Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Kickstand?

Old 06-26-19, 09:22 PM
kdeleon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Kickstand?

So I'm getting back into biking after many years. I'm looking to get a nicer bike (leaning towards a Sirrus). Anyway, I see in the higher end models most people don't put some kind of kickstand, or at least that is what it seems. I understand for home people have some kind of stand or holder. But what does everyone do when outside their home. Like don't you stop somewhere or if you travel and don't have your home stand. Or maybe people do have kickstands and I just missed it.

Can you recommend a way to stand the bike away from the home base? And if it is a kickstand, maybe a specific model.
Likes For kdeleon:
Old 06-26-19, 09:26 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Rear mount such as a Greenfield is useful and nearly universal. Newer bikes with disc brakes have frame fitting bosses that might interfere with mounting these.

Last edited by thumpism; 06-26-19 at 09:30 PM.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 06-26-19, 09:39 PM
TacosGalore

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
how about an ..

topeak flashstand?

Old 06-26-19, 09:47 PM
kdeleon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TacosGalore

topeak flashstand?

I had something like this before but a big one, so not portable. So have you traveled with it or do you have to pack it every time you ride and think you may stop?
Old 06-26-19, 09:54 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,578 Posts
If I am going somewhere I will want to lock up my bike and if I am doing that the kickstand wouldn't be used and if I am making a short stop and will be near my bike I generally just lean it against the rubber of the rear wheel and it acts as a natural kickstand. The time that doesn't work well is sometimes with racks and a lot of times with fenders.

The only time I would want a kickstand is maybe on a heavy bike like an e-bike or cargo bike or if they had one that integrated nicely and was designed for the bike like say the old Scott SUBs. Two bolts are way better than one and unfortunately few bikes have a two bolt stand so the one bolt can come loose and the kickstand could move around and get caught somewhere or make noise or deploy when you really don't want it to. Plus schlepping the extra weight for a little convenience once and while just doesn't jive with me.
Old 06-26-19, 09:58 PM
Rje58

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Absolute 3.0 -- 1997 Trek 830 (modified to hybrid)

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 548 Times in 170 Posts
My wife and I have the Greenfield rear stands on all our bikes. We use them every time we ride. Even just taking a break on the side of the road, we find them useful so we can walk around a bit and move away from the bike without having to find something to lean it against, or laying it down. I also find it useful when I am doing solo rides and I need to make an adjustment out on the road, change out a tail light, etc.

Last edited by Rje58; 06-26-19 at 10:01 PM.
Likes For Rje58:
Old 06-26-19, 11:54 PM
TacosGalore

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh

Originally Posted by kdeleon
I had something like this before but a big one, so not portable. So have you traveled with it or do you have to pack it every time you ride and think you may stop?
I haven’t actually used it my self but since you mentioned you were looking for away home stand. I remember searching the web and stumbling upon it awhile back. I believe it dose the job for its size.
Old 06-27-19, 03:55 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I have kickstands on some one of my bikes, two I don't. I'm not a purist about it, but found almost invariably there is somewhere to lean the bike or I'm locking it up at bike rack - so never bothered on the last 2 bikes.

If not, there is usually a curb in a parking lot that you can lean your pedal on and the bike stands up just fine. If there is no curb, you can put your helmet down and make it act as a curb.
Old 06-27-19, 04:10 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
You don't need a kickstand. Just lean your bike against a wall or a tree or a post or lay it on the ground.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 06-27-19, 04:43 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
You don't need a kickstand. Just lean your bike against a wall or a tree or a post or lay it on the ground.

Old 06-27-19, 04:50 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts

The only time I ever use a kickstand is loading and unloading my bike for commuting. This is my version, bike is shown without panniers. Kickstands can tip a bike too easily, either with wind or cargo weight.
Old 06-27-19, 05:39 AM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Get and use kickstands, don't be a "purist" (snob)! Next you will be shaving (if you are male) your legs!
Likes For gringomojado:
Old 06-27-19, 05:56 AM
Kovkov

Bikes: 1957 Alpa Special, 1963 Condor Delta, 1967 Tigra Sprint, 1977 Oltenia, 1987 Mondia, 1965 Staco de luxe, 1969 Amberg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
Pletscher esge.
Old 06-27-19, 06:38 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
I just lean the bike against something.

Wall
Tree
Fence
Railing
Sign post
Telephone pole
Stack of old pallets
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 06-27-19, 06:42 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 77 Posts
I love the Greenfield kick stand. As it gets hotter stops become more frequent. By the time I stop Im dripping sweat, my glasses are fogged up, and bugs are biting. I don't like groping for a tree, big rock, wall etc. Flip the stand down and towel off!
Likes For boozergut:
Old 06-27-19, 06:49 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
I have three bikes. My two commuters have kickstands by the rear wheel. My old road bike has none. I lean it against things or against a curb, I will flip it over and rest it on the seat and bars., or sometimes lay it down, but not on the "drive side" so the rear deraillier cage won't be pushed out of alignment.

If you must lean your bike, please be mindful of other's possessions and property, i.e. cars, windows, decorative railings, murals, etc.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 06-27-19, 07:08 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I have a dual (forked) kickstand on Tempest. I put a custom paint job on my frames, why tear it up and leave it lying around like detritus? I still have a spare stand in reserve, and I find it very awkward to not be able to just flick it down and up again with my left foot. With a dual stand you simply move the bike forward and it goes up. Simplemente. A rear stand doesn't look like it will handle having a load over the back wheel to me, so it's not practical with baskets/panniers/saddlebags IMO.
Old 06-27-19, 07:11 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by gringomojado
Get and use kickstands, don't be a "purist" (snob)! Next you will be shaving (if you are male) your legs!
What? Women can't shave their legs too?
Likes For GlennR:
Old 06-27-19, 07:26 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
" (leaning towards a Sirrus). "
may I suggest you lean towards a model with a mount for a kickstand , mount for short chainstay sport/race style bikes

would be by the rear Left, some now bolt directly on with 2 bolts Trek - Bontrager is doing that for the world market..
this from www.pletscher.ch

alternatives are something you bring with you Click-Stand Home Page and the upstand https://upstandingbicycle.com/ ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-27-19 at 08:34 AM.
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 06-27-19, 07:55 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 420 Posts
Somebody on the Eroica ride this year had a Clickstand at the Lighthouse stop, and lots of people were checking it out. Seems to work for them. I think they were riding a tandem. I haven't had a kickstand on a bike since 5th grade. There is always a tree, post, fence, rock, or something to lean against. That being said, I got a nice big scratch on the top tube of my fancy carbon road bike from leaning against an aluminum flag pole. I put the saddle against the pole, and a gust of wind or something slid the bike from the pole, it fell, and slid along the pole taking paint with it. Stuff happens. Still not a fan of stands, but I don't ride loaded touring bikes or make a lot of stops.
Old 06-27-19, 08:08 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Greenfield rear kickstand is what I use, on everything but my disc brake bike (doesn't fit) or the vintage ones with built in stands.

If you want one, get one. Don't let people shame you into not using one, it is one of those topics that the "purists" can't resist telling you how wrong you are for not doing it their way. Contrary to what they will have you believe, bikes fall over propped against stuff just as much as they fall over on a properly installed and adjusted kickstand for me, which is relatively infrequently in both cases.
Likes For jefnvk:
Old 06-27-19, 08:10 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by gringomojado
This combination of bizarre punctuation, snobbery disguised as anti-snobbery, and casual misogyny, is peak bikeforums.
Likes For ksryder:
Old 06-27-19, 08:20 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
I like kickstands. Much like I like centerstands on motorcycles. But then I ride rather pedestrian types of bicycles where a kickstand is more of a help than a hindrance.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 06-27-19, 08:34 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Green field makes a rear triangle clamp on , adapter to use the center stand they already made a zillion of..

The Swiss Approach is lighter, to perform the same task..

Old 06-27-19, 01:53 PM
kdeleon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
All,
Thanks for all the suggestions and experiences. This was really helpful. Seems like Greenfield is pretty popular and I'm leaning to look into Clickstand. But for now, I think I will go with the lean method except for home where I will get some kind of stand.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.