make sure the penny is not in the way, and don't jack the stem open beyond it's spring range, all you need is 1-2mm at most.

What? Post number three wasn't good enough for you?
Old 03-23-16, 03:43 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
I don't usually read EVERY post in a thread. I do a quick scan, and sometimes miss stuff and end up repeating prior posts. Compost happens.

Likes For FBinNY:
Old 03-23-16, 03:45 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

I don't usually read EVERY post in a thread. I do a quick scan, and sometimes miss stuff and end up repeating prior posts. Compost happens.
Old 03-23-16, 05:06 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
I don't think Origin8 makes 25.4mm road drop bars, just 26mm
Old 03-24-16, 01:50 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
Not when considering post number 5.

Originally Posted by daveed
Blind hole. Grrr!
Old 03-24-16, 04:15 AM
Bike tinker man

Bikes: My 1978 Raleigh from new, 1995 Trek, & constant changing & rebuilding of other bike projects.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
From my humble experience:-

Some stems are slightly wider than others at the clamp area, & some drop bars have tighter bends in than others.

I find it best to take the stem off from the bike & feed the stem on the handlebar.
Old 03-24-16, 07:44 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Not when considering post number 5.
And how was post 15 any different? That was my point.
Old 03-24-16, 08:44 AM
daveed

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
I don't think Origin8 makes 25.4mm road drop bars, just 26mm
Origin does, in fact. And, by the way, I twisted the handlebar through the hole once I found the sweet spot mentioned in another post. Thank you.
Origin8 - Pro Pulsion Alloy Gary-2 Handlebar, 530 x 25.4mm, Black
Old 09-06-19, 07:37 AM
Manu431

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 26 Posts
I have faced the same problem yesterday.
I had many difficulties to use my available 25.4mm stem (which was installed previously installed with a city handlebar 25.4mm) to fit on my new purchased 25.4mm drop bar.
It is very frustrating.

I finally managed with difficulties to get it thru the curve, but the bar is now full of scratching . Not really a problem because it will be covered with bartape, but I don't like the concept at all of scratching a brand new drop bar.

But it is not finished. Once the curve has been passed thru, the stem doesn't fit on the 25.4mm center part of the dropbar (24.5mm written on the handlebar). It should, but it doesn't fit.
it looks as the stem is just slightly to small, but i can not install it on the drop bar. I should open the stem a little, but I could not managed to find a solution to open it a little that at the moment. I should try again, or resigned and purchase a new front-opened stem.
my stem has no thread side. It use screw and nut, so I don't think that the trick with a coin could work.

Totally annoying.