Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Power Meters (Why?)

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Power Meters (Why?)

Old 10-28-19, 05:00 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
I also don't need a Fitbit to tell me how many steps I took in a day. WTF.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 10-28-19, 05:08 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
A powermeter is also a good way to get on Zwift or Trainerroad. Which makes indoor training bearable which means you're more likely to do it over the winter, which means you'll be fitter in the spring.
Likes For caloso:
Old 10-28-19, 05:56 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I am a commuter, mountain biker, gravel grinder, recreational rider. I ride for my own pleasure and enjoyment and I don't care about watts, power output, calorie burn or any other data.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 10-28-19, 06:12 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
I don’t race bikes. Why do I need one?
Even if you did race you still wouldn't need one.
Old 10-28-19, 07:44 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR "Molten Marble"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I also don't need a Fitbit to tell me how many steps I took in a day. WTF.
Very true. I use Garmin though...and I certainly don't need it. It just keeps telling me how out of shape I am.
Old 10-28-19, 09:43 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10901 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
If powermeters were under $150, I would own one or a few.
And if there was a quality one that could easily apply to any crank, I would own one or a few.

They are really intriguing, but not tempting enough to spend $300-800 per bike.
Old 10-28-19, 09:46 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
If I even detect a whiff of this turning into a power meter/technology bashing session, I'll just close it and be done with it. Just FYI.
Yes, because we all must either voice an opinion of support for a topic a mod supports or not voice anything at all.

Dont worry, it isnt power meters that I'm bashing.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-28-19, 09:52 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
If powermeters were under $150, I would own one or a few.
And if there was a quality one that could easily apply to any crank, I would own one or a few.

They are really intriguing, but not tempting enough to spend $300-800 per bike.
I guess if you are riding multiple bikes simultaneously that would be an issue. But aren't pedal based power meters that way so that you don't have to own 1 per bike? Just swap the pedals and go or something like that. I could be wrong...but the Assioma Duo advertises itself as that very solution. Only about $550 with discount.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Yes, because we all must either voice an opinion of support for a topic a mod supports or not voice anything at all.

Dont worry, it isnt power meters that I'm bashing.
I was a bit curious about this...seeing as there are plenty of threads going around BASHING particular bike companies and linking articles that at a minimum would be seen as non-pc, political and inflammatory in nature. But meh...
Old 10-28-19, 10:02 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by N00b_Cyclist
I guess if you are riding multiple bikes simultaneously that would be an issue. But aren't pedal based power meters that way so that you don't have to own 1 per bike? Just swap the pedals and go or something like that. I could be wrong...but the Assioma Duo advertises itself as that very solution. Only about $550 with discount.
I cant imagine changing pedals for every bike I have and want to ride at any given time. Or really, i cant imagine swapping pedals even for the 3 bikes i ride most frequently. Of that is a thing, then more power to those who take the time to do so, but I dislike even moving a saddle bag from bike to bike so each has one with corresponding tube, levers, etc.
Also, I use mtb spds and the power meter pedals I've seen are road. I'm guessing they make mtb pedals too though. Road shoes on gravel isnt appealing.

Perhaps I should look around at options as it's been since early spring since I last looked. Maybe there is now a great option.

Originally Posted by N00b_Cyclist
I was a bit curious about this...seeing as there are plenty of threads going around BASHING particular bike companies and linking articles that at a minimum would be seen as non-pc, political and inflammatory in nature. But meh...
Exactly. It seems so arbitrary to threaten to take issue with bashing this one topic but not all the others.
Oh well.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-28-19, 10:54 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
To maximize training efficiency and pace for the fastest sustainable effort.

With no desire to go fast you don't need one.
Likes For Drew Eckhardt:
Old 10-28-19, 11:57 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
In my opinion, they are just too expensive for the value they provide. And I ride a ton. But I'd rather get some new wheels. Or a super nice rain jacket and more winter gear. But that's just me. I know tons of people really value their power meters.
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 10-29-19, 02:45 AM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist

I see a lot of people always asking about wheels and such to gain speed, but if people invested in a power meter (cheaper than a lot of wheelsets people look for) and incorporated at least a little structure to riding they'd probably see bigger gains in their riding experience than they would through wheels.
Unfortunately, nowadays people just want to buy improvements....which is why they don’t improve.
Likes For pickettt:
Old 10-29-19, 03:25 AM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Originally Posted by pickettt
Unfortunately, nowadays people just want to buy improvements....which is why they don’t improve.
Wait, what?? You're telling me that an e-bike isn't the solution to me being slow?
Old 10-29-19, 04:31 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
I've never used one and I ride plenty fast over very long distances. I'm not racing, so I don't care about monitoring fuel and just go fast when I feel like it, and slow down a bit when I don't. What I like about cycling is that it makes intense exercise feel like play. Focusing on a bunch of data and planning my efforts would just kill that for me.

I don't know if that qualifies as a whiff of technology bashing, but op is asking if the meter is needed. I haven't found a need for it, and I think I'd dislike actually having one. For me, I've managed to get to a very high level of fitness without any formal training and extremely minimal monitoring. I monitor time, speed, distance and elevation. I'm pretty systematic about training in the gym during off-season, but treating the bike as play lets me put in about twice as many hours on it than I'm able to tolerate at the gym.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-29-19, 04:39 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
To maximize training efficiency and pace for the fastest sustainable effort.

With no desire to go fast you don't need one.
That's incorrect. It may be necessary to maximize fastest sustainable pace, which is really a racing consideration, but it's absolutely not necessary to go fast.
Old 10-29-19, 05:30 AM
robnol
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
they are a giant waste of money.....
Old 10-29-19, 05:31 AM
downhillmaster

Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
If I even detect a whiff of this turning into a power meter/technology bashing session, I'll just close it and be done with it. Just FYI.
Did I miss the list of accessories that are and aren’t allowed to be bashed?
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 10-29-19, 07:26 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
You don't NEED one, you don't really need a lot of things we all have on our rides.

however people just like them for many reasons. I have one on my main riding road bike. Its a great little tool and its just plain fun. I wish I had the cash to put them on my 2 other bikes but I can't afford that. Said that I will always have one on my daily road bike. I certainly don't NEED it but I like it and think its a great training tool. I do a couple of races, nothing serious, even besides that I would still have one power meter. They are just really cool!

I also didn't need new wheels, a fancy bike computer, a second, third bike, heck a carbon bike...this can go on and on?
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 10-29-19, 07:29 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Did I miss the list of accessories that are and aren’t allowed to be bashed?
My guess is that it at least includes anything powered by electricity, like e-bikes and SRAM e-tap, new lights technology, etc., etc., etc. Hope we are still free to bash frame materials, LBS and MUPs.
Old 10-29-19, 07:32 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Cycling as a pursuit is an exercise in wants. There are no needs, because the entire activity is optional-- a person could go from the cradle to the grave without ever touching feet to pedals and live an undiminished life.

So as has been stated (by myself included) a power meter is not a necessity. Nothing accessory related to cycling is a necessity, that's why they're accessories. Wants, not needs.

Where an issue occurs is where certain parties start to forward the notion that the collection/analysis of data somehow threatens the Zen of cycling as a pursuit. The tacit suggestion that anyone who dares take cycling away from it's origins in purity is doing it wrong.

This thread has already started drifting in that direction.
Old 10-29-19, 07:38 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Where an issue occurs is where certain parties start to forward the notion that the collection/analysis of data somehow threatens the Zen of cycling as a pursuit. The tacit suggestion that anyone who dares take cycling away from it's origins in purity is doing it wrong.
totally agree, I think there's a subset of folks who are so anti anything that resembles "racing" (even if it means training seriously just to be a better recreational cyclist like a lot of people I know). And I think there's much more negative sentiment against the "racer" types than the other way around. I train and race and I have never heard anyone in my circle badmouthing purely recreational cyclists.
Old 10-29-19, 08:06 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
As others have said, you don't need one.

I had my first season with a PM this year and I enjoyed looking at the data though. And as the summer progressed, I found myself looking more at the power I was putting out and less my speed.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 10-29-19, 08:11 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
No, you don’t need one.

But if you think that getting that sort of feedback and data will make things more interesting and motivating then go ahead and get one.

A lot of people I know that do not race (or even specifically train) record their mileage, time, and elevation. I guess power output is similar.
Old 10-29-19, 08:13 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by honcho
I'm still waiting for power meter pedals usable with mountain style spd cleats so I can put two sets on our tandem to figure out our individual contributions. Supposedly, such pedals are coming "real soon now."
Is this a reference to the long-delayed IQ^2 power meter Kickstarter project?
Old 10-29-19, 08:16 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
I have become more interested in my power input after using a Wahoo smart trainer, which continuously broadcasts your power output.

And if you're like me, and recycle a lot of the same outdoor routes over and over, a power meter can be a fun way to track progress.

Last edited by HarborBandS; 10-29-19 at 08:20 AM.
Likes For HarborBandS:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.